IGNORED

Apple Remote - help!

Alan Sewell

Hmmm. Not having the same problem with the Remote app, so here are some suggestions.

Since the artist info is visible in my album view, like this:

So perhaps you need to go into Settings, here like this:

And then choose Sort by Artist, like this:

Thanks for replying. That's weird. Yes, that's exactly how Album view used to look like on my Remote app before the iTunes & Remote app updates. But since the updates the name of the artist under each album has disappeared. All the albums are sorted by artist, as they always have been, as you suggest. They appear in Album view in artist order.

What version of iTunes are you using? And what version of Remote?

Thanks for replying. That's weird. Yes, that's exactly how Album view used to look like on my Remote app before the iTunes & Remote app updates. But since the updates the name of the artist under each album has disappeared. All the albums are sorted by artist, as they always have been, as you suggest. They appear in Album view in artist order.

What version of iTunes are you using? And what version of Remote?

iTunes 11.3.1 (I don't want to "upgrade" to version 12).

And the latest version of the Remote app, 4.2.2 -- since I skipped 4.2.1 -- along with iOS 8.3.

Maybe a different version of iTunes than you're using is the difference?

I'll try Remote 4.2.2 tomorrow with my wife's computer, which is running iTunes 12, and let's see what that does.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

iTunes 11.3.1 (I don't want to "upgrade" to version 12).

And the latest version of the Remote app, 4.2.2 -- since I skipped 4.2.1 -- along with iOS 8.3.

Maybe a different version of iTunes than you're using is the difference?

I'll try Remote 4.2.2 tomorrow with my wife's computer, which is running iTunes 12, and let's see what that does.

thanks. That will be interesting. The conclusion in the earlier discussion was that it is an iTunes 12 issue. Sadly i did "upgrade" to 12 and there is no easy way of going back.

thanks. That will be interesting. The conclusion in the earlier discussion was that it is an iTunes 12 issue. Sadly i did "upgrade" to 12 and there is no easy way of going back.

Yes, unfortunately, that seems to be the case.

When I tried the latest version of the Remote app with my wife's computer, which is running iTunes 12, the artist names do NOT show, same situation as yours.

Even though it's a pain, isn't it possible to retrograde to iTunes 11-something?

I mean, you'll need to rebuild your iTunes library, but even so.

Meanwhile, the exact versions that also didn't show artist name with the Remote app on an iPad and the music on my wife's system are:

iTunes 12.1.2

Remote 4.2.2

iOS 8.3

OS X 10.9.5

Meanwhile, the exact versions that also didn't show artist name with the Remote app on an iPad and the music on my wife's system are:

iTunes 12.1.2

Remote 4.2.2

iOS 8.3

OS X 10.9.5

Same result here...

OSX 10.10.3 | iTunes 12.1.2

iOS 8.3 | Remote 4.2.2

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for checking. I'm hopeful that Apple will resolve it at some point - I may be naïve, but my assumption is that it would be a small tweak to the software, given that it is (a) just putting back something that used to be there, and (b) relies on data that is quite clearly available to the Remote app. The fact that they are updating the Remote app gives me hope.

Sadly I think downgrading iTunes is beyond me. I worry too much that something would go wrong that would result in a situation far worse than not being able to see the album artist info until Apple sort it out!

Thanks for checking. I'm hopeful that Apple will resolve it at some point - I may be naïve, but my assumption is that it would be a small tweak to the software, given that it is (a) just putting back something that used to be there, and (b) relies on data that is quite clearly available to the Remote app. The fact that they are updating the Remote app gives me hope.

Sadly I think downgrading iTunes is beyond me. I worry too much that something would go wrong that would result in a situation far worse than not being able to see the album artist info until Apple sort it out!

Hi Alan,

I don't want to push you, but the process of moving back home to iTunes 11 from iTunes 12 does not look all that difficult.

See here: How to Downgrade from iTunes 12 Back to iTunes 11

Or, see here: Unhappy with iTunes 12? Here's how to revert to iTunes 11

The main loss, even if the revert works, is having to rebuild playlists. Or, first export all your playlists, which is found in iTunes under File>Library>Export Playlists, in the .xml file type, saving them all in one folder. (For those reading, good to do that anyway, even if you're not changing versions of iTunes. Never can tell when you want to import them again.)

And you will have to rebuild your iTunes library, but if all your files have the album covers embedded, that's just a question of time, not difficulty.

Or, where do you live? I'll come by and help you! <smile>

Dave, who agrees that if the Apple programmers were aware of the problem the change needed does seem like relatively trivial coding

Hi Alan,

I don't want to push you, but the process of moving back home to iTunes 11 from iTunes 12 does not look all that difficult.

See here: How to Downgrade from iTunes 12 Back to iTunes 11

Or, see here: Unhappy with iTunes 12? Here's how to revert to iTunes 11

Thanks for encouraging me to do that. Followed these guides and it wasn't too hard to 'downgrade' to 11.4 at all. Now have the artist information back in Remote. Cheers.

Thanks for encouraging me to do that. Followed these guides and it wasn't too hard to 'downgrade' to 11.4 at all. Now have the artist information back in Remote. Cheers.

Hey, great, happy to have helped you.

As my signature notes, there are so many subtle details in the audio game.

• 1 year later...

The last posting in this thread is more than one year old, so I'd like to ask if anyone found a solution?

For me the problem is still existent: I have iTunes 12.4.3 with OSX 10.9.5 on my MacMini and remote app 4.2.3 on the iPad running iOS 9.3 – everything gets sorted correctly by album artist name in album view (so obviously remote app gets the album artist information correctly transferred from iTunes), but still the album artist's name does not get displayed below the album name.

Is downgrading to iTunes 11 still the only solution?

Why not upgrade OS X to El Capitan? It is very mature, more stable than 10.9 and Apple improved USB quality for audio - there used to be a problem with 'dropouts' in earlier versions. Next major release is due this Autumn but the sensible advice is to at least wait for the first update.