IGNORED

Article: Amazon Offers Unlimited Cloud Storage For $59.99 Per Year

I use CrashPlan. They do not throttle upload into their service. I have over 5TB backed up with them. Mac, Linux, Windows, and few NAS' as well. I have the family plan, so all my computers and my server are back uped up there. I also have local backups.

Same here. But I went ahead and signed up for the three-month free trial at Amazon anyway - no harm in trying it out.

The one thing I'd like to see at Amazon is better support for incremental backups (similar to Crash Plan). I'd like a "set it and forget it" option; i.e., every file I add to "watched" directories gets uploaded automatically and is never deleted.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Same here. But I went ahead and signed up for the three-month free trial at Amazon anyway - no harm in trying it out.

The one thing I'd like to see at Amazon is better support for incremental backups (similar to Crash Plan). I'd like a "set it and forget it" option; i.e., every file I add to "watched" directories gets uploaded automatically and is never deleted.

Don't hold your breathe. Amazon doesn't intend for the service to be a back up service. They don't even have a sync client (at lease not on Mac). If I recall, folder support in the photo section was very poor. Basically, you get what you pay for.

Don't hold your breathe. Amazon doesn't intend for the service to be a back up service. They don't even have a sync client (at lease not on Mac). If I recall, folder support in the photo section was very poor. Basically, you get what you pay for.

What is wrong with using rsynch or soething like that? No deduplicatin, but I am sure Amazon is using dedup. :)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

What is wrong with using rsynch or soething like that? No deduplicatin, but I am sure Amazon is using dedup. :)

I would love that, but for photos, at least, the remote Amazon server isn't mountable. One has to use their client to upload content. It's a brain-dead client, if I recall. Just uploads what you tell it to upload. No sync feature.

Yep, just downloaded Amazon Cloud Drive for my Mac. At least for the "free" photo service for Prime members, you have to use the App to upload. Brain-dead.

Hi Ed,

sounds promising. How fast is your line?

Hi, it's 75/75 Mbps. So far I've uploaded 1.3 TB. The last folder I uploaded was about 400 GB and the speed was about 25 GB per hour. Folders sizes that are less than 100 GB seem to upload a bit faster, I'd estimate about 40 GB per hour.

"Ummmm.....75/75" (in Homer Simpson voice). That would make computer audio life a lot easier. Here in NE Ohio I have 16/2.

Yes, would be nice. I have 100/5 (soon to be 300/20). Downloads are great, but I do a lot of uploading, too . . . just very slowly.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

"Ummmm.....75/75" (in Homer Simpson voice). That would make computer audio life a lot easier. Here in NE Ohio I have 16/2.

25/2 (nominal, actual upload speed is more like 1MB/s). Slowly, slowly goes the ~700GB transfer to Amazon Cloud....

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

We're using Verizon FIOS. There are quite a few things I don't like about Verizon, like their routers, but after switching to a much better router I've been pretty happy.

I'm in the same boat. TWC sucks! Literally across town there are other options.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

We're using Verizon FIOS. There are quite a few things I don't like about Verizon, like their routers, but after switching to a much better router I've been pretty happy.

marioed, as a Verizon FIOS customer also which router did you replace their router with. Appreciate any suggestions. Verizon FIOS is offering an upgraded router for $199 + which I am reluctant to purchase.

Sorry for the OT.

Best,

Richard

marioed, as a Verizon FIOS customer also which router did you replace their router with. Appreciate any suggestions. Verizon FIOS is offering an upgraded router for $199 + which I am reluctant to purchase.

Sorry for the OT.

Best,

Richard

deleted.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I use CrashPlan. They do not throttle upload into their service. I have over 5TB backed up with them. Mac, Linux, Windows, and few NAS' as well. I have the family plan, so all my computers and my server are back uped up there. I also have local backups.

Is there a service where the initial backup is done by you sending them a hard drive identical in structure to the one you'd be backing up?

I have 300/20 (twc in nyc). Great to stream, not so hot to upload.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Is there a service where the initial backup is done by you sending them a hard drive identical in structure to the one you'd be backing up?

I have 300/20 (twc in nyc). Great to stream, not so hot to upload.

I've never found any service that offers more than 1TB for the initial backup if you send a drive in and has unlimited. This is why I've never done an online backup. It would take forever and virtually shut down my internet service. Much more cost effective to have another NAS offsite.

Sorry for the OT.

Best,

Richard

Richard, I'm slated to get a 3-pack of the new Eero routers this summer. https://www.eero.com/ Hope they work as nicely as the preliminary marketing hype wants me to believe. :) If they do, I'll have a spare Asus RT-68U. ASUS RT-AC68U review - Engadget

Have a look at the Eero and see what you think; if you might be interested in the Asus, PM me.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I've never found any service that offers more than 1TB for the initial backup if you send a drive in and has unlimited. This is why I've never done an online backup. It would take forever and virtually shut down my internet service. Much more cost effective to have another NAS offsite.

When I did the initial upload to CrashPlan, it was certainly the case that it monopolized my home Internet. I was pretty much forced to use their send-a-drive-in startup service, which was not cheap. :( Whatever the reason, uploading to Amazon has had no such effect, so I am able to just let it go on in the background. Also, though the UI isn't great so you wouldn't know, clicking the "Cancel" button in the desktop app allows what you've uploaded thus far to stay on Amazon's servers, and uploads after that are de-duped, so it simply has the effect of allowing you to pause the upload if you need to do something else with your computer for a while.

When I did the initial upload to CrashPlan, it was certainly the case that it monopolized my home Internet. I was pretty much forced to use their send-a-drive-in startup service, which was not cheap. :( Whatever the reason, uploading to Amazon has had no such effect, so I am able to just let it go on in the background. Also, though the UI isn't great so you wouldn't know, clicking the "Cancel" button in the desktop app allows what you've uploaded thus far to stay on Amazon's servers, and uploads after that are de-duped, so it simply has the effect of allowing you to pause the upload if you need to do something else with your computer for a while.

How can it not affect the whole network while uploading?

Hmmmm.....I just did a quick back-of-napkin calculation. My internet connection is 120mbps down/7mpbs up. At 7mbps, I've calculated that with TCP/IP overhead, network latency, etc it would take 6 months to transfer my 6TB of data up to a cloud service. I'm now wondering if it's really all that worthwhile to get this kind of service. I love the idea of cloud backup but will have to re-think this (I think :)

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

How can it not affect the whole network while uploading?

I honestly have no idea. As I said, the CrashPlan upload brought everything to a screeching halt. Whether the Amazon upload comes with some sort of QoS magic that ramps it down when you're using the network for other stuff, I don't know. But I haven't had any network problems, and the upload numbers steadily continue to grow.

My upload just bombed out after running all weekend. Anyone else see these messages?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17725[/ATTACH]

I'll check when I get home. Try installing XCode and restarting and see whether it has kept what you've already uploaded and starts about where you left off.

Sorry for the OT.

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard,

I went through a couple of stages, first I got Verizon to swap the Actiontec router they originally supplied for one that did 10/100/1000 Ethernet. The wireless signal on the new Verizon router was pretty weak so I got an ASUS RT-N66R router and configured the Verizon Router to serve as a modem. The Verizon router converts the coax FIOS signal to Ethernet. I then installed merlin firmware on the ASUS and connected it to the Verizon. Nice strong wireless signal throughout the house and features like guest networks that the Verizon didn't have as well as better security.

The directions on how to do all the setups are available on the internet, if you can't find them let me know and I'll post some links. Having the Verizon router in the chain is necessary if you're using FIOS tv & want the guides or pay per view.

Regards,

Ed

Am I doing something wrong?

Tried out the Amazon Unlimited Cloud. I have decently fast upload of about 6.33 Mbps.

But it took 1 full hour to upload 1.2 gb... So that's about 1000 hours for a terabyte, and 17,000 hours for the 17 tb of music... So that's almost 2 years running continuously just to upload the files.

Far better obviously to buy a couple 8tb Seagate drives for $300 each and do it in a few days.

MG555