IGNORED

Article: Amazon Offers Unlimited Cloud Storage For $59.99 Per Year

Hi Guys - Just following up. I'm now using a product called ExpanDrive that maps to Amazon Cloud Drive and presents the cloud storage drive as just another drive on your computer. This is awesome because I really hate the Amazon Cloud Drive software for uploading / downloading.

It's essentially an unlimited network drive with a connection as fast as your ISP allows.

Here is a link to ExpanDrive - ExpanDrive for Mac & Windows | SFTP, Dropbox, Google Drive, S3, OneDrive, Box.com, WebDAV, Swift and more

Hate might be too strong a word for how I feel about the Cloud Drive interface, but it's not great, I'll definitely give you that. This looks really interesting - thanks!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

One other note: If you have a Synology NAS you can automatically synchronize it with Amazon Cloud Drive.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/5.2/cloud_services#syncamp;amp;ref_=cd_3pag_cloud-sync-synology_all

This is a great tip! I use my Synology NAS for local backup of my music and photos. Adding the Cloud Sync app to the NAS will allow me to keep yet another copy of these critical files in the cloud, using my unlimited storage plan :)

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

• 7 months later...
One other note: If you have a Synology NAS you can automatically synchronize it with Amazon Cloud Drive.

https://www.synology.com/en-global/dsm/5.2/cloud_services#syncamp;amp;ref_=cd_3pag_cloud-sync-synology_all

There is a nasty problem that started creeping in midway through my rather large (several TB) upload process via Cloud Sync from my 1513+ NAS to Amazon Drive. The process is taking months, and there have been a couple of Synology software update in the meantime - I can't point to the exact system change that started it. Btw, my sync is set to be unidirectional only (upload).

My files form a music library which I play using the JRiver media center software. I learned that there was a problem when JRiver would sporadically fail to play a particular album. When I went to check in File Station if that particular albums folder was missing or corrupted, I found that the folder was there alright, but all the files we renamed with _DiscStation_***date****_conlict appended at the end. Now I could reimport all these folders into the JRiver library, but all the tagging info for music that I painstakingly entered would be lost. How can this software (Cloud Sync) be allowed to alter original file names?!

I am waiting for the solution to remove all these harmful extensions from file names, so my music library can once again recognize the files. Anyone has any ideas?

There is a nasty problem that started creeping in midway through my rather large (several TB) upload process via Cloud Sync from my 1513+ NAS to Amazon Drive. The process is taking months, and there have been a couple of Synology software update in the meantime - I can't point to the exact system change that started it. Btw, my sync is set to be unidirectional only (upload).

My files form a music library which I play using the JRiver media center software. I learned that there was a problem when JRiver would sporadically fail to play a particular album. When I went to check in File Station if that particular albums folder was missing or corrupted, I found that the folder was there alright, but all the files we renamed with _DiscStation_***date****_conlict appended at the end. Now I could reimport all these folders into the JRiver library, but all the tagging info for music that I painstakingly entered would be lost. How can this software (Cloud Sync) be allowed to alter original file names?!

I am waiting for the solution to remove all these harmful extensions from file names, so my music library can once again recognize the files. Anyone has any ideas?

Hi Deribas - Wow, this is really bad. I've been using my Synology to back up to Amazon Cloud Drive for a while without any issues. I wonder if you ran into the perfect storm of things that caused the problem. I have 1 Gbps upload and download, so my files are transferred really quick. I can see if there was Synology updates that ran during the backup, they may have changed how the backup actually works right in the middle. However, changing the actual files should never happen. If any changing needs to happen it should be a copied temporary version of such files.

Can you share screenshot of this? I's really like to see exactly what's happening.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Deribas - Wow, this is really bad. I've been using my Synology to back up to Amazon Cloud Drive for a while without any issues. I wonder if you ran into the perfect storm of things that caused the problem. I have 1 Gbps upload and download, so my files are transferred really quick. I can see if there was Synology updates that ran during the backup, they may have changed how the backup actually works right in the middle. However, changing the actual files should never happen. If any changing needs to happen it should be a copied temporary version of such files.

Can you share screenshot of this? I's really like to see exactly what's happening.

Chris, thank you for your willingness to investigate: according to several participants on the Synology forum, the same behavior has been seen widely over the last few months, or perhaps since Amazon came out with the $59.99 "unlimited" deal.

I see these renamings/extensions in all kinds of music and non-music file names. Sometimes, I have seen the same folder hold both the original file, and a renamed one - there's a possibility that a copy of the original file is created with the extended "conflict" name, and then the original gets deleted by some process that Synology runs, some time later. In any event, more commonly I see that only "conflict"-named files are present. see some screen captures below:

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 6.04.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 6.07.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 6.05.52 PM.png

A quick correction: As I browsed by Amazon Cloud folders, I found the duplicates there, not in the original folders on the Synology NAS. So, I can imagine the following happens: A folder is uploaded to Amazon Cloud, its files get renamed on the Synology NAS, thus becoming out of sync, and get uploaded again into the same folder on the Amazon Cloud, with the "conflict" name. See for example:

Screen Shot 2016-06-26 at 6.45.22 PM.png

• 2 weeks later...

After a recent update to Synology Cloud Sync, the files with the "conflict" suffix are not generated anymore. But... for some reason Synology is uploading everything else all over again to Amazon Cloud! Wish I could understand how this sync process actually works and how to make it do what I need.