IGNORED

Anton Bruckner

The traditional recommendations for Bruckner 7 include Karajan, Wand (with NDR or Berlin), and Jochum (both the EMI and DG recordings).

Any comments on Takashi Asahina and the Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra? Or have I missed the boat on that one? It's OK, I can take it.?

Enjoy the music,

Richard

xrcd24

Takashi Asahina conducts the Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra for this performance of Bruckner's Seventh Symphony recorded live on September 12, 1983 at St. Mary's Cathedral in Tokyo. For some, Takashi Asahina was "the Karajan of Japan;" for others, his eminence was derived at least in part from his being the oldest conductor on the international scene; for others yet, he was quite simply an excellent musician, with a special sympathy for the classics of the Austro-German repertoire.

image.jpg

The traditional recommendations for Bruckner 7 include Karajan, Wand (with NDR or Berlin), and Jochum (both the EMI and DG recordings).

Any comments on Takashi Asahina and the Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra? Or have I missed the boat on that one? It's OK, I can take it.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

xrcd24

Takashi Asahina conducts the Osaka Philharmonic Orchestra for this performance of Bruckner's Seventh Symphony recorded live on September 12, 1983 at St. Mary's Cathedral in Tokyo. For some, Takashi Asahina was "the Karajan of Japan;" for others, his eminence was derived at least in part from his being the oldest conductor on the international scene; for others yet, he was quite simply an excellent musician, with a special sympathy for the classics of the Austro-German repertoire.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8352[/ATTACH]

Not from my side, I've never heard this recording. Sounds interesting though.

Not from my side, I've never heard this recording. Sounds interesting though.

Should you have the occasion, I would be interested to learn of your assessment as you have long ago demonstrated excellent taste in music for us all to benefit.

Best,

Richard

Is there any YouTube etc around?

By the way, forgot to mention above the excellent Klemperer/Philharmonia recording.

I really like the Suitner/Staatskapelle Berlin from 1980 but the sound isn't as good as I'd like. There are a number of the newest (HD/mch) recordings rated very highly on SA-CD.net but there's one coming from Fischer/BFO that really sings. To be released in Jan 2014, I believe.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

I was also going to suggest the Klemperer Philharmonia Orch recording on EMI Columbia SAX vinyl. I learned this piece with the Bruno Walter Columbia Symphony recording on Columbia records. Both the Klemperer and Walter recordings are around 50 years old, near the beginning of stereo. Don't know whether they have been digitized.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

You might want to consider the Bruno Walter on Columbia/Sony. It's still my favorite and the SQ is excellent despite being nearly as old as I am. But be warned: You are likely to pick up several versions. The Karajan is excellent. Both are easy to find on CD.

2012 MacMini 8G ram -> Audirvana + 3.0 -> Mcintosh MHA 100> Nordost > Audeze LCD X

In addition to the 7th, the 4th is most popular. Klemperer is a good choice. We heard the 6th at the Proms at Royal Albert Hall in 2012. Very moving. Again Klemperer has a fine version. I don't keep up with the newer (CD era and later) stuff.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Why would it? I certainly hope not. But feel free to check with Chris.

Well, some other forums I've visited can be very quirky with their rules. I was surprised not to find more dedicated threads when I've searched for specific composers/artists. I thought their might have been a consensus to only address specific albums in the bottom forum.

I'd really appreciate the collective opinions/wisdom on various composers, their works and specific recordings, so I may start some threads on them.

Moosbrugger

Well, some other forums I've visited can be very quirky with their rules. I was surprised not to find more dedicated threads when I've searched for specific composers/artists. I thought their might have been a consensus to only address specific albums in the bottom forum.

I'd really appreciate the collective opinions/wisdom on various composers, their works and specific recordings, so I may start some threads on them.

Moosbrugger

I think the simple reason for the lack of more dedicated threads is twofold: a) there are not that many classical music listeners here, there is more of Jazz and classic rock, and b) there are already other dedicated classical music forums out there.

However, non of the above would be an argument against dedicated threads here and I'd be happy to contribute.

As an additional benefit most classical music listeners I know don't care a lot about sound quality nor computer audio, so this site would be the additional benefit that we could discuss different recordings not only on musical merits, but also from a sound quality point of view, including potential new high res versions.

The latter point is kind of why I'm interested in the opinions of people here. Since I'm interested in expanding my collection, advice on particular recording is very helpful. Also, I do read some other classical forums (and jazz). But I often find it easier for me if there is a small group of people posting on specific topics, rather than wading through large amounts of information that is all over the place.

Oh -- Are the recommendations above hi-res downloads or CDs?

Unfortunately mine are mainly redbook. The Wand Berlin cycle at some point was available on SACD from RCA; so a re-release as a Sony DSD download is a possibility.

The availability of good Bruckner in high-res is still very limited, I haven't seen any recordings so far I'd be tempted to buy.