IGNORED

Opinions for off the shelf linear ps for Zuma

I'm looking at 3 off the shelf units and have trawled through these forums looking at threads relating to Linear psu's.

What I'm looking for here are clear user opinions of the following 3 and are they capable of powering a Zuma styled server with no issues?

SOtM sPS-1000 High End Audio Ultra Low Noising DC Linear Power Supply

Teddy12/4 - 12V 4.5A Power Supply

Keces DC-116 regulated power supply

The Keces sales service feedback is off putting although it is meant to be a capable unit.

The Teddy will possibly struggle with a 4A output?

The SOtM is pretty perfect output wise but rather expensive but seems very capable. Batteries could be an issue?

I am hoping to use a HDPLEX 150W DC-ATX Converter 16v-24v wide range voltage (link below) for a couple of resaons. 1/ being that it is modular 2/ It fits comfortably with in the HDPLEX cases 3/ It is easy to mod. Okay, pretty weak reasoning considering that I can't find any other information on the unit itself so is/could be a punt on my part.

HDPLEX-150W-DC-ATX-Converter 16V-24V Wide Range Voltage Input

Am I moving the right direction?

About the SOtM you should contact Jesus at Sonore. Acc'd to the website it will work for the Zuma. The batteries shouldn't be an issue, it will smart charge.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

The Teddy Pardo unit will work without issue. Mine has been running my friends unit for the last couple of months.

Just so you know, the Pardo 4.5A unit is not a LPS. It's actually a medical grade SMPS with his Super Reg after it. It's a stellar performer is all I can say. Objectively and subjectively it's pretty awesome. I've built a few LPS that cost much more and would probably just use the Pardo.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

On my Zuma, I used a 12 volt PicoPSU (Paul Pang has a very good one), you can use a Tripp Lite PR10 DC Power Supply Low Profile 10A 120V AC Input to 13.8V DC Output. You'll need to have someone drop the voltage down to 12 volts.

Cost at Amazon:

Amazon.com : Tripp Lite PR10 DC Power Supply Low Profile 10A 120V AC Input to 13.8V DC Output : Cb Radio Linear Amplifiers : Electronics

$78.

Works great. Very low ripple as measured by a friend who's one of the most famous amp designers in the world and who loved it with the Zuma, which I loaned him for a month.

Paul Pang Products are here:

SHOPPING AREA

and

SHOPPING AREA: DC to ATX 160W PSU

You can get the 12 volt model or the higher voltage... For the Tripp-lite you'd want the 12 volt.

MG555

• 4 weeks later...
The Teddy Pardo unit will work without issue. Mine has been running my friends unit for the last couple of months.

Just so you know, the Pardo 4.5A unit is not a LPS. It's actually a medical grade SMPS with his Super Reg after it. It's a stellar performer is all I can say. Objectively and subjectively it's pretty awesome. I've built a few LPS that cost much more and would probably just use the Pardo.

Which CPU did you use in the Zuma? I went with an i5 3470. I know CPU wattage ratings are made at having them run full bore. I doubt a music server running only jRiver will have that kind of workload.

Thanks,

Paul

...you can use a Tripp Lite PR10 DC Power Supply Low Profile 10A 120V AC Input to 13.8V DC Output. You'll need to have someone drop the voltage down to 12 volts.

How is the mechanical hum on the Tripp Lite unit? Most of that type I have tried make a lot of noise. With two I had the mechanical hum would go up and down with the computer's current demand.

Unfortunately the unit has no aesthetic qualities either and will never make into my home.

I'm still in the market for a linear PSU for my Zuma stlyed build but have chosen to wait and see what becomes available over the next several months.

I noticed HDplex are introducing one, which looks like a Teradak. They say it isn't due to its 19v output but their explanation seems a little thin. Either way, it could be a reasonably priced alternative. (They run their forums like Communist China, no dissent allowed, moderated for control)

This audiophile market seems remarkably loaded with high priced items that supposedly do wondrous things to SQ, smash your wallet yet at home, add just a little bit more SQ to your kit (possibly).

I'll be keeping real whilst watching for a fair priced unit not built for the garage or workshop.

Unfortunately the unit has no aesthetic qualities either and will never make into my home.

I'm still in the market for a linear PSU for my Zuma stlyed build but have chosen to wait and see what becomes available over the next several months.

I noticed HDplex are introducing one, which looks like a Teradak. They say it isn't due to its 19v output but their explanation seems a little thin. Either way, it could be a reasonably priced alternative. (They run their forums like Communist China, no dissent allowed, moderated for control)

This audiophile market seems remarkably loaded with high priced items that supposedly do wondrous things to SQ, smash your wallet yet at home, add just a little bit more SQ to your kit (possibly).

I'll be keeping real whilst watching for a fair priced unit not built for the garage or workshop.

I will be testing the Teddy Pardo in my newly built Zuma so I will be able to provide feedback to you in a few weeks. It seems a bit underpowered on paper, but since my CPU is only running about 3% utilization max I think it may be fine. One thing I am considering is 2 Teddy's - 1 12v model for the PC and CPU and the 5v model to power only the SSD and USB card. I have only ordered the 12v model for now

A world famous amp designer tested the Tripp Lite (3 of them) and said they work great. We hear nothing... But then maybe we're older...

Mike. I am thinking about this and wondered if you can use an after market power cord? Can you share how the Tripp Kite was modified?

My computer is on the other side of a door so looks is not a problem.

AMR 777 DAC, Purist Ultimate USB, PC server 4gig SOTM USB, server 2012, Audiophil Optimizer,Joule Preamp LAP150 Platinum Vcaps Bybee, Spectron Monoblocks Bybee Vcaps, Eggleston Savoy speakers, 2 REL Stentor III subwoofers, Pranawire Cosmos speaker wire, Purist Dominus Praesto cabling, Purist Anniversary (Canorus)power cables and Elrod Statement Gold power cable, VPI Aries I SDS w/Grado The Statement LP, 11kVA power isolation, 16 sound panels and bass traps TAD,RPG,GIK and Realtraps

Mike. I am thinking about this and wondered if you can use an after market power cord? Can you share how the Tripp Kite was modified?

My computer is on the other side of a door so looks is not a problem.

I had one Tripp Lite modded by Bolder Cable (no longer in business) and he put in an IEC so I could change the power cord. And he modded the PCB.

But when my amp designer friend tested it in his lab, it wasn't any better than the stock one, which he dropped down from 13.8 volts to 12 volts. They're silent and work fine... especially for a budget but the Keces may be a good one to go as well. The Teradaks have received excellent reviews on the Jplay forums. Paul Pang of PPA Studios also has an LPS for about $400 or so.

MG555

• 2 weeks later...

I have had the Teddy Pardo 12v 4.5 amp PS in use non-stop, running my Zuma for the past 5 days. It has not missed a beat and has lowered the noise level considerably. My music is stored on a NAS so there is no music drive internal, only the boot SSD. I do have 2 of my i5 cores disabled to save power and reduce heat. This has no impact on performance as there is only one thing running outside of the core Server 2012 R2 OS, JRiver, so it wouldn't utilize more than 2 cores anyway.