IGNORED

SMB, NAS and OS X 10.9

• 2 months later...

Bill, does either flavor of SMB in Mavericks work for streaming media?

Apparently, a few OS's ago Apple adopted a version of SMB that is incompatible with consumer audio products that purport to play A/V files from SMB shares. (Specifically, my newly acquired Oppo 103 will not play video files in an SMB shared folder on my Mac running Mt Lion, but it will play the same files on a 2008 Time Capsule.

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

The Oppo only has built-in SMB and DLNA (UPnP) network clients, so NFS won't work.

However, I solved the problem by installing a Plex DLNA server on my Mac Mini.

I suppose Serviio would be equivalent to Plex. Do you have experience with Serviio and reasons to recommend it, or did you only just now discover it in a web search? (I see it's google's top hit when searching DLNA server Mac.)

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

• 2 weeks later...

Did you guys know that with last month's release of OS X 1.9.2 Apple has started defaulting to SMB2 for file sharing versus AFP?

Apple shifts from AFP file sharing to SMB2 in OS X 10.9 Mavericks

And then here is an article that attempts to benchmark SMB1 versus SMB2 versus NFS3:

Techknowlogy: Mavericks NFS vs SMB Implementation - Speed Test

This stuff always confuses the heck out of me. I mostly stopped learning about network file protocols back in the NetBios days with Novell. But it does look like things are converging and hopefully simplifying.

Did you guys know that with last month's release of OS X 1.9.2 Apple has started defaulting to SMB2 for file sharing versus AFP?

Apple shifts from AFP file sharing to SMB2 in OS X 10.9 Mavericks

And then here is an article that attempts to benchmark SMB1 versus SMB2 versus NFS3:

Techknowlogy: Mavericks NFS vs SMB Implementation - Speed Test

This stuff always confuses the heck out of me. I mostly stopped learning about network file protocols back in the NetBios days with Novell. But it does look like things are converging and hopefully simplifying.

I'm having Smb (1 or 2) speed issues under Mavericks connecting to QNAP NAS through Gb Ethernet or Wi-Fi (Asus router) from my Mac mini. I get only 25% of the AFP speed if I switch to Smb. Not sure if my network causes the issue or OSX.