IGNORED

Ethernet Cable Upgrade Sounds Better -- Fact or Fiction?

And other things I don't understand. System is Squeezebox Touch, Black Cat Veloce coax, Moon 100D, Vortexbox Appliance streaming FLAC, Wyred 4 Sound mINT, Transparent Speaker cables, AQ interconnects, Silverline monitors.

I switched Fry's Shaxon Cat 6 Ethernet cables to Blue Jeans Cat 6 Ethernet cables and got much improved dynamics. It initially seemed like voices were a touch attenuated but on further listening I was getting better extension at the extremes -- cymbals seemed more convincing and and base rhythms were much more involving.

Who knows why or whether this will improve with break in.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or am I full of crap?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this or am I full of crap?

I had a similar experience when I installed Cat7 cable in my network.

In fact changing just the patch cable between router and PC made a difference.

IMO it boils down to an improved signal to noise ratio.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

"For the ultimate in Ethernet noise blocking, Fibre Media Converters powered with a Linear Power Supply is the way to go"

I don't think so - better to use a robust wireless bridge in the network between the computer and the hifi system.

I adopted Chris's layout 2 airport extremes and this has been rock solid.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

"For the ultimate in Ethernet noise blocking, Fibre Media Converters powered with a Linear Power Supply is the way to go"

I don't think so - better to use a robust wireless bridge in the network between the computer and the hifi system.

I'm the same, no one has really posted that an Auralic Aries will sound better over optical, Auralic actually suggest using Wi-Fi and turn the ethernet port off to reduce noise from the port.

Mine is fed on the 5ghz channel for my Airport Extreme, its rock solid and sounds great.

If a number of users suggested it improved the sound quality i'd give it a try.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

take a look at the Network Isolation thread. You can start at this post

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/network-isolation-4265/index13.html#post413381

A lot of French Audiophiles have good results with Fibre Media Converters

Sound Test, Monaco

Consultant to Sound Galleries Monaco, and Taiko Audio Holland

e-mail [email protected]

take a look at the Network Isolation thread. You can start at this post

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/network-isolation-4265/index13.html#post413381

A lot of French Audiophiles have good results with Fibre Media Converters

It's a very good thread with regard to Ethernet but contains very little to show the difference over a well implemented wi-fi streaming setup.

In a Aries the benefit in sound quality would have to give more return in quality than having the potential noise removal from turning the Ethernet port off while using wi-fi.

Then we have the £100 cost of implementing and the extra cabling and power requirements, which you don't have with a good wi-fi solution.

Setup:

Lumin D2> Roksan Blak> Focal 806

Auralic actually suggest using Wi-Fi and turn the ethernet port off to reduce noise from the port.

Is there a specific way to do this or, I presume, does it happen when you select 'Wireless' in the Network section of the LDS setup?

• 1 month later...

I'd at least like to use a better than $20 Ethernet cable for my NAS. Any other cable recommendations?

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

You can get Corning optical Ethernet cables (OM3) for $5 depending on length of course. I doubt you could tell the difference between that and Corning OM4 and there exists nothing better on the open market at any price:)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

You can get Corning optical Ethernet cables (OM3) for $5 depending on length of course. I doubt you could tell the difference between that and Corning OM4 and there exists nothing better on the open market at any price:)

Thanks jabbr. Can you tell me why this is a good cable? I'm still learning about much of this.

Thx

Chris

Ryzen 7 2700 PC Server, NUC7CJYH w. 4G Apacer RAM as Renderer/LPS 1.2 - IsoRegen/LPS-1/.2 - Singxer SU-1/LPS1.2 - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC - LTA MicroZOTL MZ2 - Modwright KWA 150 Signature Amp - Tidal Audio Piano's.  

Thanks jabbr. Can you tell me why this is a good cable? I'm still learning about much of this.

Thx

Chris

Check out the "Network Isolation" and "Optical Network" threads. If you aren't ready to plunge into optical networking then just get Blue Jeans 6a cables and don't worry about it.

The most basic optical networking setup: get two FMCs and an intervening fiberoptic cable and you have complete isolation. Lots of people hear an improvement. It is not expensive.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Check out the "Network Isolation" and "Optical Network" threads. If you aren't ready to plunge into optical networking then just get Blue Jeans 6a cables and don't worry about it.

The most basic optical networking setup: get two FMCs and an intervening fiberoptic cable and you have complete isolation. Lots of people hear an improvement. It is not expensive.

Thanks jabbr, I'll have a look at them and see where capabilities lay hehe.

• 3 months later...