IGNORED

HQ Player

6 hours ago, Miska said:

Which Linux did you try? Latest HQPlayer OS, or NAA OS (the non-ramfs image)?

Ubuntu 22.04 with HQPlayer 4 Desktop 4.19.3

6 hours ago, Miska said:

You mean you selected ASIO backend in HQPlayer, but the Parasound ASIO driver doesn't show up on the device list?

I selected ASIO backend but Parasound only showed up as WASAPI.

This is from the Parasound ASIO driver pdf guide:

Step 6 - Complete ASIO Setup (after restarting your computer)

In order to playback some digital audio files (including DSD files) you need to complete
one more series of steps:

• “DirectKS ASIO Full Duplex Setup” window will open
  • Check the box “SPDIF Interface – (PARASOUND –Digital Audio)”
  • Click the “Apply” button and then click the red “X” button in the top right to close
    the window. Driver setup is finished!

I dont understand why Parasound name the USB ASIO interface as SPDIF, which is sending digital audio using optical or coax up to 192khz PCM.

6 hours ago, Miska said:

If HQPlayer shows output as 11.2 MHz, then you are getting DSD256.

I dont understand why Hqplayer outputs DSD256 using WASAPI and DoP, I thought it needs ASIO USB to send DSD256. 

The sound from the Parasound built in DAC is very good.

4 hours ago, ericuco said:

If you are connecting to the Parasound with SPDIF, then according to documentation:

”Coax and optical inputs accept PCM up to 192kHz/24-bit”

You are 100% correct, strangely I dont know why Parasound name their ASIO USB interface as "SPDIF Interface – (PARASOUND –Digital Audio)". I installed the ASIO driver but the Parasound does not showed up selecting ASIO in the device list, only when I select WASAPI. To get sound I need to select DoP.

1 hour ago, eboy said:

Ubuntu 22.04 with HQPlayer 4 Desktop 4.19.3

Have you tried with my custom kernel? If it doesn't work, it could be possibly made to work. Contact me over email for details.

1 hour ago, eboy said:

I selected ASIO backend but Parasound only showed up as WASAPI.

This is from the Parasound ASIO driver pdf guide:

Step 6 - Complete ASIO Setup (after restarting your computer)

In order to playback some digital audio files (including DSD files) you need to complete
one more series of steps:

• “DirectKS ASIO Full Duplex Setup” window will open
  • Check the box “SPDIF Interface – (PARASOUND –Digital Audio)”
  • Click the “Apply” button and then click the red “X” button in the top right to close
    the window. Driver setup is finished!

I dont understand why Parasound name the USB ASIO interface as SPDIF, which is sending digital audio using optical or coax up to 192khz PCM.

If it doesn't appear under ASIO backend, then the ASIO driver is either broken or has only 32-bit component which cannot be loaded to 64-bit application. But sounds like a strange instruction to me.

SPDIF likely refers to the Windows audio interface classifications. Which is pretty much "Speakers", "Headphones" or "S/PDIF": Sad but the current situation with commercial OS audio stacks... For ASIO it shouldn't apply though, since ASIO bypasses the Windows audio stack completely.

1 hour ago, eboy said:

I dont understand why Hqplayer outputs DSD256 using WASAPI and DoP, I thought it needs ASIO USB to send DSD256. 

The sound from the Parasound built in DAC is very good.

Some DACs like iFi iDAC2 and exaSound (on macOS) for example have support for 705.6k "PCM" just for the purpose of DSD256 over DoP. If you try to input PCM at 705.6k to such device, it won't work. But it works with DoP.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 minutes ago, Miska said:

Some DACs like iFi iDAC2 and exaSound (on macOS) for example have support for 705.6k "PCM" just for the purpose of DSD256 over DoP. If you try to input PCM at 705.6k to such device, it won't work. But it works with DoP.

That makes sense, thanks 👍 

Hi Miska,

I am running trial mode of HQPe which is a Debian OS which I compiled, working well all along and suddenly today I cannot enter it via its web interface.

It said my copy is an offline copy, all the entries became dimmed.

If I click on the open online tab it also failed to enter.

Please help.

Thanks,

Matthew

Canada

8 hours ago, Miska said:

Have you tried with my custom kernel? If it doesn't work, it could be possibly made to work. Contact me over email for details.

I just install these (jammy)?

linux-image-5.15.71-jl+_5.15.71-jl+-10_amd64.deb

linux-headers-5.15.71-jl+_5.15.71-jl+-10_amd64.deb

libgmpris_2.2.1-10_amd64.deb

17 hours ago, Miska said:

I installed the custom kernel and native DSD and DoP did not work with ALSA, only PCM. Selecting DoP resulted in just white noise. DoP is working in Windows 10 using WASAPI.

This is Parasound aplay output:

Playing raw data '/dev/zero' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
HW Params of device "hw:1,0":
--------------------
ACCESS: MMAP_INTERLEAVED RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT: S16_LE S32_LE S24_3LE
SUBFORMAT: STD
SAMPLE_BITS: [16 32]
FRAME_BITS: [32 64]
CHANNELS: 2
RATE: [44100 705600]
PERIOD_TIME: [125 1000000]
PERIOD_SIZE: [8 705600]
PERIOD_BYTES: [64 5644800]
PERIODS: [2 1024]
BUFFER_TIME: (22 2000000]
BUFFER_SIZE: [16 1411200]
BUFFER_BYTES: [64 11289600]
TICK_TIME: ALL
-------------------- 

Format is only PCM and there is no native DSD support (DSD_U32_BE).

17 hours ago, Miska said:

From Parasound aplay output the rate [44100 705600], which makes sense why I got DSD256 using DoP (705.6khz PCM) and playback rate is max 384khz PCM.

I have a custom build streamer (Jcat XE cards LPS etc) and use HQplayer with ROON to stream my music. Music goes via XE USB card to Holo May DAC. I use HQplayer for volume control via ROON.

I created measurements of my dedicated listening room via REW. I did this with a laptop, using a UR12 that I connected to my analog active crossover. I did use these measurements to create convolution filters that I use with HQplayer.

1.       I would prefer to create REW measurements by feeding the REW sweep signal to my PC streamer and via the streamer to the Holo May DAC and from the DAC to the active crossover.

2.       I would prefer to run a REW sweep to check the convolution files used by HQplayer. Can I send the REW sweep trough HQplayer to check how well the convolution filters work?

What is the best way to do this?

Should I install REW on my PC streamer? In that case, can I output the sweep via the Jcat USB XE to the Holo May?

Any other suggestions

Acoustic optimized listening room, PS-Audio power plant 10 + PS-audio power cables, Magnepan MG 20.1 modified (wiring, filters), Active crossover, Krell KSA-300S (upgraded with better components) for low-frequency panel, Audio Research VS115 for high frequencies, Holo audio May KTE, Transparent XLR cables, self-made speaker cables, Self-made streamer: HDPLEX 300W Linear Power Supply, HDPLEX H5 Fanless Chassis, Supermicro X11SCL-F, Intel Xeon E-2236 Boxed, Apacer 2x 8GB ECC Industrial, Apacer SLC SSD Industrial, HDPLEX LPSU, Jcat USB EX, Jcat NET EX, 3M Absorber Sheets, JCAT Reference SATA Cable, AudioQuest Diamond USB kabel, Sbooster BOTW P&P MKII 5V, Server 2019, audiophile optimizer, ROON server (op QNAP NAS), HQplayer

1 hour ago, JeroenD said:

2.       I would prefer to run a REW sweep to check the convolution files used by HQplayer. Can I send the REW sweep trough HQplayer to check how well the convolution filters work?

What is the best way to do this?

Should I install REW on my PC streamer? In that case, can I output the sweep via the Jcat USB XE to the Holo May?

You can export the sweep from REW and play it back through HQPlayer. And record it using some other computer running REW. REW is able to detect and use it correctly based on marker tones.

1 hour ago, Miska said:

You can export the sweep from REW and play it back through HQPlayer. And record it using some other computer running REW. REW is able to detect and use it correctly based on marker tones.

Thx!
I will have a look how I can export the sweep from REW so I can use it like you suggest.

Acoustic optimized listening room, PS-Audio power plant 10 + PS-audio power cables, Magnepan MG 20.1 modified (wiring, filters), Active crossover, Krell KSA-300S (upgraded with better components) for low-frequency panel, Audio Research VS115 for high frequencies, Holo audio May KTE, Transparent XLR cables, self-made speaker cables, Self-made streamer: HDPLEX 300W Linear Power Supply, HDPLEX H5 Fanless Chassis, Supermicro X11SCL-F, Intel Xeon E-2236 Boxed, Apacer 2x 8GB ECC Industrial, Apacer SLC SSD Industrial, HDPLEX LPSU, Jcat USB EX, Jcat NET EX, 3M Absorber Sheets, JCAT Reference SATA Cable, AudioQuest Diamond USB kabel, Sbooster BOTW P&P MKII 5V, Server 2019, audiophile optimizer, ROON server (op QNAP NAS), HQplayer

Hi Miska, I was able to generate the sweep files in REW and play them on my system via ROON.

I was also able to record the result of the sweep in my room via a laptop and REW.

Yesterday I suspected that the convolution filters I made with REW did not work. I noticed a clear difference in the lower frequency range compared to what I would suspect when the convolution filter was enabled.

So, this evening I recorded a sweep with REW when the convolution engine in HQplayer was enabled and a recording when the convolution engine was disabled. The resulted recordings are exactly identical. So, it looks like the convolution engine on my streamer is not working.

I did restart the streamer (Windows server 2019) but no difference. I also removed HQplayer and newly installed it but no difference.

I am using the latest version 4.19.3.

Do you have any idea what the root cause could be?

16 minutes ago, JeroenD said:

Hi Miska, I was able to generate the sweep files in REW and play them on my system via ROON.

I was also able to record the result of the sweep in my room via a laptop and REW.

Yesterday I suspected that the convolution filters I made with REW did not work. I noticed a clear difference in the lower frequency range compared to what I would suspect when the convolution filter was enabled.

So, this evening I recorded a sweep with REW when the convolution engine in HQplayer was enabled and a recording when the convolution engine was disabled. The resulted recordings are exactly identical. So, it looks like the convolution engine on my streamer is not working.

I did restart the streamer (Windows server 2019) but no difference. I also removed HQplayer and newly installed it but no difference.

I am using the latest version 4.19.3.

Do you have any idea what the root cause could be?

You can easily switch HQPlayer's convolution in/out on the fly and typically you should notice a difference.

If you are using REW for doing room corrections, there's no point in using convolution for the corrections. You get same result with less load by exporting the EQ settings as txt file and importing it to HQPlayer's matrix processor.

I would not involve Roon at all in this kind of testing. It is just unnecessary complication. Just use HQPlayer standalone.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

You can easily switch HQPlayer's convolution in/out on the fly and typically you should notice a difference.

If you are using REW for doing room corrections, there's no point in using convolution for the corrections. You get same result with less load by exporting the EQ settings as txt file and importing it to HQPlayer's matrix processor.

I would not involve Roon at all in this kind of testing. It is just unnecessary complication. Just use HQPlayer standalone.

Hi Miska, thx for the tip to use the matrix processor instead of using WAV file convolution filters. I assume that if I also want to perform phase and timing corrections, I need to use the convolution engine in HQplayer in combination with WAV files. Or is there another reason to use the convolution engine over the matrix processor?

The convolution filters I created in REW some time ago were working very well. Yesterday I noticed that the lower frequencies did not sound like expected although the convolution engine in HQplayer was enabled. Disabling and enabling did not make any difference. That’s’ why I wanted to be able to measure this which I did by playing the sweeps via HQplayer instead of REW on my laptop.

Any idea what the problem can be?

I will perform a test using the matrix processor later today.

Hi Miska, thx for the tip to use the matrix processor instead of using WAV file convolution filters. I assume that if I also want to perform phase and timing corrections, I need to use the convolution engine in HQplayer in combination with WAV files. Or is there another reason to use the convolution engine over the matrix processor?

What you find under "convolution" in HQPlayer is simplified system for running straightforward room corrections. Matrix processor in turn includes much more capabilities, including convolution engine.

If you want to do phase/time corrections, then you need to use convolution engine. But REW itself generates only simple parametric EQs and those are better run as such instead of conversion to convolution filters (WAV).

The convolution filters I created in REW some time ago were working very well. Yesterday I noticed that the lower frequencies did not sound like expected although the convolution engine in HQplayer was enabled. Disabling and enabling did not make any difference. That’s’ why I wanted to be able to measure this which I did by playing the sweeps via HQplayer instead of REW on my laptop.

Any idea what the problem can be?

I will perform a test using the matrix processor later today.

I would recommend to load the filters you are using to matrix processor instead because then you can also use the Plot-button to view responses of those filters to see that they are OK. You can use matrix profiles to switch the corrections in/out on the fly.

You can later go back to simple convolution engine if you want to. Just remember that convolution engine and matrix processor are mutually exclusive. So only enable one of these at a time.

Hi Miska, would you consider adding a mono button to the main interface, please?  I am playing a lot of vinyl with HQP now and was frustrated last night that I could not implement that on the fly via the HQPD.  Also, what filter would you recommend for vinyl replay?  I was using ext2 last night but realized that an apodizing filter is probably unnecessary.  Also, if you could guide me to the correct syntax for a low shelf.  I am not getting a plot using lshelf:f=50;q=1;g=16  Still trying to implement a basic Blumlein correction for 78s.  

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

1 minute ago, scintilla said:

Hi Miska, would you consider adding a mono button to the main interface, please?  I am playing a lot of vinyl with HQP now and was frustrated last night that I could not implement that on the fly via the HQPD.

HQPDcontrol doesn't support switching matrix profiles on the fly? HQPlayer Client at least does.

But what would that mono button do and why it would be necessary?

Also, what filter would you recommend for vinyl replay?  I was using ext2 last night but realized that an apodizing filter is probably unnecessary.  Also, if you could guide me to the correct syntax for a low shelf.

Depends on your ADC... Most modern ADCs need apodizing filter.

I am not getting a plot using lshelf:f=50;q=1;g=16  Still trying to implement a basic Blumlein correction for 78s.  

What is your full syntax? "iir:type=lshelf50;q=1;g=16"?

I gather that a typical mono button just sums the channels and outputs to both chanels.  When using a stereo pickup I think there can occasionally be some imbalances based on the condition of the vinyl.  I have a good number of 50's mono LPs and have used a mono button in Puremusic to implement that before.  But with that no longer and option because of OS incompatibility, I am trying to find another solution.  Unfortunately, my preamp doesn't offer a mono button either.  

e

I see that I missed defining the filter as IIR.  I was trying to follow the user manual, but I guess I didn't understand the way to write it out.  I will try that.

image.thumb.jpeg.a4a84e289e35c7e49a6d3042fc9b2a99.jpeg

4 minutes ago, scintilla said:

I gather that a typical mono button just sums the channels and outputs to both chanels.

Yes, that's what I thought but just wanted to make sure we are talking about the same thing. Rather than introducing a specific button for this, I'd propose using the matrix profiles feature for the purpose. You can switch the profiles on fly, even while playing. You can create four pipelines that mix left and right channels at -6 dB gain. This does what you are asking for and you can easily combine it in the same profile where you possibly do other specific DSP things for the particular type of source.

Can HQPDcontrol switch matrix profiles on the fly? I think it was at least requested earlier at some point. HQPlayer Client certainly can.