IGNORED

The difference between dreams and reality poll

What am I willing to spend today, and what would I spend if I won the lottery tomorrow, on the audio  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm curious as to how many of us are already at our "dream system" stage and, if not, how far away we might be from that. So the survey is anonymous, but I'm really interested in the "why" of why we might spend considerably more if money was no object.

So the first set of choices represents what we have now or are willing to spend today for our desired level of audio quality.

The second set asks how much more we might spend if money was no object.

The final choice says: I'm not spending more, but I'm always on the quest for better sound at my price point.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Not sure this is fair because the key purchase would be a larger house with at least a larger listening room (thus new / more equipment) if not several listening rooms. So it wouldn't be an upgrade or a replacement as much as a wholesale change - it would be a lot of fun though :)

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Gosh - who would not want to put together a dream system without cost limits? I know one thing I would do is pay a little more for looks or custom cabinetry, because I would like my entire system to be as close to invisible as possible. And integrated fully with video capabilities. Also, would need t do a bit of remodeling, as top of the line Maggies would be the speakers that go in. :)

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I'm curious as to how many of us are already at our "dream system" stage and, if not, how far away we might be from that.

I suspect we all have "relative" dream systems, based on what we can ultimately afford, or at least think we can. About 18 months ago, I first got news that my department's days at the corporation were, in some eventual context, numbered. Given that I was then approaching five years away from retirement, and knew this would almost certainly put me into forced, early retirement when it came to pass, I started making audio lists of components that I would truly wish to own, which, if available used, at a good price, might be possible. There was a list of speakers, a list of amplifiers, a list of power amps, a list of cd sources, and a list of DAC's. My intention was to build a more or less "final" audio system, with which I would be happy for many years, at least to the degree that such a thing is possible. And so, while the paychecks were still coming in, over that time, I have managed to put together what is, for me, with the established limitations, a sort of dream system. Indeed, it's better than whT I could have achieved if not for the kindness of some new friends in the audio manufacturing world, a stunning, and completely unexpected gift by a longtime friend. and Now, if there were significantly greater funding available, that list would have been different. Thus I selected the option of spending $50-100,000.00

more if I won the lottery. Sure, I could have selected the "more than $100k more option" but, at that point, I think things may start getting to such miniscule levels of improvement that I just don't think I would bother. It's nice to dream though.

JC

Not sure this is fair because the key purchase would be a larger house with at least a larger listening room (thus new / more equipment) if not several listening rooms. So it wouldn't be an upgrade or a replacement as much as a wholesale change - it would be a lot of fun though :)

Wow, I hadn't thought of that, Jabs. Another entire series of options does come with that scenario. Although, I think adding "several listening rooms" into the equation overextends the entire discussion a bit too far.

This all just gave me another idea for a potentially interesting thread though, with apologies to Sdolezsalek, for appropriating a portion of his idea for an extended conversation.

JC

Wow, I hadn't thought of that, Jabs. Another entire series of options does come with that scenario. Although, I think adding "several listening rooms" into the equation overextends the entire discussion a bit too far.

This all just gave me another idea for a potentially interesting thread though, with apologies to Sdolezsalek, for appropriating a portion of his idea for an extended conversation.

JC

I don't mind wandering a bit. I was just trying to get a sense of (a) how close most of us are to our dream systems already and (b) just how far we might go if money was no object. That being said, I fully agree that one of the tradeoffs even if money is no object is how much to spend on the room versus the system. Creating even a single, fully dedicated audio ideal room eats up a big part of any budget AND may provide a greater audio benefit than spending another $100k on the system that goes in that room.

Synology NAS>i7-6700/32GB/NVIDIA QUADRO P4000 Win10>Qobuz+Tidal>Roon>HQPlayer>DSD512> Fiber Switch>Ultrarendu (NAA)>Holo Audio May KTE DAC> Bryston SP3 pre>Levinson No. 432 amps>Magnepan (MG20.1x2, CCR and MMC2x6)

Gosh - who would not want to put together a dream system without cost limits? I know one thing I would do is pay a little more for looks or custom cabinetry, because I would like my entire system to be as close to invisible as possible. And integrated fully with video capabilities. Also, would need t do a bit of remodeling, as top of the line Maggies would be the speakers that go in. :)

-Paul

Paul: I'm obviously with you on the Maggies point (just trying to figure out whether I can justify upgrading the 20.1s to 20.7s), but even if I had unlimited funds, I'm not sure I'd upgrade the speakers beyond the 20.7s.

JC

Le me splain - MBL Radialstrahlers in one room Magico Ultimates in another room. Hey, it was a lottery after all.

I've heard the MBLs several times, unbelievable sound stage every time. I admit I've never heard the Ultimates but based on Alan Wolfson's reputation and the concept of that design it has to awesome in the sweet spot.

Analog: Koetsu Rosewood > VPI Aries 3 w/SDS > EAR 834P > EAR 834L: Audiodesk cleaner

Digital Fun: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (JRMC) SOtM USB > Lynx Hilo > EAR 834L

Digital Serious: DAS > CAPS v3 w/LPS (HQPlayer) Ethernet > SMS-100 NAA > Lampi DSD L4 G5 > EAR 834L

Digital Disc: Oppo BDP 95 > EAR 834L

Output: EAR 834L > Xilica XP4080 DSP > Odessey Stratos Mono Extreme > Legacy Aeris

Phones: EAR 834L > Little Dot Mk ii > Senheiser HD 800

Paul: I'm obviously with you on the Maggies point (just trying to figure out whether I can justify upgrading the 20.1s to 20.7s), but even if I had unlimited funds, I'm not sure I'd upgrade the speakers beyond the 20.7s.

I would probably get the socks custom printed with a design my wife fancies, but I agree. I think the 20.7s are currently the most desirable speakers out there, easily competing with all the Wilsons and other "high end" brands. Winning the competition in my book. From my wife's POV, they can be made to look like artistic screens in the room. :)

I would dearly love to hide all the electronics though. I utterly despise blue, red, green, yellow and any other color light glaring at me when I am listening to music.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein