IGNORED

Wilco Yankee Hotel Foxtrot 96k HDT

I just sat down and listened to the whole hi res album all the way through. For those unfamiliar with this album, it deserves a brief intro. The album was made during a very tumultuous time in Wilco's relationship with their record company (Warner group, nonesuch). There's a Sam Jones movie made about this disturbing album. It's difficult to watch at times and very compelling because it gets you routing for Wilco.

This remaster is unbelievably great. I have no objective data. I am not interested in that right now. YHF is one of those albums that only gets better the more you listen. It's very densely packet with musical conflict, deconstruction and revival. Jeff Tweedy's poetry is chilling as it seems to come from alternate worlds. Just listen to Jesus, etc. The lyrics are clearly about 911, one would think. Most people have a little freakout when they discover the song was written about 6 months before 9/11/01.

YHF is probably a top 5 album from the 00s. I know that's not saying much and this music might not be more fully appreciated for many years to come. This is a highly recommended HDTRACKS hi-res album.

Michael.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Michael,

Thank you for this. YHF is one of my all-time faves, and yes...I own "I am Trying To Break Your Heart" (one of my fave scenes is Jeff and Jay at the piano doing Cars Can't Escape). I will go for this new hirez master asap, thanks.

Michael,

Thank you for this. YHF is one of my all-time faves, and yes...I own "I am Trying To Break Your Heart" (one of my fave scenes is Jeff and Jay at the piano doing Cars Can't Escape). I will go for this new hirez master asap, thanks.

If you own the movie you'll remember the scene where Jeff Tweedy's little boy tells his daddy that "heavy metal drummer" is his favorite song. I just saw Jeff Tweedy's new band play here in Dallas at the Majestic Theater a couple of weeks ago. Guess whose playing the drums in his new band? I am a former rock drummer so I know good drummers. He's a good one for sure. It was a great show.

Michael.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Michael - Apologies for the OT: Is that a Kaluga in your avatar?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

• 1 month later...

Do you guys know the origin of the album name? W - Y - H - F ?

Here is a true story: Back in the day when the Russians were the bad guys. Oops....well let me restate. Back when the Cold War was raging, The US Army built a rather large radio transmitter somewhere in (West) Germany. The reason for this installation was "agent communications" in short, this powerful transmitter could broadcast all the way into Communist Europe and our recruited intelligence assets (spies) could receive instructions

Agent communications at that time were nothing more that simple one time pad codes. Numbers or the NATO phonetic alphabet.

So Alpha = A, Hotel = H, you get the idea.

Now a artifact of this high-power transmitter was that the signal could bounce off the cloud cover and be received just about anywhere.

You can guess what the "black helicopter" crowd made of this. A voice over the radio, no set frequency, random letters, numbers.

I think there still may be some internet speculation out there somewhere.

The joke was, we set the radio to broadcast 24/7 (when it was working) - for the most part there were no agents to receive the messages. It was all random numbers and letters.

I hope it drove comrade Putin nuts.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]14223[/ATTACH]Tweedy's new album to be released Sept 16

Sukierae - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not sure this is freely available to non-subscribers, but hope so: Jeff Tweedy's Subconscious Songwriting - The Atlantic

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

The DR on the YHF 96/24 is slightly higher than the CD. Average DR of 10, versus 9 for the CD.

that shows my propension to check files these days - i just checked that one (Kamera) and saw no evil, so didn't even check the DR on the whole album.

I listened to it and compared a couple of tracks with the CD issue I mentioned - my listening room is in a flux so I am not sure my impressions are useful, but I would say I think the HR is worth the money, it's a bit more detailed and delineated and probably Jeff Tweedy's voice as a bit more body/3D. Of course anybody else's impressions may vary...

best,

Igor

that shows my propension to check files these days - i just checked that one (Kamera) and saw no evil, so didn't even check the DR on the whole album.

I listened to it and compared a couple of tracks with the CD issue I mentioned - my listening room is in a flux so I am not sure my impressions are useful, but I would say I think the HR is worth the money, it's a bit more detailed and delineated and probably Jeff Tweedy's voice as a bit more body/3D. Of course anybody else's impressions may vary...

best,

Igor

I agree with your impressions...:)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this thread! I bought the remaster a few weeks ago and have played it many times. Great album, great sound!

I was listening to a vinyl rip before, which was enjoyable, but this has much better transients and is clear and open without being bright. Appropriate dynamics as well.

Hackintosh W7/OSX 3570k/16GB > Audirvana+ > Metric Halo ULN-8 > Rythmik F12 and Butler Audio TDB 2250 > Magnepan 1.7 > 13.5'x26'x7.5' room, HK/Limage setup