IGNORED

Suggestions for 3 Dimensional Music

Hello all. I recently purchased the Sennheiser HD800 and blown away by its soundstage and positional audio. If anyone would like to suggest their top picks for lossless albums that have great 3 dimensional recordings and instrument separation I would love to here them. I'm on a search now for music with pristine recordings, as my HD800 can be very analytical on the music I play. But when the right recordings are played its magical. I listen to ALL types of music. Pop and jazz have been my favorite lately on these cans. Thanks for any input.

My favourite three-dimensional album is 2L's La Voie Triomphale. I got it in a box with a SACD and a Blu-Ray audio with 192/24 PCM stereo (plus a surround mix that I cannot play as I only have stereo gear). It can also be downloaded from 2L in various high-res formats.

By the way, might I ask you which amp you are using to drive your HD800?

Thanks for your suggestions guys! All were great. My favorite are CJFs, they bring back so many memories as a kid!! Enjoying them all. Boris I as using the Asus Essence One amp/dac to run my HD800s. Its a 600ohm amp that might be more familiar to the PC community, but it runs my HD800 extremely well. It is not as neutral as the HDVD800, but the E1 has a amazing bass reach, which I think the HD800 needs in some genres.

I also found an amazing binaural instrumental album by Gordon Wycliffe that has great 3-dimentional instrument placement if anyone wants to take a listen to free here. Dreams of New Orleans - Audiophile Picks | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

Boris I as using the Asus Essence One amp/dac to run my HD800s. Its a 600ohm amp that might be more familiar to the PC community, but it runs my HD800 extremely well. It is not as neutral as the HDVD800, but the E1 has a amazing bass reach, which I think the HD800 needs in some genres.

Thanks your reply. Good to know.

Couple of my favorite artists CJF! A couple more-The project with Gilmore/The Orb- Metallic Spheres, and here's an odd one

Mentallo & The Fixer-Love Is The Law, I have no clue how they pulled this off in two channel, wow, It's a bizarre cd, but the effects are quite neat

I'm a big fan of Amused to Death by Roger Waters.

+1

Impressive 3D soundstage via my stereo setup.

Also Sting's The Soul Cages album.

Synology NAS, Mac Mini 2011 (with SSD and 16GB RAM), Lampizator L4 Gen4 PCM DAC, Concert Fidelity CF-080 LSX2 line pre-amp, SGR CX4F active speakers, Apple iPad (as remote).

Software: OS X Mavericks, Amarra Symphony 3.0 with iRC/Audirvana Plus 1.5.12/, Remoter VNC (on iPad). CAD OS X script v2.2 (to remove redundant processes).

OS X Mavericks running from SD card; 8 GB RAM disk for music files.

All connected via a snakes nest of various exotic cables! ;o)

Congratulations with the HD800!

I am a happy owner of one myself.

These 3 albums from the Sound Liaison label and 1 from the Reference Recordings label are the best sounding I have for my 800.

None of my other downloads comes even close to these 4 in depth, spaciousness,and detail.And what is so fantastic when listening on the 800 is the beautiful sense of placement,you can really ''see'' the instruments,when the recording has been done with good placement.

You can listen to the Sound Liaison albums on their site in reasonably good mp3 quality,

if you buy a download it is a Wav 24/96 Studio Master,one to one copy of the original tracks.

Paul%20Band%20Milan%20200.pngtrack 6 ''the Colonel'' is my favourite.

SSS1%20Milan%20200.pngtalking about 3 dimensional,the 1th track ''I'm on Fire'' says it all says it all,that is what I call depth.

Torn%20v2%20200%20shadow.pngand the HD800's ability to represent the whole audio spectrum is proven when playing back track 7,Let's go get stoned''with the amazing bass intro.

RM-2507Cover_s.jpg''The Night on the Devils Road''Doug's voice is right there,as if he is sitting at the kitchen table telling the story.

Well these are my 4 suggestions. I will be monitoring this thread closely for other material for these incredible Headphones.

Belatedly, I realise that the request was about pop/rock music rather than classical, so as a PS to my earlier post, one suggestion is U2's War album, which is recorded with a great sense of space, especially New Year's Day. Recent remasters, however, are best avoided as they are painfully volume-compressed: go for original CD pressings from the 1980s. The late-1990 pressings already have quite some volume compression, though not as bad as the ones from the 2000s.

Malia "Black Orchid"

Eurithmics "Be yourself tonight" (especially the track "I love you like a ball and chain")

the already mentioned Roger Waters "Amused to death"

But to be honest... the 3 dimensional effects are much more impressive listening

to my stereo setup than with my HD800.

Hi Swolern,

Hello all. I recently purchased the Sennheiser HD800 and blown away by its soundstage and positional audio. If anyone would like to suggest their top picks for lossless albums that have great 3 dimensional recordings and instrument separation I would love to here them. I'm on a search now for music with pristine recordings, as my HD800 can be very analytical on the music I play. But when the right recordings are played its magical. I listen to ALL types of music. Pop and jazz have been my favorite lately on these cans. Thanks for any input.

The best way I know to get a 3-D recording is to capture it in real stereo. This is what I've done with the the projects I've engineered for Soundkeeper Recordings. All are recorded direct to stereo using a matched pair of mics arranged in a stereo array.

I invite you to visit the site and check out some samples. (Most are 256k mp3 but our Format Comparison page has full resolution samples you can download for free.)

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio