IGNORED

Aurender File Transfer newbie question

blaven

I just got an S10. I have been using Audirvana plus on a MacBook Pro with an external Western Digital hard drive that stores all of my music.

I am wondering how to most efficiently transfer my iTunes library to Aurender. Will my new S10 recognize the folder sub directory organizational structure as it exists in my present iTunes music folder.

So, for a given artist , Knopfler for example, do I need to transfer the individual albums themselves, or can I transfer the "Mark Knopfler" folder with all of the albums as subfolders within it, and the songs then within those subfolders.

It will be an exceptionally painful process if I have to get into each album and transfer each album folder individually rather than simply highlighting all of the artists in the iTunes library, and dragging them into the S10 hard drive.

In other words, which folder will I drag into the Aurender hard drive from iTunes?

You could literally drag the main main "iTunes" folder with subfolders such as "album artwork" and "iTunes music".

--do I transfer the whole "iTunes Music" folder.

--do I transfer all the individual artist folders

--do I somehow need to go to each of those artist folders and drag and drop all of the album folders

Will the S 10 unit recognize the iTunes file folder subdirectory system of organization?

Thanks for the help. I hope this makes sense. Sorry to be so wordy!

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

I don't have iTunes but this is what I did (X100L):

I have two main folders -> FLAC and DSD. Each of which are organized by ArtistName (Unique)/AlbumName (1..n) and each AlbumName have the titles within.

I moved the entire FLAC folder to disk one and the entire DSD folder to disk two. It took about four hours via a fast network.

I use the "Album" view (sorted by Artist) and all of my album art displays without any folder annotation. So the Aurender reads your files and subfolders and displays your art. YOU SHOUD READ THE SECTION ABOUT THE DSD 16/24 AND other filters very carefully. If any of those are engaged some album art will not be displayed.

I also deleted all but the "Local" and "Etc" folders from both drives (I had to update the database afterwards).

Pardon any grammatical errors.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

agreed, you can just drag the entire iTunes media folder across if you want.

The Aurender will scan it and correctly create the Albums, Artists database etc, which are used when using the standard "top row" filters of the same name (and genre etc).

But there is an "extra" feature of the Aurender App that DOES depend on the folder structure you copy across. It's an extra feature, which means you don't have to use it yet you still have all the standard filters I mentioned above.

This extra feature is a 2nd row of buttons (think of them as a second set of independent filters). This 2nd row of buttons on the App is created according to the top-level folders that the Aurender finds on its Hard drive after scanning.

So if you drag /iTunes/iTunes media/music/All your Artist Folders/All the Albums/... to the Aurender, it will scan all the way down to the music files and create the correct albums, artwork etc. BUT, it will create a single 2nd row button called <iTunes>, because that is now the root folder. If you click on this 2nd row button it's next to useless, because it just contains all your files....

I use this 2nd row as an additional filter of genre, so I have a ROCK, POP, JAZZ, etc top-level folder. This makes my process complicated, because I have yo make sure all my jazz is in the JAZZ folder etc, and iTunes doesn't do that for me.

Equally, you could have a root folder called <Pete>, <Emma>, <john> etc and put music from different family members in each; but again iTunes won't do this for you.

It means that the answer to your question is that Yes, you can easily drag copy drop the iTunes media folder and it works just fine. If you want to do anything clever with the custom root folder (2nd row of filter buttons) then some intervention is needed*

(* that's a lot of text to get through. I found myself a semi-automated solution by using a tagging programme that copies my iTunes files to a custom folder structure, using the embedded tags in the folder path ie "export to >> [genre]/[album artist]/[album]/[songfile] and then I keep this structure synchronized with the Aurender using Carbon Copy Cloner, an rsync client. it's more complicated, and may not suit everybody)

Grimm Mu-1 > Mola Mola Makua/DAC > Luxman m900u > Vivid Audio Kaya 90

agreed, you can just drag the entire iTunes media folder across if you want.

The Aurender will scan it and correctly create the Albums, Artists database etc, which are used when using the standard "top row" filters of the same name (and genre etc).

But there is an "extra" feature of the Aurender App that DOES depend on the folder structure you copy across. It's an extra feature, which means you don't have to use it yet you still have all the standard filters I mentioned above.

This extra feature is a 2nd row of buttons (think of them as a second set of independent filters). This 2nd row of buttons on the App is created according to the top-level folders that the Aurender finds on its Hard drive after scanning.

So if you drag /iTunes/iTunes media/music/All your Artist Folders/All the Albums/... to the Aurender, it will scan all the way down to the music files and create the correct albums, artwork etc. BUT, it will create a single 2nd row button called <iTunes>, because that is now the root folder. If you click on this 2nd row button it's next to useless, because it just contains all your files....

I use this 2nd row as an additional filter of genre, so I have a ROCK, POP, JAZZ, etc top-level folder. This makes my process complicated, because I have yo make sure all my jazz is in the JAZZ folder etc, and iTunes doesn't do that for me.

Equally, you could have a root folder called <Pete>, <Emma>, <john> etc and put music from different family members in each; but again iTunes won't do this for you.

It means that the answer to your question is that Yes, you can easily drag copy drop the iTunes media folder and it works just fine. If you want to do anything clever with the custom root folder (2nd row of filter buttons) then some intervention is needed*

(* that's a lot of text to get through. I found myself a semi-automated solution by using a tagging programme that copies my iTunes files to a custom folder structure, using the embedded tags in the folder path ie "export to >> [genre]/[album artist]/[album]/[songfile] and then I keep this structure synchronized with the Aurender using Carbon Copy Cloner, an rsync client. it's more complicated, and may not suit everybody)

Hello Krass,

Will the app show album art for wav files? does it do it own web search for album art and metadata or simply import form iTunes? planning to jump in with an N100 with internal 1TB SSD in the near future.

Thanks,

WDW

Hello Krass,

Will the app show album art for wav files? does it do it own web search for album art and metadata or simply import form iTunes? planning to jump in with an N100 with internal 1TB SSD in the near future.

Thanks,

WDW

art for wav ? I don't use any wav files so cannot check. I think the Aurender just uses embedded metadata, and I believe (not sure) that .wav files do not include album art, but I could be wrong there.

web search ? not as far as I know. You copy files to the Aurender. my understanding is that it then scans the files and builds a little database with what it finds in the embedded tags. it then sends a database copy to the APP with thumbnails. Again I'm not 100% sure of my answer to you, but I think the answer is no, and you have to have a way to do the tagging before the files get put on the Aurender.

import from iTunes is the way to go. As said above its very simple to drop the whole lot on the Aurender. Because iTunes does not always embed all iTunes metadata in the file, you may have to run a script (see Dougs scripts) to do some of the meta tag cleaning up.......

Aurender checks for front.jpg and back.jpg. If neither, are found it checks the metadata. WAV files are problematic in that the Aurender MAY NOT recognize any metadata. If WAV files are essential, ensure that each folder has the album art entitled as front.jpg. Some experimentation may be advised.

If WAV files aren't essential, convert them to FLAC format with a tool that will also fix the metadata.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Aurender checks for front.jpg and back.jpg. If neither, are found it checks the metadata. WAV files are problematic in that the Aurender MAY NOT recognize any metadata. If WAV files are essential, ensure that each folder has the album art entitled as front.jpg. Some experimentation may be advised.

If WAV files aren't essential, convert them to FLAC format with a tool that will also fix the metadata.

Hi,

My albums (in an iTunes library) all have theirs cover art embedded and a folder.jpg as well. Will the Aurender X100 software be able to to find and show the cover art?

TIA,

Jose

JoseL

Hi,

My albums (in an iTunes library) all have theirs cover art embedded and a folder.jpg as well. Will the Aurender X100 software be able to to find and show the cover art?

TIA,

Jose

Sorry, but I don't know how iTunes embeds cover art and metadata. There are many sources on the WWW that discuss FLAC and iTunes. You should also contact Aurender.

Hi,

TIA,

Jose

Jose, you don't say what format your iTunes files are in ?

Also, how do you "know" that the cover art is actually embedded in each individual file ? (I ask because it's not possible to easily check this on an entire music library using iTunes)

With your answers I can give you a better response......

I transferred my library over the past few days to an S10 (different than streaming off a NAS). I kind of went in sections of artists alphabetically within the iTunes folder. My album art is typically embedded using Doug's scripts. It worked perfectly with no problems. I have also added back cover art, which seems to be a cool and unique feature of the unit.

One problem I have run into, is that the Aurender does not separate out artist from album artist. It lists each artist separately for album such as Friday night in San Francisco, the Frozen soundtrack (for my kids!) ends up adding 10 artists. I got Quincy Jones as an artist due to an interview on special edition Michael Jackson a Thriller. So that might take getting used to.

FWIW

I have the S10 using AES for PCM and USB for DSD into a Meitner MA1 DAC.

I am not in any way exaggerating, the S10 caused a huge difference in the sound of my system. The base is notably tighter, and better, and the soundstage is absolutely huge.

I was very pleased with my prior MacBook Pro Audirvana set up, and was really surprised at the sound improvement with the Aurender.

Aurender N10--> DCS Bartok w Rossini Clock—>Audio Research REF6 Pre --> Vandersteen M5HPA—>Vandersteen Quatro CT Speakers; AMG Giro Turntable w Lyra Delos Cartridge —> Audio Research Ref 3 PhonoPre

Jose, you don't say what format your iTunes files are in ?

Also, how do you "know" that the cover art is actually embedded in each individual file ? (I ask because it's not possible to easily check this on an entire music library using iTunes)

With your answers I can give you a better response......

My iTunes library is in AIFF (16/44). I have used a Doug's script to embed the cover art and another to create a folder.jpg on each one of the albums. I am not totally sure but have heard that if one open an album (folder) and the cover art appears next to each one of track titles it is because is embedded. I am basically curious to know if the Aurander software only check for front.jpg and back.jpg., or it can also "see" folder.jpg and others like folder.png, cover.jpg, cover.png, etc.

Thanks,

JoseL

JoseL

My iTunes library is in AIFF (16/44). I have used a Doug's script to embed the cover art and another to create a folder.jpg on each one of the albums. I am not totally sure but have heard that if one open an album (folder) and the cover art appears next to each one of track titles it is because is embedded. I am basically curious to know if the Aurander software only check for front.jpg and back.jpg., or it can also "see" folder.jpg and others like folder.png, cover.jpg, cover.png, etc.

Thanks,

JoseL

The manual say front and back jpg's then the system looks for embedded art. AURENDER - Reference Music System

how do you "know" that the cover art is actually embedded in each individual file ? (I ask because it's not possible to easily check this on an entire music library using iTunes)

Krass,

Actually it is not at all difficult :)

First I made up a Smart Playlist to find tracks with missing album art ('Album Art', IS 'false')

Of course this playlist doesn't know the difference between linked and embedded images, so

Move the folder 'user/Music/Itunes/Album Artwork/Download' somewhere else, like the Desktop.

restart iTunes, check your 'Missing Art' playlist, and you should see all the tracks without embedded art !

You can now embed all the missing artwork, and trash that ///Downloads folder.

To know if the art is embedded in a file, on Apple products, you literally just highlight the track in the associated file folder, and if there is an embedded image, you will see a thumbnail preview of the image. In other views of file folder contents, you will see a small album art icon within the Finder folder view.

Not sure if this works on PC.

I have about 80% of my art embedded in the file. for the files I have found on my S10 without album art, I just transfer the front and back cover of the album art to the Aurender file folder. For me, it is a pain to go and re-embed all the files, and then re-transfer the entire album over. Furthermore, if you want back cover album art, you need to do it that way anyway, and I like the back cover as an easy way to see other musicians for my Jazz.

The most efficient way would be to run Doug's scripts on the entire iTunes library to embed album art in every song file, but not sure that is possible --might fry WOPR.

Krass,

Actually it is not at all difficult :)

First I made up a Smart Playlist to find tracks with missing album art ('Album Art', IS 'false')

Of course this playlist doesn't know the difference between linked and embedded images, so

Move the folder 'user/Music/Itunes/Album Artwork/Download' somewhere else, like the Desktop.

restart iTunes, check your 'Missing Art' playlist, and you should see all the tracks without embedded art !

You can now embed all the missing artwork, and trash that ///Downloads folder.

thanks for the last posts, I'm happy with this & was just trying to understand how the OP was doing it.

I used to have issues with iTunes "inconsistencies" with AIFF and embedded art and file corruptions (I'm not alone, it's happened for a few people). I also use Dougs excellent scripts, but I now do my tag checking with a dedicated app (there are a few of them, I use Metadatics which has a neat export rename function).

• 2 months later...

I've ordered an X100s and am expecting it's arrival this week. In the interim I have been exploring CA to determine the best way for me to structure my music folders...

I intend to set up my X100 as a NAS once I have migrated my existing iTunes music library from an external hard drive connected to my Mac mini over to the Aurender. At that point I intend to get rid of my existing iTunes library in favor of pointing iTunes to the files on the Aurender as the music storage location henceforth.

This would enable me to have one central music library, and with iTunes pointed at the X100s, I would be able to maintain the ability to sync all my music to all iDevices in our household. If I understand correct, the only issue I'd have (with playback on the Aurender) is with album art but I understand this is easily resolved with Doug's scripts...

My question is this: By pointing iTunes at the X100s once it is set up as a NAS, will iTunes also be attempting to save all sorts of other non-music iTunes related files to the Aurender? IE: mobile apps, etc. Ideally I want to save ONLY music files to the Aurender. The Aurender would be my main listening source & music library. Any new music downloaded from HD Tracks, ripped from CD, or downloaded from iTunes would reside on the Aurender... AND I would maintain the ability for iTunes to sync the music files that are on the Aurender to my iDevices, and the non-music iTunes files will reside on my mac...

Can this be achieved with relative ease...?