IGNORED

Article: California Audio Show, Alpha DAC RS, and Devialet

Yes, did anyone hear the new Berkeley?

Yes I took Chris's advice and looked for the rooms where it was playing. As it turned out there were only two sites where it was in use that I could find. I spent most of my time in one of these two rooms, where the Berkeley reference DAC was being played on the Teresonic single-driver speakers. I cannot tell you whether what I heard was mostly the DAC as there were other great components in that system. But I can tell you that it was absolutely amazing. For me it was the one of the most unforgettable experiences of the show. How it is that music of that high quality can be so compelling and emotionally gripping I don't know. But it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Chris can you explain this statement

Connecting the two units turns the components into a Devialet 400 monoblock system with half the distortion, but double the power (not double the price).
You have to double the price since a person has to purchase two Devialet's to get the mono amp structure as one of the Devialets has to be the master and the other at an additional cost is the "companion" device and I guess that's then makes the dual 200's a Devialet 400.

The Truth Is Out There

Chris can you explain this statement You have to double the price since a person has to purchase two Devialet's to get the mono amp structure as one of the Devialets has to be the master and the other at an additional cost is the "companion" device and I guess that's then makes the dual 200's a Devialet 400.

The slave unit doesn't cost as much as the master.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

A companion device (without the WiFi card)

A Crystal Cable Standard Diamond digital link cable

An SD-Card for the slave configuration

A companion setup manual

Is it only $1,000 less

Also have you heard this unit with any planar speakers

The Truth Is Out There

• 1 month later...

The real comparison being addressed here is the comparison of Devialet to high-end traditional systems in general. I was recently blown away by all the glowing chatter about the innovative French product. So, in need of a new amp. I arranged to hear the Dev. in 400, dual mono configuration and a conventional digital system with a Dan D'Agostino stereo amp.

First, the Devialet is a groundbreaking new innovation and I'm sure a lot of hifi product manufacturers are running scared right now. Before providing my own experience, dare I say that if anyone asked me what to buy (unless they were severely afflicted by the audiophile bug) I would point them straight to the Dev. and suggest looking no further. And what a value! People spend more on speaker cables.

That respectfully said, I bought a D'Agostino. After making every effort to make this a fair comparison (I'll spare the details) I found the Devialet to excel in transparency (like none other) and in bass control/ impact, with or without SAM. Individual voices/ instruments stood apart and soundstage depth was drop jaw good. But for all the detail, clarity and 3-d imaging, it lacked texture and richness. It presented the parts spectacularly but the sum of the parts didn't add up quite right. I saw Ray LaMontagne in concert last night. Wow! Amplified in a large, albeit high quality hall, it lacked the crisp detail and transparency of the Dev. It was real! And that's what I want in my home.

Final thoughts, first DARN, I was hoping to buy a Dev., sell my gear and have enough money in my pocket to offset today's market losses (argh). It wasn't to be, but without singing the praises of the D D'A, the Dev is not IMHO the penultimate audio device. It is an amazing new player and perhaps the best value today in high end? Is this a peek at the future? Wow! Maybe show stopping SQ in a future smartphone? At least we can all still squander our money on speakers!

David C. Martin[br]Mojo Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Berkeley USB, Berkeley Reference dac, Dan D'Agostino Integrated, Rockport Avior.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris,

How's the review going?

"Toward the end of September I will visit Devialet in Paris and Normandy, France. I'm looking forward to learning more about the product and to see Devialet's state of the art manufacturing facility. Shortly after I return from my visit to France I will publish the complete Devialet 200 / 400 review. I'm excited and I hope the CA community is excited as well."

LOUNGE: Mac Mini - Audirvana - Devialet 200 - ATOHM GT1 Speakers

OFFICE : Mac Mini - Audirvana - Benchmark DAC1HDR - ADAM A7 Active Monitors

TRAVEL : MacBook Air - Dragonfly V1.2 DAC - Sennheiser HD 650

BEACH : iPhone 6 - HRT iStreamer DAC - Akimate Micro + powered speakers