IGNORED

How can I clean up my Mac startup disc?

I have a 2008 Macbook (more detail below) and recently it has been taking 10 minutes to start up and telling me that the startup disc is full. When I start up it goes to a blue screen for 10 minutes then lets me log in and everything seems fine. However, when I add new music to iTunes or photos to iPhoto it tells me that my startup disc is full. I hardly have anything on it except for music, photos, and a few college essays. What can I do to clean up my startup disc?

Laptop info: 2008 Macbook, Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory: 4GB

Disc Usage: Space Free = 2/227GB

System Memory: 2.88/4GB free

I have about 6,500 photos on iPhoto and 44GB of music on iTunes.

smile.gif

Here's some free maintenance utilities: Titanium's Software • Index page

Thanks, that's several times various folks have mentioned Onyx - maybe this time I'll remember.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Before doing anything ... check that your iPhoto and iTunes libraries are where you think they are and ensure you do a backup. Maybe even worth getting a drive and doing a Carbon Copy Clone (or similar) before even starting to clean things up.

Another thing ... just check you don't need to empty your Trash can ... if you are used to Windows where it automatically empties the oldest things you might not realise you have to manually empty it.

Disk Inventory X is a useful utility for checking where all your disc space has gone too...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I agree with the greatest amount of advice already put out. What I would do *first* is go grab a larger external drive and clone the internal drive to it. Then you can always boot off the external disk and get back to where you started.

I would bet though, that buying a larger drive, will solve your boot up problem though. If so, that really bespeaks it is time for you to look at a small NAS, or just upgrading the MacBook to a newer unit with a larger drive.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein