IGNORED

Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

tcmods

Tim if you interest at ISO SACD implementation here is Maxim(the guy who implement ISO support) change code to meet foobar steps.

Take a look at it if you like!!(Tip from Michael) :)

http://git.musicpd.org/cgit/manisiutkin/mpd.git/commit/

Here is a list with devices that support "native" DSD...

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-3.18.y/sound/usb/quirks.c

P.S In my previous post i meant MPD 0.19.11...but it just a bug fix release as far as i understand!

P.S No2 My opinion on the "native" DSD is that there is no native signal. Always there is a transcode one way or another, except some very high price equipment...

Hi,

Moode Audio Player release 2.4 is available for download at moodeaudio.org :-)

This release includes new Linux kernel, latest version of MPD and updated ALSA utils plus a variety of updates, bug fixes, new I2S DAC's and a really great selection of user contributed listener-supported, commercial-free radio stations.

Note that external scripts can now access current song metadata including albumart url and radio station logo url via the new currentsong.txt file.

Refer to release notes for details.

Enjoy!

Regards,

moodeaudio.org

Moode Twitter Feed

Tim Curtis

Hi Tim, many thanks for your great and continuous work!

I have "tweaked" my 2.3 installation in a number of ways (minidlna config to move db position, installed java and bubbleipnp to stream Tidal on the pi, added dhcp and wi-fi hotspot configuration....)

I was wondering if there is a way of upgrading to 2.4 without starting again from the image (and re-applying all my changes...)

Thanks for any hint!

Franz

Hi to all

I am a new member of the Computer Audiophile forum and a happy user of Moode. I purchased my Raspberry Pi 2-B two weeks ago and performed some testings with Rune (fine), Volumio (NAS mounting issue) and Moode (some pretty cool functions). So far, so good, Moode v2.4 performs well.

Just to share with you on issue with SMB/CIFS NAS mounting. My NAS is an ADSL box setup in guest mode. I was not able to mount the NAS with empty neither filled User/Password fields until I added the "sec=ntlm," option in the Mount flags section. Using this additional option, NAS mounting was OK. I did not faced any issue with Rune but I had the same error with Volumio. There is something to work on the interface side for none LINUX users ...

On another hand, good news for Album art : the soft link to mounted NAS is already created in /var/www. No need to create a link manually as I had to do with Rune. One suggestion, display this link (coverroot/music) somewhere in the interface to help none LINUX users to setup MPDroid / MPad / MPod (I found it using PUTTY).

This being said (hope this will help), you did a great job !!!!!

Phil

GentooPlayer (Roon+HQPlayer) ==> exaSound Gamma+e68 ==> Audiophonics Eigentakt / Accuphase A46 / Audiophonics Eigentakt ==> Jensen Supravox / Arai Radian / Fostex

Tim if you interest at ISO SACD implementation here is Maxim(the guy who implement ISO support) change code to meet foobar steps.

Take a look at it if you like!!(Tip from Michael) :)

manisiutkin/mpd.git -

Here is a list with devices that support "native" DSD...

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/blob/rpi-3.18.y/sound/usb/quirks.c

P.S In my previous post i meant MPD 0.19.11...but it just a bug fix release as far as i understand!

P.S No2 My opinion on the "native" DSD is that there is no native signal. Always there is a transcode one way or another, except some very high price equipment...

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Archphile Mike has done a fantastic job with DSD support and in explaining what the current state is within MPD, Linux and ALSA. I'm sure I'll be chatting with him as I work on implementing support in Moode :-)

The BIG advantage to supporting native DSD format is that it eliminates the need to use DoP which is not such a nice format.

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

Thanks for the info. Archphile Mike has done a fantastic job with DSD support and in explaining what the current state is within MPD, Linux and ALSA. I'm sure I'll be chatting with him as I work on implementing support in Moode :-)

The BIG advantage to supporting native DSD format is that it eliminates the need to use DoP which is not such a nice format.

Regards,

Tim

Superb!!!!!!

One short question as I haven't found an answer browsing the WEB : hot can I add a new WEBRADIO to the provided list ?

Regards,

Phil

GentooPlayer (Roon+HQPlayer) ==> exaSound Gamma+e68 ==> Audiophonics Eigentakt / Accuphase A46 / Audiophonics Eigentakt ==> Jensen Supravox / Arai Radian / Fostex

Hi to all

I am a new member of the Computer Audiophile forum and a happy user of Moode. I purchased my Raspberry Pi 2-B two weeks ago and performed some testings with Rune (fine), Volumio (NAS mounting issue) and Moode (some pretty cool functions). So far, so good, Moode v2.4 performs well.

Just to share with you on issue with SMB/CIFS NAS mounting. My NAS is an ADSL box setup in guest mode. I was not able to mount the NAS with empty neither filled User/Password fields until I added the "sec=ntlm," option in the Mount flags section. Using this additional option, NAS mounting was OK. I did not faced any issue with Rune but I had the same error with Volumio. There is something to work on the interface side for none LINUX users ...

On another hand, good news for Album art : the soft link to mounted NAS is already created in /var/www. No need to create a link manually as I had to do with Rune. One suggestion, display this link (coverroot/music) somewhere in the interface to help none LINUX users to setup MPDroid / MPad / MPod (I found it using PUTTY).

This being said (hope this will help), you did a great job !!!!!

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the nice compliment! I really appreciate that :-)

I'll test "sec=ntlm" as a permanent part of mount string. A couple of other users have same issue. I think it has to do with older version of samba being used on the NAS's.

For MPoD/MPaD all thats needed to get cover art for song files is:

(1) Enter "http://moode" under Connections, Advanced, Local Cover Art, URL.

(2) Cover filename can just be left at its default "Folder.jpg"

(3) After saving this change, go to Settings, Cover art, and press "Clear cover art cache"

No need to mess with the symlink or internal path :-)

Regards,

Tim

OK for WEBRADIO, so easy that I just forgot the basics !!! How to add a dedicated picture to each ? I thought about FTP a .png files into the correct folder but ...

In regards to Album arts, it is not working with http://moode but with http://192.168.0.x (Blackberry local IP). However, some Arts are missing (I have the mooOde default art). These display well in Moode WEB interface, but not with MPDroid. No issue when I add /coverroot/music to the IP. Strange ...

If I can post a Request, it would be nice to be able to, in Moode standard interface, use additional metadata to filter songs such as Compositor (for classical music) or Rating or whatever is definded. I personally use Rating to filter songs I like (value=3) and best songs to me (value=5). This is a good way to build a personal and dynamic playlist throughout albums of the same Artist (e.g. all Pink Floyd songs with Rating=3 and Rating=5). This could look like JRiver's view "Panes" which is quite easy to personalize and use (my previous software).

Regards,

Phil

In regards to Album arts, it is not working with http://moode but with http://192.168.0.x (Blackberry local IP). However, some Arts are missing (I have the mooOde default art). These display well in Moode WEB interface, but not with MPDroid. No issue when I add /coverroot/music to the IP. Strange ...

You may had corrected by yourself, I meant Raspberry and not BlackBerry ! ☺. One last word, arts are embedded in Flac files as well as available in each folder using Cover.jpg.

Regards

Phil

OK for WEBRADIO, so easy that I just forgot the basics !!! How to add a dedicated picture to each ? I thought about FTP a .png files into the correct folder but ...

If I can post a Request, it would be nice to be able to, in Moode standard interface, use additional metadata to filter songs such as Compositor (for classical music) or Rating or whatever is definded. I personally use Rating to filter songs I like (value=3) and best songs to me (value=5). This is a good way to build a personal and dynamic playlist throughout albums of the same Artist (e.g. all Pink Floyd songs with Rating=3 and Rating=5). This could look like JRiver's view "Panes" which is quite easy to personalize and use (my previous software).

Regards,

Phil

Hi Phil,

I recall that user DRONE7 in diyAudio Moode thread had similar issue with MPDroid not handling the host name, only an ip address would work. I think he had a fix for that. Might be worth a search.

Good suggestions for collection handling. Generally speaking if the tags are picked up by MPD then they can be used in Moode UI. I have "additional tags" on my to-do list but have not gotten to that item yet :-)

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

FYI for those of you using new release 2.4, there is a network throughput issue due to old mount settings. It's particularly evident on WiFi connections. It can be fixed by clicking "Advanced options" when configuring a NAS mount and entering the settings below for Rsize and Wsize fields. Fix will b in release 2.5 :-)

** RECOMMEND REMOVE EXISTING NAS MOUNT AND RE-MOUNT WITH NEW SETTINGS

Rsize = 61440

Wsize = 65536

Note old settings: Rsize/Wsize (8048/8096)

Here is some test data from my network when performing MPD DB Update on CIFS/NAS based collection of 14,508 tracks, mostly FLAC. I'm seeing a significant improvement in WiFi throuput with the new settings :-)

Wired: 14,508 tracks, MPD DB update

- New 06 mins, 40 tracks/sec (1.17X faster)

- Old 07 mins, 34 tracks/sec

Wifi: 14,508 tracks, MPD DB update

- New 14 mins, 17 tracks/sec (2X faster)

- Old 26 mins, 09 tracks/sec

Regards,

Tim

Hey Tim,

I just switched 'over' from Volumio and I'm already enjoying all the cool features in Moode. :)

One question about the 'save playlist' feature on the playback tab: In my browsers (Firefox, Chrome), the feature only shows up when I press the search button on top left. To me this seems a bit odd... I wouldn't expect this because to me the two things are not really connected from a feature point of view. Is this intended or a bug? :)

NB: I tried clearing my cache. That solved some layout glitches probably caused by my previous Volumio installation on the same host, the save playlist thing didn't change.

Let me know if you need any other details/debugging/...

Thanks & Best

Jonez

Hey Tim,

I just switched 'over' from Volumio and I'm already enjoying all the cool features in Moode. :)

One question about the 'save playlist' feature on the playback tab: In my browsers (Firefox, Chrome), the feature only shows up when I press the search button on top left. To me this seems a bit odd... I wouldn't expect this because to me the two things are not really connected from a feature point of view. Is this intended or a bug? :)

NB: I tried clearing my cache. That solved some layout glitches probably caused by my previous Volumio installation on the same host, the save playlist thing didn't change.

Let me know if you need any other details/debugging/...

Thanks & Best

Jonez

Hi Jonez,

No, not a bug, and yes it is a bit of an odd way to handle the two features but I did not have room for another button on the UI when it runs on an iPhone 5 sized smartphone.

The UI will have a nicer appearance on Chrome if u bring up "chrome://flags" and enable "overlay scrollbars" :-)

Regards,

Tim

Tim,

Mood 2.4 is working perfectly with the Halide Design USB->S/PDIF bridge attached to a DEQX HDP-4 pre amp (audio path = Raspberry PI 2 [uSB] -> [uSB] Halide bridge [s/PDIF] -> [s/PDIF] DEQX).

The DEQX USB board should be installed in coming days, I will let you know if the new & simplified audio path is still OK (Raspberry PI 2 [uSB] -> [uSB] DEQX).

Regards

Phil

Tim,

Mood 2.4 is working perfectly with the Halide Design USB->S/PDIF bridge attached to a DEQX HDP-4 pre amp (audio path = Raspberry PI 2 [uSB] -> [uSB] Halide bridge [s/PDIF] -> [s/PDIF] DEQX).

The DEQX USB board should be installed in coming days, I will let you know if the new & simplified audio path is still OK (Raspberry PI 2 [uSB] -> [uSB] DEQX).

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

I'll add the USB-S/PDIF bridge to the Moode device db. If the USB board also works I'll that as well.

Regards,

TIm

Hi Tim,

does this also work on iOS/Android devices?

Can use it on my Win notebook but couldn't find this option on my Android tablet.

Hi,

Don't know because I use Safari on IOS and don't have any Android devices.

With IOS/Safari, Moode UI really looks great especially if added as a Home Screen app which removes the Browser frame :-)

Regards,

Tim

No, not a bug, and yes it is a bit of an odd way to handle the two features but I did not have room for another button on the UI when it runs on an iPhone 5 sized smartphone.

The UI will have a nicer appearance on Chrome if u bring up "chrome://flags" and enable "overlay scrollbars" :-)

Hi Tim,

okay... makes more sense now. What you could also do to solve this problem, which apparently only exists on small screen devices, is to use some responsive css-based switch for screen resolutions and enable the hiding only on small-sized screens. I believe bootstrap css, for example, does have some readily available classes for responsive web designs. I didn't check, maybe something like this is already available in libs used by Moode. :)

Oh and, yes, it's a rather minor thing, especially considering the main purpose of Moode. ;)

Best,

Jonez

Hi Tim,

okay... makes more sense now. What you could also do to solve this problem, which apparently only exists on small screen devices, is to use some responsive css-based switch for screen resolutions and enable the hiding only on small-sized screens. I believe bootstrap css, for example, does have some readily available classes for responsive web designs. I didn't check, maybe something like this is already available in libs used by Moode. :)

Oh and, yes, it's a rather minor thing, especially considering the main purpose of Moode. ;)

Best,

Jonez

Hi Jonez,

Moode already uses bootstrap and @media to dynamically rearrange the UI for small screens so if you can think of a more intuitive way do "search" and "save playlist" that works on large and iPhone 5 sized screens, email me and I'll see if I can code it :-)

Regards,

Tim

Hi,

Regards,

Tim

Hi Tim!

There is nowhere in the market(in a reasonable price) 1 bit(native bit format of DSD spec) DSD DAC's. There are only multibit PCM DELTA SIGMA which they can play dsd via internal transcode to pcm....

To clarify my previous statement.

Another thing is if someone can hear the difference, but this is another big issue!!! :)

Hi Tim

Moode OK with the Deqx USB extension board. You can add it to the list.

I had 2 issues with Moode this week :

> the Resampling option heavily crashed several times (red led on, green led on, no ping response, no response after a hard reeboot ...). I had to fully reinstall the card with the Moode image but get the same result when using again the Resampling function. Setup was SOX Very high quality and Resampling at 192 KHZ /32 bits (Deqx standard bit depth). It worked fine with most flac files but crashed with some 24 bits / 192 khz file. I was wondering if it was a file system space limitation as the SD card is big but only limited space was used after image writing...

> the playlist history or system log was full after 3 hours of listening with lots of zapping. Then, and for any new album adeed (clear, replace and play) in the pkaylist, only the first song was played... I had to clear system logs and playlist history thanks to the corresponding Moode function to be able to listen again to a full album. Again, any file system limitation ?

Regards

Phil

Hi Tim

Moode OK with the Deqx USB extension board. You can add it to the list.

I had 2 issues with Moode this week :

> the Resampling option heavily crashed several times (red led on, green led on, no ping response, no response after a hard reeboot ...). I had to fully reinstall the card with the Moode image but get the same result when using again the Resampling function. Setup was SOX Very high quality and Resampling at 192 KHZ /32 bits (Deqx standard bit depth). It worked fine with most flac files but crashed with some 24 bits / 192 khz file. I was wondering if it was a file system space limitation as the SD card is big but only limited space was used after image writing...

> the playlist history or system log was full after 3 hours of listening with lots of zapping. Then, and for any new album adeed (clear, replace and play) in the pkaylist, only the first song was played... I had to clear system logs and playlist history thanks to the corresponding Moode function to be able to listen again to a full album. Again, any file system limitation ?

Regards

Phil

Hi Phil,

Are u using Moode 2.4?

Is DEQX XS-1 USB-Audio 24/192 the module u are using?

DEQX High Definition Audio

Regards,

Tim