IGNORED

Mac Mini Set Up Advice?

I should be getting a Mac Mini soon. (I guess we're waiting until the end of October to see if there's going to be an update.)

I've read through a bunch of threads on using the MM. Some are incredibly complex, some straightfoward. So -- Here's what I got:

Music currently stored on MBP/iTunes.

Airport Express (old, flat version)

Apple TV

Optical cable from Apple TV to Peachtree Nova (first gen).

Here's what I'm thinking:

Move music from MPB to MM.

USB connection from MM to Peachtree.

Download either JRiver Mac or Amarra (probably hifi, maybe vinyl) onto MM.

Control music on MM through iPad/iPhone remote.

A few questions.

1) Does that work? I'm not sure I've got the software set up correct.

2) If I rip a CD, I rip on the MBP and then move the file over the network onto the MM?

3) Is there a need (significant benefit) from putting a separate DAC between the MM and the Peachtree? Or is the Peachtree DAC sufficient.

4) Is there a meaningful distinction between JRiver Mac and Amarra? Do they do the same thing?

5) After I do all this, how to I integrate my iPod/iPhone for syncing?

Thanks in advance.

Moosbrugger

Not all the answers by any means, but some thoughts.

If using Jriver for the Mac you would want to use JRemote on your iPad or iPhone rather than Apple's Remote application. Minimal cost, high return, I in fact like it better than Apple's Remote application (YMMV).

If your Mac Mini is available on your network and you choose to rip CDs using a package such as XLD (free) you can point it to a location on your Mac Mini if you share your Mac Mini's Music Folder. Also depending on how large your Music Collection is at some point you may wish to add an external drive, but than again if you have enough space on your Mac Mini, it is not a worry. There are those who believe it is better to store your music external to your computer, I offer no opinion there (mine is in fact external). If you do go external use a connection other than USB to connect to the external hard drive, such as Thunderbolt or Firewire, that will ensure your audio going to your DAC is not sharing the same bus as your music data being retrieved from the external drive (again this is a recommendation may make, again no harm, no foul if you choose otherwise).

A USB connection from your Mac Mini to Peachtree should work fine. Start with basics first, if later you wonder if there is a better DAC to be had you can always demo other DACs.

As to JRIVER versus Amarra, different opinions on sound quality. I would offer, not having heard Amarra that the most significant different to a user (beyond sound quality) is that JRIVER offers its own music management software in lieu of iTunes. I personally prefer the JRIVER implementation, other prefer iTunes. Amarra allows one to either use playlists for music playback or offers integration with your iTunes library.

Both offer free trials so you can certainly try both out before purchasing. There are also users who prefer Audirvana or other music playback software. Again, most have trial periods you can avail yourself of.

As to your last question, how do I integrate my iPod/iPhone for synching, do you mean of your music library between the computer and your Apple devices? If so it easy for those players that leverage iTunes (with or without using their own playlists) which is pretty much any music player other than JRIVER. For the latter, you would need to maintain the music library both within JRIVER and iTunes (which is not as onerous as it sounds but certainly an extra administrative step).

Have fun, keep it simple to start, and enjoy the music.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

USB to Peachtree Nova is limited to 16 bit. You might want to try optical (or USB/coax converter) to get the most of it. You shouldn't have to do anything to the mini. Apart from the USB input, the Peachtree Dac is its best attribute, so if you replace the DAC, you might as well replace the whole thing. I would look at other player options as well. Audirvana and Decibel and BitPerfect are all excellent alternatives.

Thanks. Most of it is CD quality (ALAC) or less. But the new stuff, which is what I listen to more often, I'm downloading hi-res.

USB to Peachtree Nova is limited to 16 bit. You might want to try optical (or USB/coax converter) to get the most of it.

I emailed Peachtree (great idea, huh?). They suggested using the opitcal out on the MM. I can't remember what I've got going into the opticals on the Nova at the moment, but I'll figure that out.

I do find it odd that on the new generation Nova, they put fewer inputs. But I guess most people don't use a two channel amp for things like Tivo and PlayStation.

• 6 months later...

A few more Mac Mini questions, prompted by some recent threads.

If I get the current i5 version with s 500gb hard drive:

1) What is the highest resolution for digital/optical out of the headphone jack? (Is this information anywhere on the Apple site?) Although I think my Peachtree Nova DAC only supports up to 24/96.

2) Can I do an hdmi out to my Samsung tv, and use that as the monitor for set up, downloads and stuff?

3) Am I correct that I can turn the Mini's wifi- on, connect to my network, and use that to download hi-res files and move over ripped CDs? Or should I do a hard-wire connection from my laptop?

4) I thought I've read that the wifi should be turned off for optimal SQ on playback. If so, does the remote connect through bluetooth?

5) If I need more storage, do I get an external drive (firewire? thunderbolt?) and just plug it into the back of the Mini? Would I need to store all of my music on the same drive, or will the Mini be able to handle some files stored on the internal and some on the external?

Moosbrugger: A few more Mac Mini questions, prompted by some recent threads.

1) What is the highest resolution for digital/optical out of the headphone jack? (Is this information anywhere on the Apple site?) Although I think my Peachtree Nova DAC only supports up to 24/96.

i haven't checked recently, but pretty sure the toslink out is 24/96, so you're fine with that. I can say that with my DAC the toslink sounded great (but I've been lulled into higher rates via A+ up sampling filters)

2) Can I do an hdmi out to my Samsung tv, and use that as the monitor for set up, downloads and stuff?

yes, absolutely. Just what i do. Set the monitor to dot by dot or whatever Samsung calls 1:1 pixel ratio.

3) Am I correct that I can turn the Mini's wifi- on, connect to my network, and use that to download hi-res files and move over ripped CDs? Or should I do a hard-wire connection from my laptop?

Yes. But for best sound, you could run off your hardwired laptop, and even better, run the mini headless, using the laptop and screen sharing.

4) I thought I've read that the wifi should be turned off for optimal SQ on playback. If so, does the remote connect through bluetooth?

i believe the little remote is either rf or IR. I haven't ever used it. You should try playback with wifi on and off, and see how much of a difference it makes in your system.

5) If I need more storage, do I get an external drive (firewire? thunderbolt?) and just plug it into the back of the Mini? Would I need to store all of my music on the same drive, or will the Mini be able to handle some files stored on the internal and some on the external?

if you're using iTunes, and want the library to function best, I think that you need all the files (or at least proxies of the files) located in whatever folder you set up in iTunes as your music folder. Thunderbolt would be preferred, especially if you end up with a USB DAC. (No FireWire on current mini). Make sure to get a drive that can accept its own power supply, and use it, rather that bus powering.

Just to add to the above.

1) 24/96. My nova sometimes has trouble locking onto the the 96kHz optical signal, using either of the optical inputs.

2) Works fine with my Samsung TV, just set it to 1080p (the default option).

3) I've used wifi and ethernet and to my ears it makes no difference.

4) The remote is IR. I use both wifi and bluetooth with no ill effects, FWIW.

5) same as above.

A few more Mac Mini questions, prompted by some recent threads.

I far as I know the internal DAC will only drive the headphones output to 24/96K, and the same is true of the optical output. That would drive the Nova directly of course, or you can purchase a USB 2 S/PDIF converter. What I would do is feed the Peachtree from a better DAC myself. :)

WiFi is a contentious subject. I do not hear any difference with WiFi on or off, but I sure do with bluetooth enabled- I keep Bluetooth turned off unless I am setting up the system. As suggested, I use my laptop to gain a remote desktop to the Mac, and manage it that way. I don't have to do that often.

I share the main music folders from the hard drives to the network, so when I RIP new CDs, I rip them on my laptop put store the files immediately in the right place on the main music drive. Easy peasy.

External drives are the way to go with music storage. Very easy to copy the data from one drive to another and thus have a ready to run backup anytime you might need it.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Thanks everyone.

My main goal in getting a mini is so I no longer have to stream from my laptop through my Apple TV to the Peachtree.

I understand that the DAC on the Peachtree is pretty good, and for now I don't have money for a new DAC, so I'll stick with what I've got.

I guess I could run a USB from the Mini to the Peachtree, but I thought optical was preferred?

I can play around with the Mini wifi on/off and see if I hear a difference. (Although the Mini will be sitting pretty close to my router, so maybe I can just hardwire it to the network. (By the way -- my airport extreme is the old, flat model. Any great need to upgrade to the new tall one? Is there a better, less expensive non-Apple router that will do the same stuff?)

From what Pooger wrote above, I should be able to do split screen on my laptop and control the Mini directly from the laptop? Is this complicated?

Is there anything new in Ethernet cables? If I'm going to connect the Mini to my (old, flat) Airport Extreme, can I just grab one of the Ethernet cables I've got sitting in my Big Box of Old Electric Stuff That I Should Probably Throw Away? Or is there something new on Ethernet cables (perhaps the plug)?

What's the best way to copy 300 gb of music files from my laptop to the new Mini?

Is there anything new in Ethernet cables? If I'm going to connect the Mini to my (old, flat) Airport Extreme, can I just grab one of the Ethernet cables I've got sitting in my Big Box of Old Electric Stuff That I Should Probably Throw Away? Or is there something new on Ethernet cables (perhaps the plug)?

What's the best way to copy 300 gb of music files from my laptop to the new Mini?

If it's a short ethernet run, CAT 5 will be fine. If you wanted to go all out, (short of audiophile ethernet cables...) you could go with a bonded CAT 6 cable. Belden makes the wire, but I'm not sure if they make cables with it. I think Blue Jeans cables does though.

You've got a few options on the 300 Gb copying. If it's fro a Mac, you could set it up as a firewire "drive" and transfer files that way. If you don't have a back up (and yu should...) it's time to get a back up drive, and copy the files onto that, and then copythem onto your Mini.

I still use the older Airport Extreme and it's doing a fine job.

The files are currently on my Macbook pro. Could I just connect a firewire cable between the two and drag the music folders over to the mini?

On the other hand, I back up the laptop to an external WD drive, using Carbon Copy Cloner. Should I be able to easily restore the back-up music files onto the Mini? I don't think I have room on the WD drive to put on a new copy of the music files and them move them.

The files are currently on my Macbook pro. Could I just connect a firewire cable between the two and drag the music folders over to the mini?

Almost! Hook up both computers with a firewire cable. Go to the startup disk control panel on the MBP, and select "Target disc mode" and restart the MBP. It now looks like a hard drive to the attached computer—just drag the files you want over from there. When you're done, turn the MBP off, and restart it; it will be back to normal. I wish Apple were still thinking along such practical lines.

Thanks for all the help in this thread. I just purchased a MM and am trying to figure out how to hook up a monitor to the MM OR go headless. Here are my choices

1. I have a DVI monitor. I can purchased a DVI cable which terminates into an HDMI so I would plug the monitor into the HDMI port on the MM.

2. I could use the HDMI coming from my Samsung TV and directly plug the HDMI out from the TV into the HDMI into the MM. Or go from TV to AVR to MM via HDMI. But I have heard of a lot of problems with screen issues?

3. I could buy a MDP/DVI adapter and plug the monitor into the back of my Drobo 5D thunderbolt port. The Drobo would be plugged into the TB on the MM.

4. Go remote? Like Screens for mac? LogmeIn? Remote desktop?

Are there any other combinations? Any other headless possibities?

Does the HDMI MM to TV still have issues?

Thanks

Joe