IGNORED

"The Hum" phenomenon - Anyone affected by it?

Hi All,

Ever since I moved to Vila Velha, here in Brazil, I have been hearing this rather irritating constant humming when I am at home. It varies in audible intensity, I guess mostly affected by traffic and weather-conditions (wind speed and direction etc...).

The hum sounded like half that of a pitch-fork in frequency to me, so I generated a 220 Hz. sine in Audacity and compared it, holding my headphones close to one of my ears. I must be pretty good at guessing, because I got it right in one go. I checked with 219 and 221 Hz., but then I can hear the shifting phase effects (I am sure there is a name for it, but I forgot).

I think it originates from an ore-processing plant about 400 meters away, but I have no idea what kind of machine would generate it.

It got me curious, and I looked on the Internet to see what other "hums" people could hear. I ran into a phenomenon called "The Hum" (see The Hum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Given the fact that not everyone can hear it (somewhere between 2 and 11% of the people, depending on the location), I would assume that audiophiles may be a group of people more likely to be affected by it.

So, anyone here on CA that has experiences with this phenomenon or other irritating hums?

Peter.

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

I don't hear "The Hum." However, in the past month I have acquired new headphones, a headphone amp, a headphone stand, three new cables, an external HD, and several CDs and LPs; so I have been getting "The Look" from my wife whenever a package arrives at the house.

Could it be a 220 mains transformer on/near the building?

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

I generated a 220 Hz. sine in Audacity and compared it, holding my headphones close to one of my ears. I must be pretty good at guessing, because I got it right in one go. I checked with 219 and 221 Hz., but then I can hear the shifting phase effects (I am sure there is a name for it, but I forgot).

Beats, by Dr. Dre.

We just got one at the house last week. It's 24/7 and inside the house it sounds like a pump or fan. Outside it's harder to hear, we have had lots of wind this Spring (from the South on the hot days and from the North on the cold rainy days) and then there is traffic noise. But outside it sounds more like a railroad train on a very smooth track.

I suspect that it's a HVAC unit on one of the office buildings more than a half mile away. Maybe on the weekend the wind will diminish and I can go noise searching.

Sounds like the premiss for an episode of Fringe (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hi All,

Ever since I moved to Vila Velha, here in Brazil, I have been hearing this rather irritating constant humming when I am at home. It varies in audible intensity, I guess mostly affected by traffic and weather-conditions (wind speed and direction etc...).

The hum sounded like half that of a pitch-fork in frequency to me, so I generated a 220 Hz. sine in Audacity and compared it, holding my headphones close to one of my ears. I must be pretty good at guessing, because I got it right in one go. I checked with 219 and 221 Hz., but then I can hear the shifting phase effects (I am sure there is a name for it, but I forgot).

I think it originates from an ore-processing plant about 400 meters away, but I have no idea what kind of machine would generate it.

It got me curious, and I looked on the Internet to see what other "hums" people could hear. I ran into a phenomenon called "The Hum" (see The Hum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Given the fact that not everyone can hear it (somewhere between 2 and 11% of the people, depending on the location), I would assume that audiophiles may be a group of people more likely to be affected by it.

So, anyone here on CA that has experiences with this phenomenon or other irritating hums?

Peter.

Hi Peter,

Any volcano in a 20 kilometers range?

I had the same when in my farm, about 10 kilometers away, but the frequency oscillate from about 30 to 220 Hz, I got used to it after 10 years.

Best,

Roch

Could it be a 220 mains transformer on/near the building?

We are in an 127 Volts (officially; it varies from 115 - 138 Volts) area. I thought about that, but even as a 110 Hz. harmonic, I fail to see the relation...

Kind regards,

Peter

“We are the Audiodrones. Lower your skepticism and surrender your wallets. We will add your cash and savings to our own. Your mindset will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile.” - (Quote from Star Trek: The Audiophile Generation)

Beats, by Dr. Dre.

Thanks for the advice Bill, but I feel the cure is worse than the problem :)

Kind regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

Any volcano in a 20 kilometers range?

I had the same when in my farm, about 10 kilometers away, but the frequency oscillate from about 30 to 220 Hz, I got used to it after 10 years.

Best,

Roch

Hi Roch,

No volcanoes here my friend... But I believe it to be industrial in nature. I must say I am happy I do not live closer to the source! That would absolutely drive me nuts!

Kind regards,

Peter

I don't hear "The Hum." However, in the past month I have acquired new headphones, a headphone amp, a headphone stand, three new cables, an external HD, and several CDs and LPs; so I have been getting "The Look" from my wife whenever a package arrives at the house.

Have you been using her credit-card to order the stuff :)

Kind regards,

Peter

Hi Roch,

No volcanoes here my friend... But I believe it to be industrial in nature. I must say I am happy I do not live closer to the source! That would absolutely drive me nuts!

Kind regards,

Peter

Peter,

Any alien in the neighborhood, excluding you?

Schumann's resonances out of order? They are moving from (normal) 7.83 to ??.?? Hz?

Schumann Resonance - THE SEDONA EFFECT:

Dilma Rousseff with extradordinary menopause symptoms?

World Soccer Cup new stadium in construction?

Witches sent from some USB cables manufacturers...?

Best,

Roch

We are in an 127 Volts (officially; it varies from 115 - 138 Volts) area. I thought about that, but even as a 110 Hz. harmonic, I fail to see the relation...

Kind regards,

Peter

Ah, I see.

127 V found in states of Bahia, Paraná (including Curitiba), Rio de Janeiro, São Paulo and Minas Gerais (though 220 V may be found in some hotels). Other areas are 220 V only, with the exception of Fortaleza (240 V).

This is from the travel guides…what an interesting mix of voltages you have in your country!

John

Positive emotions enhance our musical experiences.

Synology DS213+ NAS -> Auralic Vega w/Linear Power Supply -> Auralic Vega DAC (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> XLR -> Auralic Taurus Pre -> XLR -> Pass Labs XA-30.5 power amplifier (on 4" maple and 4 Stillpoints) -> Hawthorne Audio Reference K2 Speakers in MTM configuration (Symposium Jr HD rollerball isolation) and Hawthorne Audio Bass Augmentation Baffles (Symposium Jr rollerball isolation) -> Bi-amped w/ two Rythmic OB plate amps) -> Extensive Room Treatments (x2 SRL Acoustics Prime 37 diffusion plus key absorption and extensive bass trapping) and Pi Audio Uberbuss' for the front end and amplification

Ah, I see.

This is from the travel guides…what an interesting mix of voltages you have in your country!

John

Hi John,

Irritating and sometimes expensive you mean :) If one moves from one state to another, many household appliances will need a voltage-converter, or need to be replaced. While there are quite a few dual-voltage devices, a lot of the devices are fixed at a certain voltage.

BTW, the travel-guide is incomplete... Espírito Santo, where I live, obviously also has 127 Volt. However, not many tourist-guides talk about ES because it is not really a touristic state.

Kind regards,

Peter

Thanks Bill... Now I get it! I must confess, however, that I think I never heard that name for it.

Kind regards,

Peter