IGNORED

Gratitude to CA Forum Members

I thought you were my friend, Paul. But right after convincing me to get JRemote, you turn around & Roon it for me. What bee up with that?

'Vell- ve cannt all be der virst violiners in de orkestra!' :)

Seriously, Roon in $200/year. JRemote is $10 one time. I have not had the time to sit down and compare them. Roon does appear to do a lot of what Jremote does, and take it several steps further.

Honestly, I am not sure what it sounds like though.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Paul I also failed to give you an honorable mention along with George. I really enjoy reading your comments as well. I am struggling to catch up with people such as yourself with your configurations. Today I brought my Windows 2012 Sony Vaio laptop and hooked it up to my work system with my DAC and speakers to test out the sound running Fidelizer and Signalyst HQ. I'm encouraged by the idea of free software gems out there. Still sore that I had deceived myself into thinking that bits are bits and Winamp was the best solution. I heavily modified it with plugins to get better sound, but I'm in a new universe now with people such as yourself as guides. Thank you so much.

You are going in the right direction! :)

Don't understand how your thread got turned into a JRiver JRemote thread but... Yes bits are not bits and your software choices and the direction of improvements are getting you to a higher level which is a good thing. There is no reason to go backwards.

Server 2012 is a good choice and you should take a look a Audiophile Optimizer for the OS.

Good luck! :)

Don't understand how your thread got turned into a JRiver JRemote thread

It was "How stupid I was to think that free software would be acceptable" - and I accept the blame for responding to it. But JRemote vs Gizmo is a classic paid-vs-freeware choice, as is JRMC vs Foobar. Assuming that freeware is inferior because it's free does both the user and the developer a huge disservice. And we should be supporting the open source audio community both by donating a few bucks to favored developers and by providing feedback on their creations.

Freeware can be a perfect complement to high end audio. And saving $100+ on software frees up funds for more &/or better hardware. Foobar and Audacity are great examples.

It was "How stupid I was to think that free software would be acceptable" - and I accept the blame for responding to it. But JRemote vs Gizmo is a classic paid-vs-freeware choice, as is JRMC vs Foobar. Assuming that freeware is inferior because it's free does both the user and the developer a huge disservice. And we should be supporting the open source audio community both by donating a few bucks to favored developers and by providing feedback on their creations.

Freeware can be a perfect complement to high end audio. And saving $100+ on software frees up funds for more &/or better hardware. Foobar and Audacity are great examples.

Umm- maybe. On the other hand, the cost of JRemote or JRMC, compared to normal "audiophile costs" at least, is insignificant.

I think you might be being a little oversenitive to the free/paid thing. At $10, JRemote is essentially free. (shrug) Well, at least to me now it is. There was a time when $10 would have been significant. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein