IGNORED

Motherboard alternatives for Streamcom FC5WS EVO case (aka Zuma)

The Intel DH77EB seems to be short in supply and w/ inflated in price. What over models/brands will work for say $120 or under. I plan to use an i5 processor (not sure which voltage/model yet).

*eSata is a must for me.

See my thread "New Build Feedback". I just finished a build with an ASRock 87M-ITX. It has eSata and meets your price range. I am running an i3 chip in it and the heat pipes are not even warm. Fits the case perfectly. I originally started with the FC8 case but the board did not fit that case. Fits perfectly in the FC5.

Best yet it sounds great. A huge improvement in my system.

Streacom FC5 Evo case with 160w 12v pico supply

12v power brick for now and linear supply later

ASRock H87M-ITX system board

Intel i3-4130T 35w cpu

G-Skill Ripjaws 2 x 4G DDR3 1600 memory

Samsung 840 128G SSD + 760G Samsung 840

Windows Server 2012

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

Streacom FC5 Evo case with 160w 12v pico supply

12v power brick for now and linear supply later

ASRock H87M-ITX system board

Intel i3-4130T 35w cpu

G-Skill Ripjaws 2 x 4G DDR3 1600 memory

Samsung 840 128G SSD + 760G Samsung 840

Windows Server 2012

Hmmm so that board is a mini-ITX not a Micro-ATX? I guess as long as it aligns with the heatpipes it will work.

Did you figure out that noise issue you were having when you moved your mouse?

I've replaced the dh77eb with the dh87rl and the I7 3770S with the I7 4770T you can use the same ram. There are lots of m-ITX that work - have a look at the HDPlex site for boards that work with the H5.S or check the Streacom site for the FC5WS.

Are you able to fit an audiophile USB card in the FC5?

The case has slot on the back to accommodate a card. You just need an extender cable to connect it. I may get a PPA card soon.

Hmmm so that board is a mini-ITX not a Micro-ATX? I guess as long as it aligns with the heat pipes it will work.

Did you figure out that noise issue you were having when you moved your mouse?

The heat pipes fit well. If I use the DVI output I se no noise, just with the vga output. I swapped out the PicoPS but that did not solve the issue. I have replacement brick from QuietPC to try now. To be honest it sounds so go to me that I am not too worried about it since I use it headless.

"Don't Believe Everything You Think"

System

I've replaced the dh77eb with the dh87rl and the I7 3770S with the I7 4770T you can use the same ram. There are lots of m-ITX that work - have a look at the HDPlex site for boards that work with the H5.S or check the Streacom site for the FC5WS.

Looks like the dh87rl has no esata or firewire. That's a shame.

As far as the 4770t I can't even find this for sale. I found the specs and can easily see why you would opt for it. Just curious, why do prefer the i7 over the i5 or i3? It just doesn't seem necessary for a pure music server.

It's a natural update for the Zuma for people who need the power for room correction or multi-channel. See the PPA CPU tests as well for the i7 4770t, (I think it is a really good combination with the dh87rl):

paul professional audio studio: The total solution with Streacom FC10

Quiet PC has the 4770t in the UK at about £250, it is cheaper at Scan but they rarely have stock, in the USA you can get it from A-Tech Fabrication and other places.

Thanks for that info. How do you get around the lack of esata or firewire with the dh87rl motherboard? Do intel boards not have these anymore? From what I understand, it is not a good idea to use a USB 3.0 external drive even when your are using a completely separate USB 3.0 on a PCIe card. Something to do with interrupts on the OS level.

Now, I assume you like to go the NAS route, but it makes sense to me to use my LAN port just for communicating with my control laptop. Maybe that will have no effect on performance? It just doesn't make much sense to me, even if I connect a switch.

I use SSD or compact flash for music storage and SSD (mSATA or PPA SSD or Samsung 840 PRO) for the OS. I use a PPA Version 1 USB card and no NAS or external drives of any kind.

I can get 3 SSDs in an A-Tech Fabrication drive cage and there is still room for others in a 2500 case. It depends how large your collection is whether you can go fully internal I suppose.

Ok, thanks again. Are there any current Intel mb's with esata? Or did they do away with that altogether?

Can you not just add a SATA to eSATA cable?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have expected the I7 4770S to be the logical replacement. Why the 4770T?

I would have expected the I7 4770S to be the logical replacement. Why the 4770T?

Chris intended to use an I7 with the lowest TDP:

I wanted a Core i7 processor with the lowest TDP in an effort to balance heat and power. Unfortunately the Core i7 3770T processor with a TDP of 45W is nearly impossible to purchase at this time. Many laptops from major manufacturers use this 3770T design so Intel has sold its inventory to these manufacturers and likely promised a delayed retail availability.