IGNORED

Gratitude to CA Forum Members

I found CA through a Bing search that led to the Gordon Rankin thread started by [email protected] discussing how USB cables actually make a sonic difference. Many thanks to [email protected] whose grace, humor, and unique perspective have made my life better. He makes me want to consider tempering my listening to so much Rock and Roll.

I admit being a midfi guy, but I've been testing and reaching my own conclusions to scale the learning curve. Here is my early hall of fame so far with only an investment of a few hundred bucks and money being the only barrier for me at this time. Prior to Christmas, I had zero knowledge of computer audio as known on CA.

In descending order the most profound sonic improvements I've tested thus far:

1. Signalyst HQ Player - Until I got the trial version of this program, I couldn't truly understand how MUCH BETTER high resolution files sound than MP3 320. I struggle though the maddening kluge factor of this program, but the SOUND is directly from the Angels. JRiver was a stunning improvement in sound over Winamp, but this program is at another level entirely. Out on a limb, but I feel strongly one cannot truly enjoy high resolution files properly without this or a similar program. If JRiver would license this code, I'd pay for an upgrade.

2. Reputable DAC brand - I was won over by the honesty of the Schiit brand like everybody else and started my journey with their most inexpensive model. It actually didn't charm me at first, but either my ear adjusted or it most likely burned in. I'm deeply enamored with it now and can only imagine how great the other hundreds of expensive DAC units must sound. I am struggling with the technical nature in understanding this technology.

3. JRiver - This could easily have been one or two because I love it that much but sound is king for me. I haven't begun to explore all the cul de sac wonders of their two million lines of code. It makes me want to find a Llama (Winamp) and put it out of it's misery. How stupid I was to think that free software would be acceptable. I think that a lot of love goes into this program and I'm so thankful that I found it. I've never tried other popular software like JPlay etc. I'm stuck on Windows and haven't had the OS X experience so I'm sure I'm missing out on other great programs.

4. Genuine 90 Ohm USB 2.0 cable. I went from printer cable to a Monster USB audio cable. Then to a Belkin Gold Cable. Finally after reading comments by G. Rankin and J. Swenson I spent my dollars on a top level cable from Supra. On my cheapo DAC boards from Ebay, it makes a dramatic difference. On my Modi it does too. I know that objectivists will abuse me, but I refuse to buy expensive analog cables. That said, CA members convinced me. My USB Supra cable is FANTASTIC.

---------

I got my fingers caught in the car door over the Objectivist vs Subjectivist battle, but I'd use a Star Trek philosophical metaphor now: As much as Spock's dialetical reasoning and Dr. McCoy's raw emotion are tempting to follow, I believe most CA forum members are like Kirk when it comes to their own buying and listening decisions. Informed emotion and willingness to take risks.

I believe that the software part of computer audio is so important that I'm inclined to jump headlong into the Windows 2012 server tuning endeavor to really quiet down the system to let the hardware and software shine. I'm going to invest in the best computer and software I can afford and have already started a Sony Vaio laptop audio computer. I'm gonna rip all my sources to lossless. I'm going to buy signal path devices such as the Regen and battery power. Then high end headphones and headphone amp. Then vintage bookshelf speakers like Dynaudio. Oh, and I'm going to subscribe to Tidal and get a Pono.

This is really an excellent website with the best technical information I've found. People let it all hang out here. My kind of neighborhood. Thanks for really improving my quality of life.

I found CA through a Bing search that led to the Gordon Rankin thread started by [email protected] discussing how USB cables actually make a sonic difference. Many thanks to [email protected] whose grace, humor, and unique perspective have made my life better. He makes me want to consider tempering my listening to so much Rock and Roll.

Thanks for the kind words. You are more than welcome.

George

How stupid I was to think that free software would be acceptable.

Welcome to CA! It's always great to see people come into the fold of a hobby that's given so many of us so much pleasure (and so little pain..............crazy-12_files.gif?w=15&h=15). As you rack up more miles on your audio odometer, you'll find that you're not so stupid after all - there's some excellent freeware out there, such as Foobar2000. If you haven't tried it, download it, read up on it and play with it. Many of us find it to have sound quality equal to JRMC, and it'll do the same things although it takes more effort to make them happen. I have a JR "master license" and run it on Windows, Linux and Apple devices. So I obviously thought that JRMC was worth the price - and I still do. The remote access is easy and excellent on all devices with little configuration needed. But don't "sell" freeware short - Foobar's a perfect example of how great it can be (and how deserving of support the open source community is).

We look forward to hearing about your audio journey! Best regards -

David

Yep- freeware stuff can be pretty fantastic. Linux "mpd" correctly configured puts out sound that to my ears, easily rivals or bests most of the for pay competition. But it is a PITA to setup and keep running. Tradeoff for free I suppose.

JRMC usually upgrades the major version about once per year. Buying early is a cheap option I like. Often the updates cost $18 or so. This year I have a "Master" license as well, so I expect the upgrade costs might be a bit higher. I am expecting about $36, but who knows?* :)

-Paul

*Well, I am sure Jim and Matt know, but they aren't telling - yet. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Yep- freeware stuff can be pretty fantastic. Linux "mpd" correctly configured puts out sound that to my ears, easily rivals or bests most of the for pay competition. But it is a PITA to setup and keep running.

My BBB's been running MPD since I built it, and I've had absolutely no trouble with it. Every time I try to add a more "sophisticated" player and have trouble with it, I end up back with MPD. I haven't reconfigured it at all, and it's always there waiting for me like a faithful pet.

And FWIW, I think the sound is as good as JRMC's. All my sources run through the same cables, electronics & speakers - so comparison is as easy & practical as can be.

Another interesting Foobar development is Foobar Mobile. I'm looking forward to its introduction, although I've been very happy streaming JRMC to my mobile devices and work PCs from home through Gizmo and WebGizmo. Foobar's using crowdfunding for this one - they've raised $171k from 2190 people so far, with matching funds from dbPoweramp. I wonder if it'll be freeware with a premium paid upgrade or if it'll be entirely paid.

My BBB's been running MPD since I built it, and I've had absolutely no trouble with it. Every time I try to add a more "sophisticated" player and have trouble with it, I end up back with MPD. I haven't reconfigured it at all, and it's always there waiting for me like a faithful pet.

And FWIW, I think the sound is as good as JRMC's. All my sources run through the same cables, electronics & speakers - so comparison is as easy & practical as can be.

Another interesting Foobar development is Foobar Mobile. I'm looking forward to its introduction, although I've been very happy streaming JRMC to my mobile devices and work PCs from home through Gizmo and WebGizmo. Foobar's using crowdfunding for this one - they've raised $171k from 2190 people so far, with matching funds from dbPoweramp. I wonder if it'll be freeware with a premium paid upgrade or if it'll be entirely paid.

I just meant most people would setup mpd using Vortexbox or some other preconfigured application, just for simplicity. I have mpd running on several boxes similar to the Beagles, but then, I speak Unix and VI natively. (grin)

If you have not tried JRemote with JRMC, you really should give it a shot. It works just fine with Linux installs of JRMC, so it should probably work OK with a ARM release.

The remote streaming is awesome with JRemote, and most people never ever look at Gizmo in any variation again once they experience JRemote. That little piece of software has done more to promote JRMC than anything else I can think of it.

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Welcome to CA! It's always great to see people come into the fold of a hobby that's given so many of us so much pleasure (and so little pain..............crazy-12_files.gif?w=15&h=15). As you rack up more miles on your audio odometer, you'll find that you're not so stupid after all - there's some excellent freeware out there, such as Foobar2000. If you haven't tried it, download it, read up on it and play with it. Many of us find it to have sound quality equal to JRMC, and it'll do the same things although it takes more effort to make them happen. I have a JR "master license" and run it on Windows, Linux and Apple devices. So I obviously thought that JRMC was worth the price - and I still do. The remote access is easy and excellent on all devices with little configuration needed. But don't "sell" freeware short - Foobar's a perfect example of how great it can be (and how deserving of support the open source community is).

We look forward to hearing about your audio journey! Best regards -

David

Thank you! I like the odometer analogy. I thought it might be helpful for me to log the journey and use the opportunity to check with people such as yourself that can help me validate my approach at this juncture. I will get Foobar2000 and give it a run. I will give freeware a chance then after reviewing it on CA. If you have a licence to JRMC and use Foobar then that is a statement worth investigating.

I just meant most people would setup mpd using Vortexbox or some other preconfigured application, just for simplicity. I have mpd running on several boxes similar to the Beagles, but then, I speak Unix and VI natively. (grin)

If you have not tried JRemote with JRMC, you really should give it a shot. It works just fine with Linux installs of JRMC, so it should probably work OK with a ARM release.

The remote streaming is awesome with JRemote, and most people never ever look at Gizmo in any variation again once they experience JRemote. That little piece of software has done more to promote JRMC than anything else I can think of it.

-Paul

Paul I also failed to give you an honorable mention along with George. I really enjoy reading your comments as well. I am struggling to catch up with people such as yourself with your configurations. Today I brought my Windows 2012 Sony Vaio laptop and hooked it up to my work system with my DAC and speakers to test out the sound running Fidelizer and Signalyst HQ. I'm encouraged by the idea of free software gems out there. Still sore that I had deceived myself into thinking that bits are bits and Winamp was the best solution. I heavily modified it with plugins to get better sound, but I'm in a new universe now with people such as yourself as guides. Thank you so much.

The remote streaming is awesome with JRemote, and most people never ever look at Gizmo in any variation again once they experience JRemote.

But it's (gasp) $10.......... crazy-43.gif?w=1400&h=

In all seriousness, though, unless there's some appreciable functional difference like better sound, Gizmo & Webgizmo work great at no cost. What is it about JRemote that will make me abandon my old buddies?

In all seriousness, though, unless there's some appreciable functional difference like better sound, Gizmo & Webgizmo work great at no cost. What is it about JRemote that will make me abandon my old buddies?

If you haven't tried it you wouldn't know. But, everyone who uses it agrees that it is by far the best remote application for JRMC and, probably, for computer audio in general. For the cost of about one CD (updates are free), it should be a no brainer. It's not a question of better sound, but rather one of user friendliness, ease and flexibility. IMO, it is JRMC's strongest selling point.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

If you haven't tried it you wouldn't know. But, everyone who uses it agrees that it is by far the best remote application for JRMC and, probably, for computer audio in general. For the cost of about one CD (updates are free), it should be a no brainer. It's not a question of better sound, but rather one of user friendliness, ease and flexibility. IMO, it is JRMC's strongest selling point.

Can you compare it to Gizmo for me? I'm having a hard time imagining anything it could do that Gizmo & Webgizmo don't. If it's a matter of graphics, style etc it's not that important to me. If it does things I can't now do, I'm in.

Can you compare it to Gizmo for me? I'm having a hard time imagining anything it could do that Gizmo & Webgizmo don't. If it's a matter of graphics, style etc it's not that important to me. If it does things I can't now do, I'm in.

Type "gizmo vs jremote" into your favorite search engine and you will find a number of threads here and on the JRiver forum where folks weigh in on this. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who prefers gizmo once they've tried jremote.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

You will be hard pressed to find anyone who prefers gizmo once they've tried jremote.

I don't believe that JRiver makes any pretence that Gizmo compares favourably to JRemote. The author of JRemote is now part of the JRiver team.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Type "gizmo vs jremote" into your favorite search engine and you will find a number of threads here and on the JRiver forum where folks weigh in on this. You will be hard pressed to find anyone who prefers gizmo once they've tried jremote.

I just did that & got the answer I needed in the second hit (a thread on the JR forum): "For remote control only I like JRemote best. I like the UI better. For streaming to the device, Gizmo has the leg up"

I don't need remote control - I use the app only to stream to the device. Album art may look better in JRemote, and there may be more bells & whistles. But it doesn't seem to do more than Gizmo of what I want or need.

I may buy it just to see what it's about, though. For $10, I'll almost certainly learn something new.

I don't need remote control - I use the app only to stream to the device. Album art may look better in JRemote, and there may be more bells & whistles. But it doesn't seem to do more than Gizmo of what I want or need.

As it's name implies, the only reason to buy JRemote is to use it to control your system remotely from an iPad or iPhone. Regarding the Android version that is now available, the following is from JRiver's website: "It looks and works like Gizmo for Android" - which would appear to beg the question of why you would want to pay for it in that instance. :)

As it's name implies, the only reason to buy JRemote is to use it to control your system remotely from an iPad or iPhone.

JRemote does stream from your device running JRMC to a remote device, so it's both remote control and remote listening. For those who want both, it looks like a great choice. And I really get a kick out of the whiners who complain about $10 for software. We used to look forward to releases of programs costing hundreds and doing far less than today's freeware. We're a lucky bunch to get so much pleasure for so little money today.

Hah! It is difficult to describe a user experience, so like a famous judge, all I can really say is I know a good one when I see it.

Think of seamless remote control - by touch - without a computer. That includes the capability to navigate theater view, if you happen to have the device you are using attached to a nice TV or AVR.

Fast and reliable response. Searching and views setup in JRMC, instant bios of artists, easily adjustable queue, ratings, flawless zone control. Including your device, which shows up as a zone.

Streaming to your iPhone, iPad, or (I assume) your Android device. Audio in compressed MP3 format, or in *uncompressed* format.

Remote streaming . (I stream from my home system to my iPhone, and thence to the bluetooth connected stereo in my Jeep, for instance.)

Airplay or Chromecast support.

Absolutely gorgeous screens (good on a iPhone.iPod, gorgeous on an iPad). Control multiple instances of JRMC.

More.

$10.

Recommended.

:)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

I just did that & got the answer I needed in the second hit (a thread on the JR forum): "For remote control only I like JRemote best. I like the UI better. For streaming to the device, Gizmo has the leg up"

I may buy it just to see what it's about, though. For $10, I'll almost certainly learn something new.

(amusement) Gizmo has a leg up on streaming over JRemote? That had to come from someone with an axe to grind against Apple, since JRemote was Apple-only up until a couple months ago.

JRemote streams are far better than plain old Gizmo, IMNSHO. (grin)

Robert A. Heinlein

Gee- I said IMNSHO. (grin) Actually, Gizmo only streams to a web browser, which is a bit inconvenient for me. Streaming directly to my phone and from there to wherever I want it to go is really - eh - the bee's knees!

BKLogo.jpg

pulling_my__leg_by_efoke007.jpg

Robert A. Heinlein

Gizmo only streams to a web browser

Ummmmm - actually, Gizmo's for Android, Paul. WebGizmo runs in a browser, but that fact is virtually transparent - it feels like a stand-alone application and it works great on my iPhone. But I got a responding post on Interact from someone who uses JRemote to control his Raspberry Pi, so it should work with my 'bone too. I've already saved up $8.50 today......................

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

PS: Did you hear the one about the bee who had a knee replacement and couldn't walk afterward because his surgeon bumbled the operation?

All I can say is that I don't know of anyone who tried JRemote and went back to Gizmo.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +_iFi  AC iPurifiers >Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Conditioning+Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Ummmmm - actually, Gizmo's for Android, Paul. WebGizmo runs in a browser, but that fact is virtually transparent - it feels like a stand-alone application and it works great on my iPhone. But I got a responding post on Interact from someone who uses JRemote to control his Raspberry Pi, so it should work with my 'bone too. I've already saved up $8.50 today......................

rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

PS: Did you hear the one about the bee who had a knee replacement and couldn't walk afterward because his surgeon bumbled the operation?

(grin) Well, not being an Android type of guy, I guess I can be excused for a human failing. (grin) Still, I honestly think you will like JRemote. A *lot*. I will say that I expect a LOT of JRiver Media Center sales have been driven by JRemote over the past couple years. Save perhaps Roon, but that is still only a couple days old. :)

That was a Killer B Joke...

killer bee(1)-2.jpg

Robert A. Heinlein

I expect a LOT of JRiver Media Center sales have been driven by JRemote over the past couple years. Save perhaps Roon, but that is still only a couple days old.

I thought you were my friend, Paul. But right after convincing me to get JRemote, you turn around & Roon it for me. What bee up with that?