IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: How To Build A UPnP / DLNA / OpenHome Renderer For Less Than $100

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I would like to share my music UPnP renderer solution for everyone's consideration.

1. Purchase an Android mini PC. Mine is a RikoMagic 802IV and cost around $100. (Android Mini PC's : Rikomagic Quad Core MK802IV - 16GB Flash + Bluetooth - DHL EXPRESS SHIPPING).

2. instal Bubble UPnP server for Android (BubbleUPnP Server).

3. Configure it as an Open Home renderer.

That's all!

What I like about this solution:

- it's very cheap and simple

- has as much functionality as a network audio streamer that costs 10x more. i can even stream Qobuz and internet radio as well as, of course, everything on my Synology NAS.

- I can easily upgrade the DAC and other downstream components when ever I want to. I'm not tied into an expensive integrated product that needs to be replaced when a new streaming service comes out.

- I can replace the software (Bubble UPnP) with new software if something better comes out.

- I can use it to stream video from the NAS to the TV too! It works, and it even does transcoding (i.e. it works better than Chromecast).

What you might not like:

- The audio output on my PC is via HDMI. So it has to be connected via a TV or other HDMI screen. I use the coax output on my TV to feed the DAC/preamp. If you don't like this, there are several options. e.g. get and Android PC with digital coax out already built in. Or get an HDMI audio extractor.

- You need a screen and the TV needs to be on. Again, there are other options for boxes that can operate "lights out", but I quite like to see what's happening via the screen anyway.

- My network connection is via WiFi. Again there are other PCs, like the RikoMagic MKV, with wired ethernet connectivity. Anyway, I am streaming 24/96K files from my NAS right now without any issue.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I built one of these a while ago and all was working well until I upgraded my NAS. The music folder feeding files to the Beagle has changed. I recall having to configure the share location when I originally set it up. I am a unix newbie!

Could you please assist with the following:

1. how to login to BBB

2. Which file needs to be modified- how to locate and open

3. What the correct syntax needs to be for the new share location, and how to change the entry

4. How to save the revision and relaunch

Thank you!

Nice article.

I'm running a Android box: Minix Neo X5 with Toslink(Optical Out). Android: Settings -Audio: Passtrough

This is an advantage cause i don't need my TV on.

My Minix is an old model and not on marked anymore. Alternativ is Minix Neo X7, has Optical Out.

• 5 months later...

It is embarrassed, it seems there is no one encounters any issue like me. I accidentally downloaded the image link for OSX but I checked the img name same as the one in for Win. So I continued to use Win methods (Win32 Disk Imager) to burn the image and installed the program to BBB.

Then I connected the dac to the USB host side but BBB just shut it down, which didn't work. So I connected the dac to micro usb side of BBB using an adapter and able to see NetAudio device in my JRiver laptop. But when I clicked play, Jriver only played for about 3 seconds with no sound and then it just stopped. I had already enabled DLNA settings. So what did I miss?

Do I need to download again the img file from the link in step-by-step windows section?

It is embarrassed, it seems there is no one encounters any issue like me. I accidentally downloaded the image link for OSX but I checked the img name same as the one in for Win. So I continued to use Win methods (Win32 Disk Imager) to burn the image and installed the program to BBB.

Then I connected the dac to the USB host side but BBB just shut it down, which didn't work. So I connected the dac to micro usb side of BBB using an adapter and able to see NetAudio device in my JRiver laptop. But when I clicked play, Jriver only played for about 3 seconds with no sound and then it just stopped. I had already enabled DLNA settings. So what did I miss?

Do I need to download again the img file from the link in step-by-step windows section?

I downloaded again the img file from the Windows correct link and burnt it to mico SD. However, after installation the situation is still the same. I could see NetAudio BBB in my JRiver media center, but when I clicked to play, it just won't play to NetAudio. I tried to connect the BBB to a monitor via micro Hdmi but there was no signal. Does anyone know what is the problem?

I downloaded again the img file from the Windows correct link and burnt it to mico SD. However, after installation the situation is still the same. I could see NetAudio BBB in my JRiver media center, but when I clicked to play, it just won't play to NetAudio. I tried to connect the BBB to a monitor via micro Hdmi but there was no signal. Does anyone know what is the problem?

What USB DAC do you have connected?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I might have damaged the board in the first installation. After the sd card transfer and then I took the card out and connected an Ethernet cable and usb to the board, then I connected 12V 3A supply which meant for a NUC pc to the board and nothing boot up. Realized my mistake, so I changed it back to correct 5V supply and everything boot up and flashing and NetAudio was shown in JRiver. Could have I damaged the board in somehow? If I connect the board to a monitor, it doesn't show anything and says no signal. There is no way to find out the board is still working ok. Should I get another new board to try?

I might have damaged the board in the first installation. After the sd card transfer and then I took the card out and connected an Ethernet cable and usb to the board, then I connected 12V 3A supply which meant for a NUC pc to the board and nothing boot up. Realized my mistake, so I changed it back to correct 5V supply and everything boot up and flashing and NetAudio was shown in JRiver. Could have I damaged the board in somehow? If I connect the board to a monitor, it doesn't show anything and says no signal. There is no way to find out the board is still working ok. Should I get another new board to try?

If the BBB appears in JRiver as NetAudio, then the board isn't defective. I think it may be your USB DACs.

Is anyone else using either of these DACs with the BBB image?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...

Broke out my Beaglebone and added RoonBridge to Chris' image that's installed on my BBB. Had to upgrade libc, but after that no problem. Nice little multifunction renderer.

Can someone tell me how USB and ethernet are implemented on the BBB, are they on the same bus as on the Raspberry Pi? Anyone have these two boards and the Cubox/SonicOrbiter SE to make some SQ comparisons?

Broke out my Beaglebone and added RoonBridge to Chris' image that's installed on my BBB. Had to upgrade libc, but after that no problem. Nice little multifunction renderer.

Can someone tell me how USB and ethernet are implemented on the BBB, are they on the same bus as on the Raspberry Pi? Anyone have these two boards and the Cubox/SonicOrbiter SE to make some SQ comparisons?

Very cool! I was waiting for someone to do this.

The Ethernet and USB are separate on the BBB, so no issues.

• 3 months later...

Don't know if anyone is monitoring this anymore but I've got a question:

How do I disable the mixer so that NO volume adjustments are possible? When I tried disabling mixer_type, I don't get bitperfect data anymore. Do I need to be changing something with upmpdcli?

I'm clearly a linux newbie!

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

I'm trying to set up a BBB as a renderer but I want to use Debian 8 Jessie. I'm mostly there but I'm getting some low frequency clicks. Could someone post their mpd.conf file so I can cross check the settings? I'm connecting to a Schiit Bifrost DAC. Also using the latest version of upmpdcli.

I'm trying to set up a BBB as a renderer but I want to use Debian 8 Jessie. I'm mostly there but I'm getting some low frequency clicks. Could someone post their mpd.conf file so I can cross check the settings? I'm connecting to a Schiit Bifrost DAC. Also using the latest version of upmpdcli.

do the clicks occur with all music file types or only hi-res (e.g 24/96)?

I had a problem with the RPi and I finally found out it is because the USB controller on the device doesn't have sufficient power supply, by default, for the high data transfer rates. Tim at moodeaudio has a fix for the RPi and the same principle may possibly work on BBB, if that is in fact the cause of the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I have a BBB Board from a prior project- not revision C. Will this project work on older BBB boards?

I have followed the instructions to flash the image onto the board but am unsure if the installation ran correctly. The flash took about 20 minutes during which the user LEDs flashed in "cylon mode", then when complete flashed solid. The board did not shut down automatically. After removing power and the microSD, the board booted up but I cannot find it on the network using LANScan. Despite multiple reboots the BBB is simply not detected on my network.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks for your help

Hello,

I have a BBB Board from a prior project- not revision C. Will this project work on older BBB boards?

I have followed the instructions to flash the image onto the board but am unsure if the installation ran correctly. The flash took about 20 minutes during which the user LEDs flashed in "cylon mode", then when complete flashed solid. The board did not shut down automatically. After removing power and the microSD, the board booted up but I cannot find it on the network using LANScan. Despite multiple reboots the BBB is simply not detected on my network.

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks for your help

Hmm. Sounds like the image flashed correctly. Do you have lights flashing on the Ethernet port? Anyway you can connect it to a monitor?

Hello,

Anyone have any ideas?

thanks for your help

Yes the ethernet port LEDs are active, same on the LAN switch

No monitor connection

Hmm. Sounds like the image flashed correctly. Do you have lights flashing on the Ethernet port? Anyway you can connect it to a monitor?

Yes the ethernet port LEDs are active.

No, I cannot connect to a monitor.

Also I have determined the BBB board is revision A5B, at least 2 generations behind the board recommended.

Anyone had success using the A5B?

Thanks

Yes the ethernet port LEDs are active.

No, I cannot connect to a monitor.

Also I have determined the BBB board is revision A5B, at least 2 generations behind the board recommended.

Anyone had success using the A5B?

Thanks

Looks like some people have a problem with that board finding a network. Pulling power from it for reboots can help.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/beagleboard/9mctrG26Mc8

Looks like some people have a problem with that board finding a network. Pulling power from it for reboots can help. https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/beagleboard/9mctrG26Mc8
Hi Chris, Yes that's interesting. On a lark I reflashed the board using an old version of debian 7.1 and it is now visible on the network, with a reserved IP address. So there is an incompatibility between the A5B version and your kernel. I am a Noob at this. My options are now to either manually configure the old board, or order a new Revision C board and reflash with your image.
Hi Chris, Yes that's interesting. On a lark I reflashed the board using an old version of debian 7.1 and it is now visible on the network, with a reserved IP address. So there is an incompatibility between the A5B version and your kernel. I am a Noob at this. My options are now to either manually configure the old board, or order a new Revision C board and reflash with your image.

Update:

I am trying to configure the BBB as outlined in the FIRST CA Academy BBB article from 2013.

Chris, I cannot connect to the NAS. I have posted an update of my progress in the message board of that article.

If anyone can help me out I would be grateful

Thanks

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...