IGNORED

Marantz sneaking out NA6005 under cover of darkness

With most classical music each track includes a complete movement and there is almost always supposed to be a few seconds of silence between movements.

Many opera recording have many tracks per act and often many tracks within an scene, often to allow direct access to arias or other points of interest. I believe the multiplicity of track points occurring in the middle of music filled moments is the reason for noticing these symptoms.

The whole point of gapless support is to ensure there's no need to provide a silent point for a track break.

What are the music file formats of the opera tracks you are having problems with? Are they a lossless or a lossy format? Most streamers' gapless support don't include lossy formats such as MP3 and AAC.

Cebolla, you may have something there, the files were .mp3, at 256 Kbps. So perhaps if I re-rip them in ALAC, 44.1, 16 bit, lossless, then maybe they would work better. I did not know that gapless does not work on .mp3 format.

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.

With most classical music each track includes a complete movement and there is almost always supposed to be a few seconds of silence between movements.

Many opera recording have many tracks per act and often many tracks within an scene, often to allow direct access to arias or other points of interest. I believe the multiplicity of track points occurring in the middle of music filled moments is the reason for noticing these symptoms.

Scotsol,

I'm not sure if you spotted this in my last post so I'll repeat it just to clarify this issue:

The whole point of gapless support is to ensure there's no need to provide a silent point for a track break.

Or if you prefer:

The whole point of gapless support is to cope with the multiplicity of track points occurring in the middle of music filled moments!

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Scotsol,

I'm not sure if you spotted this in my last post so I'll repeat it just to clarify this issue:

Or if you prefer:

The whole point of gapless support is to cope with the multiplicity of track points occurring in the middle of music filled moments!

John

When I get time on Monday, I will re-rip in ALAC, lossless and we will see if the issue goes away, this will prove that the issue was the .mp3 format. I do hope so! I only listen to opera on rare occasions, but when I do i want it to be right.

Actually I could do with re-ripping my entire classical collection, as I did this in the very early days of my computer audio experience and did not know that .mp3, 256 kbps was not the best format, the whole lot has got to go...

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Cebolla, you may have something there, the files were .mp3, at 256 Kbps. So perhaps if I re-rip them in ALAC, 44.1, 16 bit, lossless, then maybe they would work better. I did not know that gapless does not work on .mp3 format.
Yes, it gets a bit more complicated trying to implement gapless support for some lossy formats for a variety of reasons and it looks like most streamer manufacturers have taken the easy option and decided not to support any of them. So in that respect, iTunes and most other music player software have an advantage over those streamers.

Actually I could do with re-ripping my entire classical collection, as I did this in the very early days of my computer audio experience and did not know that .mp3, 256 kbps was not the best format, the whole lot has got to go...
You could also try getting whatever UPnP media server you are using to transcode the MP3 files to a lossless format, if it is able, to save you having to re-rip for the moment. At worst the transcoder method would produce a very tiny gap, which you may be able to live with.

Lucky you found another excuse to get rid of the Pioneer N-50A, if this was actually the reason for the original buffering issue with it, eh? :)

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hello,

no, the issue with the N50-a was repeated and significant buffering interrupting the sound. Happily enough the Marantz, which is now in the exact same environment does not suffer this way. Plus is does gapless in DMR mode, plus it has a headphone amp, plus it has wireless (if ever I need it, doubtful though). The Pioneer had the edge in design and attractiveness (oh that colour screen for artwork) but not in functionality. And I got £100 back from my dealer.

Just being cheeky, nothing else intended. Those plus points, especially the gapless in DMR, are massive. Full gapless support should be a prerequisite, there's really no excuse. Pioneer are shameless!

-- Jo Cox

So, having re-ripped the Madam Butterfly disc to ALAC, instead of .mp3 this is now working as gapless playback. So the issue here was indeed the use of .mp3.

It is interesting that watching the buffer indicator you can see the track buffering just before the end of the track ready for the next track.

Thanks Cebolla, that fixed it. Now to start the re-rip process for my entire classical library.

So, having re-ripped the Madam Butterfly disc to ALAC, instead of .mp3 this is now working as gapless playback. So the issue here was indeed the use of .mp3.

It is interesting that watching the buffer indicator you can see the track buffering just before the end of the track ready for the next track.

Thanks Cebolla, that fixed it. Now to start the re-rip process for my entire classical library.

Sounds like it's about time you really start enjoying your new NA6005 with your re-ripped library!

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

So, one week in and I have to say, this Marantz NA6005 is seriously good.

So far, none of the buffering issues I has with the Pioneer.

The only change I would wish for is a USB port on the rear.

I don't miss the colour art display of the Pioneer at all.

Highly recommended, I may even buy a second for the other room.

Thanks to all who guided me towards purchasing this.

So, one week in and I have to say, this Marantz NA6005 is seriously good.

So far, none of the buffering issues I has with the Pioneer.

The only change I would wish for is a USB port on the rear.

I don't miss the colour art display of the Pioneer at all.

Highly recommended, I may even buy a second for the other room.

Thanks to all who guided me towards purchasing this.

With people who have these units sitting in a tight hifi rack, it would be difficult to get to the rear panel all the time to swap out the USB drive. Not too much of an issue with me either way though.

Post a picture of yours when you get a chance. I love seeing these NA6005's in silver! ;-)

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

Here you go...my next one will be in black...

image.jpg

Here you go...my next one will be in black...

So pretty! I think both the silver and black are great looking. Very simplistic and elegant. Thanks for posting!

So, I did buy another NA6005, huge mistake. There is nothing wrong with the machine, but having two devices on the same network caused huge problems, I had addressing conflicts, the app did not 'understand' that there were two of the devices and got really confused and stopped working.

At one point I tried to play an album, and the sound came out of the wrong unit, even though I had selected the one I wanted. Then my whole network crashed and refused all connections to the WAN side. My router would not allow me to access the configs, and so I have spent all afternoon re-starting and rebooting, rebuilding white access lists... Uuurggh disaster... The unit is back in it's box going back to Amazon.

What a farce.

I am sure the issue does not reside on the unit, but it is just too much stress just to get HD music in another room.

So, I did buy another NA6005, huge mistake. There is nothing wrong with the machine, but having two devices on the same network caused huge problems, I had addressing conflicts, the app did not 'understand' that there were two of the devices and got really confused and stopped working.

At one point I tried to play an album, and the sound came out of the wrong unit, even though I had selected the one I wanted. Then my whole network crashed and refused all connections to the WAN side. My router would not allow me to access the configs, and so I have spent all afternoon re-starting and rebooting, rebuilding white access lists... Uuurggh disaster... The unit is back in it's box going back to Amazon.

What a farce.

I am sure the issue does not reside on the unit, but it is just too much stress just to get HD music in another room.

Odd. I have had three or four Marantz receivers all same network and all same models all available on Marantz app at once. You have to choose one at a time of course but as far as having conflicts they played well together and did not in the least give the network fits. I believe there is a setting in the NA6005 that allows you to name the player which then differentiates one from another. Have not set up that particular model yet but I'd be surprised if you could not have multiple players on your network.

See below for "friendly" name setting which is in menu, settings, network.

image.jpg

Also, here is app and available Marantz (and Denon) products on network ready to be used. Simple naming makes selection easy.

image.jpg

David

Odd. I have had three or four Marantz receivers all same network and all same models all available on Marantz app at once. You have to choose one at a time of course but as far as having conflicts they played well together and did not in the least give the network fits. I believe there is a setting in the NA6005 that allows you to name the player which then differentiates one from another. Have not set up that particular model yet but I'd be surprised if you could not have multiple players on your network.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19766[/ATTACH]

Also, here is app and available Marantz (and Denon) products on network ready to be used. Simple naming makes selection easy.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19767[/ATTACH]

Great answer.

Also, if you really wanted to, you could setup your network as "static" and manually set each computer, laptop, NA6005, etc, etc with their own static IP address.

Great answer.

Also, if you really wanted to, you could setup your network as "static" and manually set each computer, laptop, NA6005, etc, etc with their own static IP address.

OK, so I found that I had a conflict in the router between the 'reserved' (static) address and the DHCP address? Somehow I did things in the wrong order on the router and ended up creating this conflict, which caused the router to 'lock up'.

So I started again this morning and it all seems fine now, both are operating on 'reserved' addresses. so far so good, the return has been cancelled, gonna keep it now...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19766[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19767[/ATTACH]

Thanks! great informative answer. Having read this, I tried again.

This time I did the reserved address allocation correctly and bingo all is working as you described.The router really was conflicted by my own error which was totally my fault.

So I will be keeping the unit, thanks again!

Thanks! great informative answer. Having read this, I tried again.

This time I did the reserved address allocation correctly and bingo all is working as you described.The router really was conflicted by my own error which was totally my fault.

So I will be keeping the unit, thanks again!

Your welcome!

David

Great news!

• 1 month later...

After doing some upgrades to my system, I can now stream DSD64 files to the NA6005 wirelessly. And I must say, it works flawlessly. They load every bit as fast as my FLAC files. No stuttering, no buffering. I tried one of the DSD128 files, but it didn't like that too much. For those, I'd have to run a CAT5 back into the room, which I'm not going to do.

The upgrades included a Synology DS215J NAS with twin WD Red 3TB drives in RAID 0, two 2TB USB backup drives, a Netgear Pro Gigabit switch, a Netgear Nighthawk router, and the LUMIN controller app on my iPad Mini 2. The NAS is running MinimServer and BubbleUPnP Server so I can use the LUMIN app to control the Marantz and Oppo.

No more laptop, no more JRiver except for maybe ripping and tagging.

p1453105525-5.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Greetings All - I found this forum when searching for reviews of the NA6005 before I purchased it. I am setting up an upstairs music room and the NA6005 was a perfect fit as I wanted to set up a NAS, get my toes wet in high-res audio and also be able to stream from Pandora and Spotify.

I pulled my hair out for 2 days trying to get this unit to connect to the NAS and internet (at the same time) through my router or Airport Extreme. I finally remembered the factory reset - all is good! Except for one item....

I can navigate to my NAS music folder and play music, but it only loads the first 15 folders out of 150 or so. Nothing I have tried has let me access past the 'A' folders. I am using the Marantz HiFi Remote iPad app.

Folder structure is NAS/Music/Artist/Album/Songs

Equipment chain is NAS/router/NA6005/SR8200

Any help/ideas would be appreciated. I am assuming the 'correct' answer is BubbleUPnP / Minim Server and Lumin (or other) controller app, but I would like to figure this out also.

Thanks

wto

Hello,

I have not encountered the symptoms you describe with a similar set up.

I use a synology NAS and various control devices (JRemote, Marantz, iTunes and Bubble uPnP). All of these work fine, so I attempted to replicate your problem.

I managed to scroll through hundreds of albums from A-Z.

Of course your issue up is not to do with the Marantz, it is the data between the server and the remote application running on the iPad.

When managing selections you are not yet interacting with the Marantz, it is only when you make a selection and press play and the data starts streaming to Marantz does it start to play it's part.

if you can not scroll to the full extent of your library refresh the app, make sure you have the latest version and try again.

Also try rebooting your router as well, it may help.

If you still have issues then personally I would jump ship on the Marantz app and purchase Bubble UPnp as it as a much superior system, I hardly ever choose the Marantz app, it is way to under featured for me.