IGNORED

Article: Amazon Offers Unlimited Cloud Storage For $59.99 Per Year

This offer doesn't appear to be available in Canada via Amazon.ca. Trying to change from the free 5gb tier presents other paid tiers to choose from but this "Unlimited Everything" option doesn't exist. Thought maybe I could get around it via logging into my separate Amazon.com ID but accessing Cloud Drive seems to take me to the Canadian version by default. Pity that.....I too would have appreciated the off-site backup of my digital music files (about 6 terabytes worth). Hopefully, this can be made available to us up here in Canada at some point in the future.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

This sounds very cool! I missed where you switched to a Windows based NAS though - did you write that up? If so, can you point it out to me please? That might be worth looking into.

I was thinking of adding one of those inexpensive WD EXT4 NAS units into the house as a test. They are very cheap, running from $670 for an 8TB unit to just over $1300 for a 24TB unit.

I have serious doubts about any of these little units having enough I/O or processing ability to handle the A/V load at the house, but a nice Windows based SAN might be a better option. Has to work for Linux and MacOS too though.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

This sounds very cool! I missed where you switched to a Windows based NAS though - did you write that up? If so, can you point it out to me please? That might be worth looking into.

I was thinking of adding one of those inexpensive WD EXT4 NAS units into the house as a test. They are very cheap, running from $670 for an 8TB unit to just over $1300 for a 24TB unit.

I have serious doubts about any of these little units having enough I/O or processing ability to handle the A/V load at the house, but a nice Windows based SAN might be a better option. Has to work for Linux and MacOS too though.

-Paul

Hi Paul - I switched to Windows based NAS with a CAPS Cortes server. I also have a Thecus NAS coming in for review that runs Windows.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Paul - I switched to Windows based NAS with a CAPS Cortes server. I also have a Thecus NAS coming in for review that runs Windows.

Ah- and you RIP with dbPowerAmp so you don't get the extra long filename/path combinations. I guess it might be time to give up XLD in favor of dbPowerAmp. (*sigh*)

And look into a Cortes server.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

How is this service a better alternative than Glacier? I have a Synology NAS and have been tempted to try Glacier.

Based on this from Amazon re:Glacier, it looks like Cloud Drive is a much faster way of accessing your data and Cloud Drive data is available on many platforms. Plus, Cloud Drive has a fixed cost.

"Amazon Glacier is a secure, durable, and extremely low-cost storage service for data archiving and online backup. Customers can reliably store large or small amounts of data for as little as $0.01 per gigabyte per month, a significant savings compared to on-premises solutions. To keep costs low, Amazon Glacier is optimized for infrequently accessed data where a retrieval time of several hours is suitable."

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Based on this from Amazon re:Glacier, it looks like Cloud Drive is a much faster way of accessing your data and Cloud Drive data is available on many platforms. Plus, Cloud Drive has a fixed cost.

"Amazon Glacier is a secure, durable, and extremely low-cost storage service for data archiving and online backup. Customers can reliably store large or small amounts of data for as little as $0.01 per gigabyte per month, a significant savings compared to on-premises solutions. To keep costs low, Amazon Glacier is optimized for infrequently accessed data where a retrieval time of several hours is suitable."

Yeah, it also looks like Glacier is more expensive for large amounts of data. If my math is right 500 gigabytes would cost $5.00/month. That is a lot smaller than unlimited. Somehow I have a feeling "unlimited" is gonna go away.

Let us know how long it takes to upload how much data. I'm also interested in knowing how well it behaves recognizing changes in data.

Apologies if this question is not relevant, but will this service stream your .FLAC files back in lossless quality, or is this simply a storage locker?

I've got my entire collection up on Google music, but, the files only stream back at 320kbps.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the fundamental concept here.

Apologies if this question is not relevant, but will this service stream your .FLAC files back in lossless quality, or is this simply a storage locker?

I've got my entire collection up on Google music, but, the files only stream back at 320kbps.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding the fundamental concept here.

It's for offsite backup, not streaming.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

Love it.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I ask why ? why not just back up your data yourself at home. External storage is so cheap and you control it all. Amazon's Twitch was just hacked and I really don't like this part of the "terms of service for Amazon cloud storage 3.3 http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201376540

3.3 Our Use of Your Files to Provide the Service. We may use, access, and retain Your Files in order to provide the Service to you and enforce the terms of the Agreement, and you give us all permissions we need to do so. These permissions include, for example, the rights to copy Your Files for backup purposes, modify Your Files to enable access in different formats, use information about Your Files to organize them on your behalf, and access Your Files to provide technical support. Amazon respects your privacy and Your Files are subject to the Amazon.com Privacy Notice located at http://www.amazon.com/privacy.

The Truth Is Out There

I ask why ? why not just back up your data yourself at home. External storage is so cheap and you control it all. Amazon's Twitch was just hacked and I really don't like this part of the "terms of service for Amazon cloud storage 3.3 http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201376540

3.3 Our Use of Your Files to Provide the Service. We may use, access, and retain Your Files in order to provide the Service to you and enforce the terms of the Agreement, and you give us all permissions we need to do so. These permissions include, for example, the rights to copy Your Files for backup purposes, modify Your Files to enable access in different formats, use information about Your Files to organize them on your behalf, and access Your Files to provide technical support. Amazon respects your privacy and Your Files are subject to the Amazon.com Privacy Notice located at www.amazon.com/privacy.

Hi Mav - Certainly a reasonable question. I personally don't want to control it. one I upload the music I can forget about it. If this was on my own hard drives I have to worry about a host of things such as accidentally deleting it, bad drives, losing it, theft, fire, etc...

To me the ToS # 3.3 aren't a bother. It's the cost of doing this kind of business. I pay $59.99, they can have a liberal ToS policy.

@mav52, as I read those terms, they're just talking about routine server-side stuff. But they're your files, so your choice.

The reason I like cloud storage is in case of something like a fire or lightning strike that might take out both of my external drives (though in the case of the lightning strike at least I'd probably still have my SD card backups).

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Just tested amazon cloud. Apparently file folders cannot be directly uploaded via firefox browser - just documents ( apparently you need

chrome browser) - so for me it's worthless.

if someone has a "workaround" would be happy to hear

You can't use Chrome for uploading? Or, the dedicated desktop apps?

Yeah, it also looks like Glacier is more expensive for large amounts of data. If my math is right 500 gigabytes would cost $5.00/month. That is a lot smaller than unlimited. Somehow I have a feeling "unlimited" is gonna go away.

Let us know how long it takes to upload how much data. I'm also interested in knowing how well it behaves recognizing changes in data.

I actually don't think unlimited will go away. My guess is either or both of the following are true: (1) They're making plenty even considering the relatively few who will store more than 500GB; and (2) This will help draw people into the Amazon "ecosystem" (note the tie-in between unlimited photo storage and Amazon Prime).

Upload time: Aye, there's the rub. I started mine last night (my ISP provides nominal 2MB per second upload time, though actual, especially over Wi-Fi, is less); as of this morning a few GB out of ~700 had loaded. I'm figuring that's in the ballpark of a hundred days or so.... What I realize now is that it's a mistake to set everything to upload (there's no "pause" for Amazon's upload app, just "cancel"). I should be doing this with a few recordings per day instead. Another thing: When I reorganized the files on my main external drive and made sure they all had lovely metadata, I didn't bother to do the same with the backup external drive in the office upstairs. What I may do is zap everything on the upstairs drive, copy everything over from downstairs (could take a couple of days, I suppose - why I didn't bother the first time) and then try backing up to Amazon from the wired connection upstairs to see if I get better upload speed.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Am trying it. The upload for me is excruciatingly slow so far, and it spontaneously stopped uploading at one point. Hoping it will speed up, otherwise it is a no go.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

@mav52, as I read those terms, they're just talking about routine server-side stuff. But they're your files, so your choice.

The reason I like cloud storage is in case of something like a fire or lightning strike that might take out both of my external drives (though in the case of the lightning strike at least I'd probably still have my SD card backups).

Jud , we must have read something different in the terms of service: ""3.3 Our Use of Your Files to Provide the Service. We may use, access, and retain Your Files in order to provide the Service to you and enforce the terms of the Agreement, and you give us all permissions we need to do so. These permissions include, for example, the rights to copy Your Files for backup purposes, modify Your Files to enable access in different formats, use information about Your Files to organize them on your behalf, and access Your Files to provide technical support. "" its using your music files or any files if they wish.

Chris, I keep two off-line backups that are not residing in my home, a total computer including system, all files off-site in a secure location, (a bank along with other important items). I might give Amazon a try, it appears they are using the Symantec web backup Cloud Storage Backup | Symantec

The Truth Is Out There

Jud are you reading the same thing as me http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201376540

3.3 Our Use of Your Files to Provide the Service. We may use, access, and retain Your Files in order to provide the Service to you and enforce the terms of the Agreement, and you give us all permissions we need to do so. These permissions include, for example, the rights to copy Your Files for backup purposes, modify Your Files to enable access in different formats, use information about Your Files to organize them on your behalf, and access Your Files to provide technical support.

The Truth Is Out There