IGNORED

Jumping To Conclusions About System Problems

I updated to the most recent version of JRiver for Mac 19 yesterday. I use my HDTV as a monitor and wireless Apple keyboard and trackpad to control it or I will, and more and more lately, use JR Remote on my iPad. I had been listening with the HDTV on and decided to take my headphones out to the balcony and listen controlling things with JRemote. The moment I turned the monitor off my whole system shutdown, the HDTV, the Mac Mini, my two Lacie HDD, everything, crash, boom, bam. I restarted everything and when the MacMini came up the notice that JRMC had stopped suddenly was on the screen. Okay everything is up. I am listening again and once again turn off the HDTV. Bam! Everything goes down. Man am I upset. Why did I update? I had just gotten everything working so well. I am blaming JRMC. It's getting late and rather than reinstall the last version I decide to wait for the next day and open up iTunes and Audivrana Plus. I grab a glass of wine and decide again to head for the balcony. I turn the HDTV off and yet again everything goes down! What the hell! Now I am really frustrated.

Its been a tough weekend. On Saturday I left to go play golf. When I am done I have two messages from my apartment complex first telling me there is water running over my balcony the second that a disaster recovery team was in my apartment. When I get there what a mess. There had been two inches of water throughout. One of the things most effected was my Panamax power unit that the HDTV, Mac Mini, Satellite box and HDD was covered with water. Not only was it wet but rust showed and it's housing was distorted. I was really worried about my stuff.

Okay, here is where the story gets to the point yesterday because of the problem I went and picked up a Monster power unit. Thank God all my stuff came up and worked but what about that problem. Then I took a look at the box for the Monster unit and it is called "Monster Green Power". It also states "Monster GreenPower outlets automatically switch off to stop stand-by mode energy waste and save money". I had the HDTV, Mac Mini and Dish Network box connected to those ports with the HDTV being in the one labeled "GreenPower Control". I turn that off and everything goes off! Geeeez! Hey the weekend was hard enough without feeling stupid too.

Back to the store I find a discontinued version without all the green stuff that is three times the quality of the other unit for $10 more.

Problem solved. Don't jump to conclusions. It was just a coincidence that I updated JRiver for Mac 19 right after buying the first green power unit.

Thanks for reading my story/rant.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Was the water damage due to your apartment, or a unit above? Hope you are all dried out!

Regards,

Gary

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Was the water damage due to your apartment, or a unit above? Hope you are all dried out!

Regards,

Gary

It was from my unit. A washing machine failure. The lady below me really got the worse of it. I am looking at new carpet and flooring, new floorboards, new washer. I can stay through the inconvenience. She is facing a complete gutting, walls, ceiling, everything.

I have 11 heavy duty blowers and an extraction unit running until late tomorrow.

Frank Zappa

I just moved out of the house and a multi year relationship into this apartment six weeks ago virtually starting over from scratch. At first they told me I would have to move out which seemed like a huge huge deal. The first time was stressful enough. Today they agreed I can stay and they will work with me and I with them to get it done.

Frank Zappa
Deepest regrets about what happened and to your neighbour.

It might be too late, but if the washer isn't already thrown out, one of these might prevent a future occurrence.

The units are owned by the complex but yes that seems as if that would be a wise choice.

Frank Zappa