IGNORED

Hey A+.. Why don't you make your "Playlist mode" a uPnP renderer?

Audirvana Plus is an outstanding product.

But wouldn't it be *really* cool if an end user could point the A+ playlist mode to a DLNA server?

Then we would could turn any old mac into a multichannel DSD/PCM hirez compatible streamer...

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

But wouldn't it be *really* cool if an end user could point the A+ playlist mode to a DLNA server?

Then we would could turn any old mac into a multichannel DSD/PCM hirez compatible streamer...

You can if you use another mac as the control computer with screen sharing. A+ in standalone mode allows you to use the finder to select music from any place the computer can see, no DLNA needed.

http://www.apple.com/remotedesktop/

No electron left behind.

Sure. You've missed my point. OSX can't "see" a uPnP server. Can it? Like I can't "point" it and get OSX to serve up Minimserver. Sure. I know you can point OSX to an smb or afp share, but a uPnP share? The whole point is there are now uPnP servers out there like MinimServer doing a very nice job of file serving, menus and tag trees that are independent of say an iTunes or JRiver.....

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Sure. You've missed my point. OSX can't "see" a uPnP server. Can it? Like I can't "point" it and get OSX to serve up Minimserver. Sure. I know you can point OSX to an smb or afp share, but a uPnP share? The whole point is there are now uPnP servers out there like MinimServer doing a very nice job of file serving, menus and tag trees that are independent of say an iTunes or JRiver.....

OSX does not have this out of the box, but there are apps for this exact purpose.

Search for 'uPnP' on the App Store for some free / cheap possibilities.

I have not tried any on a mac but have done so on iPad successfully, using Eye TV for iPhone / iPad. Which was free and worked with my Samsung tv, but seemed to be designed to work best with the Elgato server which was mac only and not free. Be prepared for some head scratching if you're looking to end up with a really cool family friendly solution.

^ again. Missed the point. These all make OSX *share* a folder/whatever via uPnP...in otherwords they turn a Mac into a uPnP server. What I want to do is make OSX *render* or mount a uPnP share. The same way say Kinsky does this. Even cooler. Write some script in A+ itself that finds uPnP server shares and displays them within the playlist...

Are you missing my point? Using remote desktop and A+ you could have all your music on a NAS and use A+ in standalone mode. How would that be any different?

No electron left behind.

To me, asking to introduce UPnP/DLNA to Audirvana is like asking the waiter put a big dollop of dog food on top of your filet mignon. No thanks.

With all due respect what are you talking about?

...adding uPnP into the standalone mode of A+ would do nothing but add an alternative source for the files.

It wouldn't alter the sound or playback any other way..

All I'm suggesting is A+ broadens it's playlist file sources to something outside a directly attached file source or itunes..

...heck it's got to compete with the likes of JRiver (now it runs on OSX....)

...And why be shackled to itunes for media library mangement...?

Why are you all so negative towards this idea?

Geeeeeeezzz.

For more direct discussion with A+ developer:

audirvana.com • Search

Damien (A+ developer) does not seem keen, he has other ideas on his roadmap - here's a quote from Dec 2012

yes, and such integration is not in my short term plans. XBMC is also a resource hungry stuff, maybe even more than iTunes, and thus needing to be tamed not to disturb too much the sound quality.

Honestly with all due respect no offence was intended :)

Fair enough. NP. It's his player.. he can develop it how he want's.. :)

If it won't play my files the way I want, I'll just move on :)

Where I am coming from here is there are now some great little uPnP servers like MinimServer which off great tag reading..and allow users to run their libraries on a NAS.. and the tag reading in A+ Standalone is really lame.. unless I'm missing something.. I mean /title/album/artist/composer/duration.. can't there be a few more tag fields to search from?..

Here we go 2591.gifYour asking Audirvana but what about the other players, J River, FooBar2000, Amarra, Pure Music etc.... can they do as you ask... there are those out there like 'SongBook for Mac' it acts like a UPNP MediaServer, but it's not like Audirvana

The Truth Is Out There

With all due respect what are you talking about?

...adding uPnP into the standalone mode of A+ would do nothing but add an alternative source for the files.

It wouldn't alter the sound or playback any other way..

All I'm suggesting is A+ broadens it's playlist file sources to something outside a directly attached file source or itunes..

...heck it's got to compete with the likes of JRiver (now it runs on OSX....)

...And why be shackled to itunes for media library mangement...?

Why are you all so negative towards this idea?

Geeeeeeezzz.

Here is but a sample of the indictments against UPnP/DLNA: Why do I hate DLNA protocol so much ? | Ben's Lost World - Diary of a GeeXboX developer

Written by the developer of uShare, a UNIX DLNA server that became so popular it is now part of the standard Ubuntu distribution. And down in the comments of the above blog post is a ditto from the developer of another UpNP server, GUPnP/Rygel.