IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Hi,

Update #3 on hotplug:

Here is what new USB hotplug feature will provide in Moode 2.5:

(1) DAC can be unplugged and then plugged back in without rebooting.

- Unplug: MPD automatically pauses and ALSA volume is saved

- Plugin: ALSA volume restored, pressing Play resumes from previous point

(2) Multiple storage devices can be unplugged and then plugged back in without rebooting.

- Unplug: MPD database left intact and not cleared

- Plugin: Device assigned its original mount point (USB, USB2, USB3 or USB4)

Here are some use cases where the Pi can be left running, no reboot required :-)

(1) Swap DAC to another computer and then back to Pi

(2) Swap storage device to another computer, load new music files, swap back to Pi

(3) Power off DAC and/or storage device, power back on when needed

(4) DAC and/or storage device automatically enters sleep mode

(5) Boot fresh Moode image, plug in DAC and storage devices, configure

Regards,

Tim

Thank you Tim. Usually I'm turning OFF my DAC but leaving Pi ON for a night. Now I'll not need to restart Pi in the morning. Great news!

Have you been able to look into DSD256 playing to external USB DAC? Maybe v2.6 will have such feature? NativeDSD.com offers interesting new albums in such format...

Sometimes I'm playing music from my computer via JRiver. I can see "moode UPNP" as so called "zone". Is it still bit perfect playing?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out.

I'm getting an issue with Moode 2.4 and running my RPi2 for a while (I haven't measured, but say at least 3 hours uptime, it varies). Whenever I do, I find my Pi2 has disconnected from my LAN, and I need to reboot it (by unplugging it) to regain functionality. The Pi's power LED stays on, as does the one on my I2S DAC. It *looks* like it could be a wifi power management issue, as if the Pi is putting my wifi adapter to sleep after a while.

I'm using this CSL/Ralink RT5572 USB wifi adapter, which works at first without issues. /etc/network/interfaces also looks right in that wireless-power is off by default. I'm using a 5V/2A power supply, with nothing else in the USB ports. I'm not really sure what else to try; any suggestions? @TimCurtis do you think the upcoming hotplugging feature will have any effect on this?

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone here can help me out.

I'm getting an issue with Moode 2.4 and running my RPi2 for a while (I haven't measured, but say at least 3 hours uptime, it varies). Whenever I do, I find my Pi2 has disconnected from my LAN, and I need to reboot it (by unplugging it) to regain functionality. The Pi's power LED stays on, as does the one on my I2S DAC. It *looks* like it could be a wifi power management issue, as if the Pi is putting my wifi adapter to sleep after a while.

I'm using this CSL/Ralink RT5572 USB wifi adapter, which works at first without issues. /etc/network/interfaces also looks right in that wireless-power is off by default. I'm using a 5V/2A power supply, with nothing else in the USB ports. I'm not really sure what else to try; any suggestions? @TimCurtis do you think the upcoming hotplugging feature will have any effect on this?

Hi,

What is the output from lsmod command?

Regards,

Tim

Hi Adam,

lsmod output shows it is using rt2800usb driver. When google this driver I get several hits regarding "connection drops" for example:

"I get WiFi timouts with the rt2800usb driver"

raspbian - I get WiFi timouts with the rt2800usb driver - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

Also bugzilla report current as of 2015-11-21

https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=62781

Sounds like buggy device driver and apparently the workarounds that are suggested have mixed results.

For reference, I've been using Edimax EW-7811Un adapters and no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY

Regards,

Tim

Hello,

I use a Raspberry Pi for a month now and switched from Volumio to moOde Player because of the improved GUI and the regular updates of the SW. Thanks Tim for your work!

But I also have the issue that the Raspberry Pi isn't accessable in my network after about 3 days running. It's not connected to my fritz.box neither by WLAN nor by LAN. The status LED of the WLAN adapter isn't blinking anymore and my fritz.box doesn't show any IP anymore. I observe this error after several hours not using the Raspberry Pi. DHCP is activated and I also tried turning off the power saving mode of the WLAN adapter as suggested on https://www.datenreise.de/en/raspberry-pi-setting-up-wifi-edimax/

Do you have an idea what I can do next?

Thanks in advance

KiScHt

My hardware setup is:

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

Hifiberry DAC+ Pro (without connected external clock)

WLAN Edimax EW-7811UN

USB-Stick (16GB MP3s and maybe also FLAC)

2 GB Micro SD for MoOde Player

SW setup:

I2S audio device

Volume control Hardware

UPNP renderer enabled

DLNA server enabled

No clearance of system logs and playback history

Linux kernel 4.1.10-v7+

Kernel latency default

Output of lsmod:

root@moode:~# lsmod

Module Size Used by

fuse 81710 2

nfsd 256175 2

ipv6 341384 42

nls_utf8 1173 1

sg 18159 0

8192cu 528485 0

snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus 3857 0

snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c 2129 1

snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s 6701 2

snd_soc_hifiberry_dac 2420 0

snd_soc_pcm512x 15619 1 snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c

regmap_mmio 2969 1 snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s

regmap_i2c 2714 1 snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c

snd_soc_core 132622 4 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_hifiberry_dac,snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus,snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s

snd_seq 53561 0

snd_compress 7736 1 snd_soc_core

snd_seq_device 3650 1 snd_seq

snd_pcm_dmaengine 3287 1 snd_soc_core

snd_pcm 74825 5 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_core,snd_soc_hifiberry_dac,snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus

snd_timer 18157 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq

i2c_bcm2708 5014 0

snd 52116 8 snd_soc_core,snd_timer,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_compress

clk_hifiberry_dacpro 2246 1

bcm2835_gpiomem 2995 0

uio_pdrv_genirq 2966 0

uio 8235 1 uio_pdrv_genirq

Hello,

I use a Raspberry Pi for a month now and switched from Volumio to moOde Player because of the improved GUI and the regular updates of the SW. Thanks Tim for your work!

But I also have the issue that the Raspberry Pi isn't accessable in my network after about 3 days running. It's not connected to my fritz.box neither by WLAN nor by LAN. The status LED of the WLAN adapter isn't blinking anymore and my fritz.box doesn't show any IP anymore. I observe this error after several hours not using the Raspberry Pi. DHCP is activated and I also tried turning off the power saving mode of the WLAN adapter as suggested on https://www.datenreise.de/en/raspberry-pi-setting-up-wifi-edimax/

Thanks in advance

KiScHt

My hardware setup is:

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

WLAN Edimax EW-7811UN

SW setup:

I2S audio device

Volume control Hardware

UPNP renderer enabled

DLNA server enabled

Linux kernel 4.1.10-v7+

Kernel latency default

Output of lsmod:

Module Size Used by

fuse 81710 2

nfsd 256175 2

ipv6 341384 42

nls_utf8 1173 1

sg 18159 0

8192cu 528485 0

snd_soc_core 132622 4 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_hifiberry_dac,snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus,snd_soc_bcm2708_i2s

snd_seq 53561 0

snd_pcm 74825 5 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_core,snd_soc_hifiberry_dac,snd_pcm_dmaengine,snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus

i2c_bcm2708 5014 0

bcm2835_gpiomem 2995 0

uio_pdrv_genirq 2966 0

Hi,

Very odd.

For reference, I use same WLAN Edimax EW-7811UN adapters on 3 of my 6 test Pi's. Two of the WiFi Pi's are on 7/24 and no issues. The adapters never go to sleep.

If I understand the symptoms correctly "Raspberry Pi isn't accessable in my network after about 3 days running. It's not connected to my fritz.box neither by WLAN nor by LAN.", the connection drop is also occurring on LAN connection.

Do the logs on the Router show anything?

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

Very odd.

For reference, I use same WLAN Edimax EW-7811UN adapters on 3 of my 6 test Pi's. Two of the WiFi Pi's are on 7/24 and no issues. The adapters never go to sleep.

If I understand the symptoms correctly "Raspberry Pi isn't accessable in my network after about 3 days running. It's not connected to my fritz.box neither by WLAN nor by LAN.", the connection drop is also occurring on LAN connection.

Do the logs on the Router show anything?

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer. The router doesn't tell me anything I don't already know: The connection to the WLAN adapter is closed. Nothing more.

But what's about the system logs of the Raspberry Pi? Where are they located? Are they kept over a hard reset so that I can read them out after a system freeze.

Is there another possibility to connect to the system? When I connect a keyboard to the Raspberry Pi, can I connect a monitor while it's already running and use a terminal? I don't know if then the system would be responsive.

Or should I try changing the connected hardware? I already exchanged the SD card with the moOde player.

But I can also replace the USB stick with the MP3 by another one.

Or I can disconnect the WLAN adapter and use moOde only with LAN. Originally I only used the WLAN adapter but when it crashed I also connected LAN. But this didn't help.

Regards,

KiScHt

Hi,

thanks for your quick answer. The router doesn't tell me anything I don't already know: The connection to the WLAN adapter is closed. Nothing more.

But what's about the system logs of the Raspberry Pi? Where are they located? Are they kept over a hard reset so that I can read them out after a system freeze.

Is there another possibility to connect to the system? When I connect a keyboard to the Raspberry Pi, can I connect a monitor while it's already running and use a terminal? I don't know if then the system would be responsive.

Or should I try changing the connected hardware? I already exchanged the SD card with the moOde player.

But I can also replace the USB stick with the MP3 by another one.

Or I can disconnect the WLAN adapter and use moOde only with LAN. Originally I only used the WLAN adapter but when it crashed I also connected LAN. But this didn't help.

Regards,

KiScHt

Hi,

If u connect a monitor to HDMI port on Pi it will display /var/log/dmesg log file after booting the pi. This log might show an error message just prior to the network connection being dropped.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim

I think I found the context when an album is not totally played after adding it to a playlist (Add, Replace and Play all function). The issue only happens when the Play all option is selected in the Playback tab. So I suppose there is a problem when ordering the server to play the whole new playlist in that particular context. When not selected, the Add, Replace and Play all function is Ok, wether the shuffle function is On or not.

By the way, the Ressampling is OK for weeks now. The SD Card issue was probably the problem. Thanks for your help. Waiting for v2.5 now.

Best regards

Phil

GentooPlayer (Roon+HQPlayer) ==> exaSound Gamma+e68 ==> Audiophonics Eigentakt / Accuphase A46 / Audiophonics Eigentakt ==> Jensen Supravox / Arai Radian / Fostex

Hi Tim

I think I found the context when an album is not totally played after adding it to a playlist (Add, Replace and Play all function). The issue only happens when the Play all option is selected in the Playback tab. So I suppose there is a problem when ordering the server to play the whole new playlist in that particular context. When not selected, the Add, Replace and Play all function is Ok, wether the shuffle function is On or not.

By the way, the Ressampling is OK for weeks now. The SD Card issue was probably the problem. Thanks for your help. Waiting for v2.5 now.

Best regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

I tested "Add, replace, play (all)" from the Library panel and "Add, replace, play" at the album folder level in the Browse panel and no issues. Play starts at the first track in the Playlist.

Regards,

Tim

Hello,

Thanks in advance

KiScHt

My hardware setup is:

Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

WLAN Edimax EW-7811UN

SW setup:

I2S audio device

Volume control Hardware

UPNP renderer enabled

DLNA server enabled

Linux kernel 4.1.10-v7+

Kernel latency default

Output of lsmod:

Module Size Used by

fuse 81710 2

nfsd 256175 2

ipv6 341384 42

nls_utf8 1173 1

sg 18159 0

8192cu 528485 0

snd_seq 53561 0

i2c_bcm2708 5014 0

bcm2835_gpiomem 2995 0

uio_pdrv_genirq 2966 0

Hi Tim,

I have also the same problem Wi-Fi and LAN connection.

Hi Tim,

I have also the same problem Wi-Fi and LAN connection.

Hi,

It could be a bug in Linux kernel or elsewhere but I'm not able to reproduce the issue in my environment and thus not able to troubleshoot.

My environment has three WiFi connected Pi's two of which are on 7/24, and three LAN connected Pi's all of which are on 7/24 and no issues. I've never experienced a spontaneous drop in any of the network connections. Some of these Pi's have run continuously for 10 days before manually reboot.

Regards,

Tim

Sorry for repeating myself but do you think it is possible to implement in the future DSD 256 as discussed previously? I'm asking because will have to make some decisions about future transport for my DAC and as for now moOde was the best choice. I'm not sure if native DSD that could support amanero DAC's is in the MPD plan...

Sorry for repeating myself but do you think it is possible to implement in the future DSD 256 as discussed previously? I'm asking because will have to make some decisions about future transport for my DAC and as for now moOde was the best choice. I'm not sure if native DSD that could support amanero DAC's is in the MPD plan...

Hi,

Native DSD support in Moode requires the following:

(1) ALSA version 1.0.29

(2) MPD 0.19.x series recompiled against ALSA 1.0.29 libs + MPD requires an additional patch.

Here is more information:

https://github.com/lintweaker/xmos-native-dsd/blob/master/README.md

It's on my to-do list to work on this I just don't know when I'll get to it.

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim

The playlist is indeed created or updated, the first song is played but the playlist stopped at the end of the first song. Next song doesn't start. Again, when Play all option is selected.

Weird ... should I send you anything ?

Best regards

Philippe

GentooPlayer (Roon+HQPlayer) ==> exaSound Gamma+e68 ==> Audiophonics Eigentakt / Accuphase A46 / Audiophonics Eigentakt ==> Jensen Supravox / Arai Radian / Fostex

Hi Tim

The playlist is indeed created or updated, the first song is played but the playlist stopped at the end of the first song. Next song doesn't start. Again, when Play all option is selected.

Weird ... should I send you anything ?

Best regards

Philippe

Hi Phil,

Couple questions:

(1) Play all from selection in Browse or Library panel?

(2) What type of audio file(s)?

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim

I wonder if I do not make a mistake in between the 2 functions in the PLayback tab : the one spinning arrow and the 2 spinning arrows. Could you please refresh me with each function ?

in regards to your questions, action is done from the Library tab (Add, replace and play all) and all songs are in FLAC format.

Best regards

Phil

Hi Tim

I wonder if I do not make a mistake in between the 2 functions in the PLayback tab : the one spinning arrow and the 2 spinning arrows. Could you please refresh me with each function ?

in regards to your questions, action is done from the Library tab (Add, replace and play all) and all songs are in FLAC format.

Best regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

Here are the four Playlist control buttons

(1) Repeat (single curved arrow)

- repeats the Playlist

(2) Single (double curved arrow)

- plays a single song then stops

(3) Random

- plays randomly selected items in the Playlist

(4) Consume mode

- removes items from the Playlist after they are played

Repeat + Single will repeat a single item.

Regards,

Tim

Repeat + Single

Thanks Tim for your clear answer. I think I misunderstood the use of each icon in the Playback tab, especially the Repeat and Single function that I had inversed thinking 1 arrow was for single and 2 arrows for the playlist. I will check again but it seems everything is fine when understanding icons.

Designing icons is a tough job as they are to be understood worldwide. But I think a more differentiated Single icon would be a plus.

Thanks again Tim for your time and your help.

Phil