IGNORED

Apple Remote - help!

Alan Sewell

I use Apple's Remote app on an iPad to control iTunes on a headless Mac Mini. Out of the blue the other day it no longer has any artist information in album view. (I prefer to use album view to scroll through albums.) This is bizarre. It cannot have been triggered by an iTunes update, as I have automatic updating switched off. And I'm pretty sure that the app was not updated on the ipad. I did update the iPad to the latest software, but that was a few weeks ago.

I have tried everything I can think of to get the information back, to no avail. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated. I know all the data is still there, because all the artist information on the ARtist tab is fine.

My recent experiences with Apple make me wonder if they just decided to remove this functionality because they have determined unilaterally that you really don't need or want it, kind of like what they have done with the new Keynote, Pages, Numbers, iTunes, iMovie and OS 10.10.

My recent experiences with Apple make me wonder if they just decided to remove this functionality because they have determined unilaterally that you really don't need or want it, kind of like what they have done with the new Keynote, Pages, Numbers, iTunes, iMovie and OS 10.10.

that would be really bizarre. I can't believe that even Apple would decide that people no longer want to see the name of the band, singer etc in album view. (It doesn't even appear when an album is selected.)

i suspect it may have something to do with the new colour scheme in iTunes 12. All the artists' names are now in light grey. I wonder if this has caused an issue with the Remote app. Though after a lot of trawling online. I seem to be the only person howling in rage and despair.

This isn't working for me either ...

Album view on iPad...

IMG_0038.jpg

...no Artist or Album Artist shown with each Album title.

Yet on the iPhone...

IMG_2374.jpg

...Artist (or Album Artist) shown along with number of tracks and total length for each Album.

I will investigate further.

Bill - can you post a screen shot of the "Album" view on your iPad for us to check you are seeing what we expect to see? Also what version of the app do you have? And what version of iTunes ... it appears it may be an iTunes 12 issue.

I do wonder how much interest Apple have in keeping this App up to date - its been months since iTunes update (or was it iOS8 I can't remember) broke the "now playing" art work and no update yet. Its a real shame...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Same bug here, seems to be an Apple issue.

Hopefully Damien comes up with the A+ remote soon.

In a way I'm pleased that others have this fault. I thought I was going mad. Now at least I know I'm not suffering alone.

I also suspect that the answer above is right - that it's an Apple issue associated with a failure to ensure that iTunes 12 work properly with Remote on the iPad.

And like you, I would dearly love an alternative to Apple's Remote.

And like you, I would dearly love an alternative to Apple's Remote.

I know you weren't replying to me with this comment... But I really would wish Apple Remote worked properly rather than wishing for alternatives.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

I know you weren't replying to me with this comment... But I really would wish Apple Remote worked properly rather than wishing for alternatives.

Agree, they should get their act together. OK, it's freeware, but they could either make us pay or realise that this is part of what makes the apple ecosystem attractive. Let's hope it didn't get deprioritied because of focus on streaming.

What is weird that the still seem to have enough developer time to change the layout of ITunes itself at every single release.

[...snip...]

I love your new avatar ... do you have a link to a full size original?

RE: the Remote App ... I've no idea if this is true ... but I did read that it was developed as an Apple employee / developer's personal "spare time" project which was then advertised by the company. The original developer has now left Apple which has left the Remote app in somewhat of limbo.

Eloise

Eloise

---

It is iTunes, not Remote.app.

Well sort of Bill... On the iPhone it still "works" it's only on the iPad it doesn't work (see my images above).

Stupidly on the iPad it still sorts the albums by artist; just doesn't display who the artist is!

Eloise

Eloise

---

I love your new avatar ... do you have a link to a full size original?

RE: the Remote App ... I've no idea if this is true ... but I did read that it was developed as an Apple employee / developer's personal "spare time" project which was then advertised by the company. The original developer has now left Apple which has left the Remote app in somewhat of limbo.

Eloise

Just google Gromit His Master's Voice.

I read the same story. That said, they did a decent job on the 2.0 overhaul. A pity if they stop it now.

The 4.2.1 version of the Remote app is horrible. Among other things, does not show album covers for each track when playing.

So what I've done is delete that version of the Remote app from all my iOS devices (iPad, iPhone) and delete it as well from my iTunes library, still on version 11.4, where I do all my ripping and iOS updates, on my work computer.

Then, I loaded the previous 4.2 version of the Remote app to the iTunes library, and from there synced it to my iOS devices.

It works well still, which is very important to me since I use both Audirvana Plus and Amarra in iTunes integrated mode on my two headless music computers (see signature below). I love the ease of just choosing music at whim with an app designed for that purpose...in fact, for me that's one of the prime reasons for computer audio, to have all my albums in one place and have it super-easy to bop from one to another, or to make up a playlist on the fly, which is a good thing the Remote app can do.

The two key steps here are not to update the Remote app to the current, horrible 4.2.1 version.

And not to update iTunes to version 12, either. That's fine on my three Mavericks systems.

Dave, who for central applications such as the Remote app or Audirvana Plus always keeps the early versions in a separate place on his hard drive before updating in case he wants to easily revert to a prior incarnation

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

• 1 month later...
The 4.2.1 version of the Remote app is horrible. Among other things, does not show album covers for each track when playing.

So what I've done is delete that version of the Remote app from all my iOS devices (iPad, iPhone) and delete it as well from my iTunes library, still on version 11.4, where I do all my ripping and iOS updates, on my work computer.

Anyone have anything further on this issue? My Remote app still not showing artist information. Was really hoping for an Apple fix by now.

Apple has finally updated the Remote app to 4.2.2, which is supposed to solved that problem (and we hope didn't introduce others).

See this thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/finally-remote-app-apple-fixed-24185/

Anyone have anything further on this issue? My Remote app still not showing artist information. Was really hoping for an Apple fix by now.

Apple has finally updated the Remote app to 4.2.2, which is supposed to solved that problem (and we hope didn't introduce others).

See this thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/finally-remote-app-apple-fixed-24185/

Doesn't seem to have done anything to fix the problem discussed in this thread - the fact that there is no artist information visible in Album view in the remote app on an ipad. (See the screen shots above.) i've updated itunes, deleted the old REmote app, restarted the ipad, reinstalled the app. Still no artist information.

Doesn't seem to have done anything to fix the problem discussed in this thread - the fact that there is no artist information visible in Album view in the remote app on an ipad. (See the screen shots above.) i've updated itunes, deleted the old REmote app, restarted the ipad, reinstalled the app. Still no artist information.

Hmmm. Not having the same problem with the Remote app, so here are some suggestions.

Since the artist info is visible in my album view, like this:

remote_app_screen.jpg

So perhaps you need to go into Settings, here like this:

remote_app_settings.jpg

And then choose Sort by Artist, like this:

remote_app_sort.jpg