IGNORED

Trying out a solid state drive - Fav's anyone?

Hi folks -

As I continue to fine tune my system, I'd like to try a solid state hard drive to see if I can hear a difference.

Is there a particular drive yall would suggest? I would imagine that internal would have the potential to be better than external. Any thoughts?

Full Disclosure: I work for the company... The new Intel solid state hard disk has better read / write speeds then most of the others out there and supposedly has better error correction and a better management system to even out which bits are being used. (yes, they will wear out after a bajillion cycles) I've heard rumors of Windoze booting in 12 seconds...

Ray[br]Viola Player| Parasound HP-850, Acurus A100, Technics SL-M3, Velodyne SPL-II, Mirage Omni 250, Musical Fidelity V-DAC

So, I need to have media monkey on the ssd as well as the files to get the full benefit. But not windows, right?

I am enjoying the process but I have to say that I still like by cheapie oppo bdp via toslink to BADA over the same files in flac via media monkey lynx / aesebu / BADA. My hope is that I have something configured wrong.

My server aint bad but my gut is telling me that it isnt there yet.

the os and media monkey on the ssd. The music on ssd if you can if not on a regular drive.

in media monkey/tools/options/output plugins what do you have selected?

then in the same box press configure and let me know the values...

regards

jesus r

www.sonore.us

ps give me some more info on the files....how you made them and so on.

or something is wrong and yes something is wrong! Raise the first buffer 1/2 way and test. Then retest raising it in increments. Not sure if you need to restart mm each time. Restart mm just in case after each adjustment. With the first bump up of the buffer you should already hear it much better.

regards

Jesus R

www.sonore.us

Jimmy,

Is your computer in your listening space? I've been looking at ssd's too but I'm interested in making an old mac mini quiet enough (so I can connect directly to my USB dac). Just wondering what your goal with the ssd is.

Corey[br]Apple TV[br]Peachtree Audio nova[br]PS Audio Trio A100[br]B&W 602 s2

I am very happy with how quiet my pc is. Shocked really. It is a big case and I had some heat sinks installed and some very large, low rpm fans. I sit about 7 feet away and cant hear it. No hard drive noise that I can hear either.

The SSD idea was me reaching to improve sound quality because thus far it wasnt better than my universal disk player outputting to my dac to my ears. It soulds like I had a setting wrong in media monkey. I am hoping that fixing it will make a difference.

• 4 weeks later...