IGNORED

Marantz sneaking out NA6005 under cover of darkness

Today I will be replacing buying a Marantz NA6005, and getting my money back on the Pioneer. I am sad because I really like the Pioneer, but, with the lack of gapless playback and the poor quality of the Pioneer Control App I feel I will be better off with the Marantz as I understand It can do gapless playback in DMR mode.

This will then enable me to use JRiver with the NA6005 as a renderer, thus giving me a the JRemote as my control point.

This will be the best combination of ease of use and gapless playback.

It is such a shame because the Pioneer is a quality device, but they have let the side down by omitting this feature.

I just hope the Marantz sounds as good....

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.

This will then enable me to use JRiver with the NA6005 as a renderer, thus giving me a the JRemote as my control point.

Giles ... can I be a pedant and say that JRemote isn't acting as a the control point for the NA6005 (its a controller for JRMC which is the control point).

I think we both know what you mean but "control point" has a specific meaning in UPnP / DLNA systems so its best if we are clear (IMO).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks Eloise, certainly approve of anyone being pedantic in the interests of clarifying a technical issue. Good to see someone else point out that common error, a particular bugbear of mine. Giles shouldn't be ashamed though, as I've seen (and hopefully gently corrected) JRemote being called a control point in the context of UPnP file streaming, even by the so called experts of this site who should know better.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

So, having exchanged my Pioneer N50-a for a Marantz NA6005, I am pleased to say that I now have gapless playback via 3 alternatives;

1) reading direct from the server, controlled by the Marantz hi-fi app (works so much better than the Pioneer on, and the design is superior).

2) via iTunes "Airplay" (with the required re sampling to a format acceptable to "Airplay").

3) via JRiver and Jremote combination in full 24-96 flac or ALAC format.

2 out of 3 the Pioneer could not do, and the Marantz was £100.00 cheaper, so I have a refund of £100 on my credit card!

yes, I have lost the colour screen and artwork display, but that is a minor consideration.

wow, should have bought this one in the first place.

Any one considering the Pioneer, don't get me wrong, that is a fantastic unit, it's just that gapless playback was very important to me.

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Giles ... can I be a pedant and say that JRemote isn't acting as a the control point for the NA6005 (its a controller for JRMC which is the control point).

I think we both know what you mean but "control point" has a specific meaning in UPnP / DLNA systems so its best if we are clear (IMO).

Of course, I don't mind at all! Being corrected is one way to learn!

Actually, you are among the group of people I need to thank for steering me in the right direction. I feel I have arrived at last at a solution I can be happy with.... The Marantz NA6500. Thanks all!

Thanks Eloise, certainly approve of anyone being pedantic in the interests of clarifying a technical issue. Good to see someone else point out that common error, a particular bugbear of mine. Giles shouldn't be ashamed though, as I've seen (and hopefully gently corrected) JRemote being called a control point in the context of UPnP file streaming, even by the so called experts of this site who should know better.

Cebolla, Eloise, Chopsrr,

i just oust wanted to thank you all for your input to my threads recently. You have guided me in regards both hardware and software, so much so that I have changed my hardware from the Pioneer to the Marantz, and from iTunes to JRiver.

Thanks guys for helping me change my little music world....

Anyone own the Marantz NA6005 yet. If so any chance of a small review. I'm in the market for a streamer and can't find any reviews on the NA6005. I also looked at the Pioneer N-50A, got a good review on what hi-fi. Any other recommendations for streamers would be very welcome. Looking to spend £500 - £800.

many thanks Bruny

Bruny, after having two Pioneer N-50a, both of which suffered buffering interruptions to internet radio and .mp3 playback, yesterday my dealer arranged an exchange to the Marantz NA6005. I am so much happier with this device, not only does it sound great, but does gapless playback in DMR mode, the remote app actually works, and it was £100 cheaper! The cost was £399. And no buffering issues (so far anyway).

Of the two, IMO, go for the Marantz.

Giles

Cebolla, Eloise, Chopsrr,

i just oust wanted to thank you all for your input to my threads recently. You have guided me in regards both hardware and software, so much so that I have changed my hardware from the Pioneer to the Marantz, and from iTunes to JRiver.

Thanks guys for helping me change my little music world....

Again sir, you are quite welcome! ;-)

Bruny, after having two Pioneer N-50a, both of which suffered buffering interruptions to internet radio and .mp3 playback, yesterday my dealer arranged an exchange to the Marantz NA6005. I am so much happier with this device, not only does it sound great, but does gapless playback in DMR mode, the remote app actually works, and it was £100 cheaper! The cost was £399. And no buffering issues (so far anyway).

Of the two, IMO, go for the Marantz.

Giles

Speaking of the NA6005 sounding great, I did a little A-B comparison test today with the NA6005 and my beloved Schiit Bifrost DAC which as been fully upgraded to the latest and greatest boards (about a year ago). Here's a link to the full report... http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/shoot-out-between-marantz-na6005-and-schiit-bifrost-digital-analogue-converter-surprising-outcome-25006/#post441173

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

Wow... So I am not imagining it, the Marantz is good then. Nice to get another view. If I am reading it right, then the Marantz is a good as your other Bifrost DAC. Is the Bifrost a high end DAC? I am not familiar with it. I guess this means the Marantz is very good value indeed. This might start a huge discussion on this form.

I guess this means the Marantz is very good value indeed.

The Marantz IS good value yes. As a streaming system it had the advantage over the "boutique" brands of economies of scale. (Assuming Marantz are sensible) they have designed a streaming module which is used not only in their HiFi devices but also in all their AVRs meaning instead of selling 100s a year (if they are lucky) they are selling 1000s.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

If this device keeps performing the way it is, I can see myself buying another very soon for my other room (Used for TV and 5.1 at the moment).

it would be nice to add a quality stereo device in there. At the moment my streaming devices (TV, Blu-ray, Med8er) do not support gapless playback, and do not support ALAC as well. Another Marantz would bring much to the room given that Apple have broken my Apple TV with their darned software updates. For some reason it no longer connects to the library, so stuff them, put in the Marantz and discard the Apple TV.

My stereo room was once all handled by Apple hardware, but drop outs, connection problems, library problems have all lead me to drop Apple like a hot rock for music services.

iTunes and Apple TV have had their day....for me at least.

At $579 on Amazon, the Schiit Audio Bifrost is an affordable DAC - not high end. :)

So then, the Marantz is doing a good job within the price bracket. That is good to know, I am certainly enjoying mine!

Don't forget there's a music file player included in DAC streamers like the Marantz, so for a realistic price comparison with a standalone non-streaming DAC you should really throw in a computer plus music player software too!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

At $579 on Amazon, the Schiit Audio Bifrost is an affordable DAC - not high end. :)

It outperforms DAC's costing over $1000, so wouldn't exactly call it a budget DAC either.

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

Don't forget there's a music file player included in DAC streamers like the Marantz, so for a realistic price comparison with a standalone non-streaming DAC you should really throw in a computer plus music player software too!

+1

Eloise

---

Having spent the day with the Marantz, listening to all sorts of music, I can say I really like it. I would recommend it for sure.

Having spent the day with the Marantz, listening to all sorts of music, I can say I really like it. I would recommend it for sure.

Glad to hear the NA6005 is working out for you!

Well, until last night it was. Then I made the mistake of listening to some Opera. I get buffering between each track. You can see the % drop 100%-80%-70%-50% and so on to zero! then a pause then the next track starts! but the music is supposed to be seamless between tracks.

i have read that classical and Opera can be big problems as far as gapless in concerned and that this is most likely not a problem with the device.

So I re-ripped my Opera as a single track for the whole disc, I don't like this solution but at least it works.

This seems to happen with JRiver and direct play from the files on the NAS (controlled by the Marantz app) but not when in iTunes Airplay mode.

uuurggh problems eh?

Giles; what are you using for UPnP/DNLA server?

Eloise

---

hello Audio_ELF ... I use;

a MacMini running 10.10.2

JRiver (Trial version, 28 days left) MC20.0.116

JRemote

iTunes version 12.1.2.27

iTunes library is on the MacMini on an external drive which is an SSD dedicated for iTunes only.

iTunes library also exists on Synology EDS14 in the "Music" section.

Music can be played through iTunes, JRiver, or direct from Synology NAS, or via DS Audio.

Not sure which element of the above, if any, is the UPnP/DLNA server.

Giles

Well, until last night it was. Then I made the mistake of listening to some Opera. I get buffering between each track. You can see the % drop 100%-80%-70%-50% and so on to zero! then a pause then the next track starts! but the music is supposed to be seamless between tracks.

i have read that classical and Opera can be big problems as far as gapless in concerned and that this is most likely not a problem with the device.

So I re-ripped my Opera as a single track for the whole disc, I don't like this solution but at least it works.

This seems to happen with JRiver and direct play from the files on the NAS (controlled by the Marantz app) but not when in iTunes Airplay mode.

uuurggh problems eh?

This makes no sense to me. What difference does it make what type of music you stream? It's all still just zeros and ones.

I've played plenty of Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Brahms, etc, etc without one single issue. None at all. And this is either streaming from JRiver or straight through the NA6005. Either way, no issues what so ever.

There has to be some kind of problem or bottleneck in your network somewhere that's causing this.

And yes, whether playing directly through the NA6005 or streaming to it through JRiver, it most certainly plays back seamlessly, and with no buffering issues of any kind.

Chopsrr

I think Opera is particularly tricky for gapless playback, I honestly do not know why, but a quick internet trawl shows this is a common issue, although most of the posts are quite old.

Opera producers cut tracks where there is still music going on. Often there is no easy, silent point to place the track break, but this could also be said of pop concerts I have that do play gapless with no issue.

I don't understand it, but it is only my Opera files that are effected. Very Odd..

Chopsrr

I think Opera is particularly tricky for gapless playback, I honestly do not know why, but a quick internet trawl shows this is a common issue, although most of the posts are quite old.

Opera producers cut tracks where there is still music going on. Often there is no easy, silent point to place the track break, but this could also be said of pop concerts I have that do play gapless with no issue.

I don't understand it, but it is only my Opera files that are effected. Very Odd..

That is odd. I never heard of that before, and like I said, it doesn't do that on my system at all. Hmm...

I guess if that's the only thing you have issues with, you're still much better off than you were with the Pioneer.

The whole point of gapless support is to ensure there's no need to provide a silent point for a track break.

What are the music file formats of the opera tracks you are having problems with? Are they a lossless or a lossy format? Most streamers' gapless support don't include lossy formats such as MP3 and AAC.

-- Jo Cox