IGNORED

Audio Stand vs. Floor

It seems the large majority of hi-fi system owners keep their gear on some form of stand/rack. But occasionally, I'll come across a review or photos which shows an owners components placed on an iso-platform on the ground.

I'm curious to know if there's any benefit to this almost ground placement or if it's merely an aesthetic appeal.

Generally, I'll bet it's amps that you'll see on floor platforms. This gets done to shorten the length of amp to speaker cables, and also because some amps are just too big and/or heavy to put up in a rack. Especially if mono amps are being used.

As pooger states (supra) some amplifiers are just too heavy to rack.

Note: I bet there are not very many people who know what Natto is. (are you posting from Japan?) (if so lucky you)

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

Generally, I'll bet it's amps that you'll see on floor platforms. This gets done to shorten the length of amp to speaker cables, and also because some amps are just too big and/or heavy to put up in a rack. Especially if mono amps are being used.

Yea, most of the time I've seen it, it is with bigger block mono amps. But I have seen some examples where it was the whole system on 3-4 platforms (spiked/footered) - monos, pre, dac, mac, etc.

Would there be any potentially equipment/sound damaging effect for this style placement? I would guess someone might say something about static electricity or something with the cabling, etc?

Note: I bet there are not very many people who know what Natto is. (are you posting from Japan?) (if so lucky you)

I think the less who know what natto is, the more happier people we'll have in the world. Oh god, I can't stomach the stuff (yea, I'm in Japan).

Would there be any potentially equipment/sound damaging effect for this style placement? I would guess someone might say something about static electricity or something with the cabling, etc?

There'd generally be the advantage of keeping all of the cables as short as possible. But I think that being near the floor, close to speakers, would subject equipment to airborne and floor vibrations that would be detrimental. I prefer having my equipment, at least source electronics, in another room, as isolated from vibrations as possible.

One reason for doing it may be that the user wants to put the system in a convenient location (between the speakers) while not wanting a tower which can distort the sound stage.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Just looked up 'Natto'. I think I'll pass this time. Does it taste as bad as it looks?

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

One reason for doing it may be that the user wants to put the system in a convenient location (between the speakers) while not wanting a tower which can distort the sound stage.

Eloise

"while not wanting a tower which can distort the sound stage"

Huh ? is this speakers or a audio stand ? just trying to understand what your getting at

The Truth Is Out There

"while not wanting a tower which can distort the sound stage"

Huh ? is this speakers or a audio stand ? just trying to understand what your getting at

You're right that didn't make much sense... It should have said a "tower of equipment" which maybe still doesn't make sense.

In other words... It's often said that having a rack / cabinet in between speakers destroys the soundstage / imaging. Having the HiFi on/close to floor would remove (most) of that issue while still allowing it to be conveniently located between the speakers.

Eloise

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

You're right that didn't make much sense... It should have said a "tower of equipment" which maybe still doesn't make sense.

In other words... It's often said that having a rack / cabinet in between speakers destroys the soundstage / imaging. Having the HiFi on/close to floor would remove (most) of that issue while still allowing it to be conveniently located between the speakers.

Eloise

Now I understand. I think it really depends on the rack/audio equipment tower and where it's located between the speakers. Most of my equipment is "behind the speakers", since the speakers operate best about 2ft off the wall. I did try before hand to just have speakers on one wall with my equipment on another but I would rather keep my cabling distance short.

The Truth Is Out There

Mostly I think its about aesthetics and how the room works best. As well as things like weight of amplifiers and other practical concerns.

Eloise

---

MY gf swears by Natto... more people should be truly aware of this health delicacy...

HQ Player (#1) & Audrivana (#2) (wow! love the Apple w/music!!) .. these two software make my system "Amazing!", Purist USB- Benchmark DAC2 HGC (love it!), Purist Audio XLR , ATC SCM25A's (To Die For!) & Focal sub6 . Triode Power Cables with Uber Buss (Yes!) Also enjoy Audeze LCD3 w/"fat pipe cardas."

The main reason that people do it, whether they even realize it or not not, is that when you use iso platform, most likely some type of cork, rubber, metal spiking, has to do with vibration dampening. You speakers give off a lot of vibrations that typical can be carried through the ground to the amp/equipment... so why not take some of that vibration out of the equation...so people dampen then. I have all my equipment sitting on platforms with rubber, cork, rubber pads and whether it made a difference or not...well I *think* it did something...but there's no true way to prove the sound is better.