IGNORED

Volume control on amp

udis

hello,

i made the mistake of purchasing an amp without a remote control (they do offer a remote control version, but i wasn't aware of it until after the fact - Rogue Audio - sphinx). I could ship it back to them and have it installed for $150.. but i'd rather not deal with the hassle.

My Dac does have volume control / remote so i could use that. So my question is whether or not having the dac control the volume level is a good idea (currently it's on bypass). If it isn't, do i have other options?

hello,

i made the mistake of purchasing an amp without a remote control (they do offer a remote control version, but i wasn't aware of it until after the fact - Rogue Audio - sphinx). I could ship it back to them and have it installed for $150.. but i'd rather not deal with the hassle.

My Dac does have volume control / remote so i could use that. So my question is whether or not having the dac control the volume level is a good idea (currently it's on bypass). If it isn't, do i have other options?

Gee- $150 for a remote control option. Wowzers...

I would suggest telling them you are returning the existing unit and will consider buying a unit with a remote control, but are a little put off with not realizing that the remote control was a extra cost option.

Why compromise over something as annoying, if as small, as a remote control? The best place for volume control is on your Sphinx.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

hello,

The answer is, it depends on how the preamp/volume control on the DAC is implemented. With a digital volume control, the signal is "dithered" or "truncated" as you reduce the output. After a point, you starts to lose "bits". However, on any halfway decent DAC, I'm certain you wouldn't be able to hear any degradation of the SQ. Saving $150 ain't so bad...

Start with your music player app at 0db ("bit-perfect"), and the volume on your DAC at -1db. Turn up the Sphinx until you think your ears are going to bleed, then throttle back the volume on the DAC to comfortable levels.

Good luck with that amp. I demo'ed one of those, but it wasn't the right fit with my system. At that time, the remote control was $100, but it only controlled volume-no other functions, however, they didn't try to hide the fact that it was optional.

The nice thing about that amp is, down the road, you can swap out the stock Chinese preamp tubes for some cool NOS Telefunken, Amperex, or Mullard 12AU7's, which may improve it furthur.

If you have the volume control on the amp you will have more options down the road. What happens if you fall in love with a DAC that doesn't have a volume control?

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

If you have the volume control on the amp you will have more options down the road. What happens if you fall in love with a DAC that doesn't have a volume control?

From my experience, it is actually harder to find a current DAC with no volume control than it is to find one with a volume control.

I work someplace that sells stuff.