IGNORED

ATV3 vs NetFlix

Yesterday, out ATV3 stopped working with Netflix. It presents an error message saying the ATV cannot connect us to Netflix at this time time, and requested we try again. Error code is (ATV-ui31).

Netflix denies it is anything they might be doing.

Apple has not weighed in on the subject.

No Netflix. Everything else works. iTunes, iTunes Match, Hulu, Smithsonian Channel, MLB, etc. No problems.

Netflix claimed it was out network connection is to slow. This is on a 117mbs connection and Netflix works on all out other gear (iPads, iPhone, Computers, etc.). Even more, Netflix works on an ATV2 we have laying around. Doesn't look as good and the interface is a year old.

They they claimed we needed to reset the ATV3. We had already done that, but did it again to be compliant. No Netflix.

They they claimed we need to complete reset the ATV3 to factory standards. I did that, grudgingly, because one has to type in all the user information again, but we did it anyway. Still no Netflix.

Anyone else running into this, or even better, found a *fix* for this?

My take is that it is Netflix denying the device access, or they pushed out an interface change without notifying Apple.

Buggers. They don't provide an SLA so you can't even get credit for down time like this. Still down tonight by the way.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Yes, and it works on our ATV2 as well, but not our ATV3s. The twos still have the old interface, and cannot handle the 1080 format video. I am hearing that quite a few other people are having this same trouble on ATV3s.

Our netflix is working fine on ATV2 with the latest software update (which now includes PBS). Our connection is pitifully slow: 5 Mbits/sec max.

Netflix did push out an interface change. But ours works.

Does it work on your web browser?

Robert A. Heinlein

Found the issue.

If your NetFlix profile happens to have an "&" character in it, as in "Paul & Karen" - that is the culprit. Change it to "Paul and Karen" and amazingly, everything will start working.

The NetFlix techs out in California were more than a little irritated, amazed, and confused when they discovered this, and apparently it affect quite a few people. Those us, I suppose, dumb enough to shortcut when typing in a profile name. :)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Found the issue.

If your NetFlix profile happens to have an "&" character in it, as in "Paul & Karen" - that is the culprit. Change it to "Paul and Karen" and amazingly, everything will start working.

The NetFlix techs out in California were more than a little irritated, amazed, and confused when they discovered this, and apparently it affect quite a few people. Those us, I suppose, dumb enough to shortcut when typing in a profile name. :)

-Paul

Amazing how often the equivalent of a typo / untested variation is the root cause of a perceived technical problem. "You're not holding it right. . . "

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

The head netflix dude lives near here. I'll work him over for you if we cross paths. Meanwhile, stick to ascii characters! The hyphen in my wife's last name (O'Bamma) creates all sorts of problems for the Homeland Security state.

O'Dear!

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.