IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

19 hours ago, bmoura said:

exaSound does offer a Mini XLR output for their 8 channel DACs.  That's how my e28 exaSound DAC was configured.

Works fine in balanced mode.

Yes, I noticed/mentioned this but it appears that the option is being advertised as "limited edition/distribution" or something to that effect. I was just curious why they've gone this route compared to the norm of offering XLR as default vs Line Level especially considering the guts of the box are said to fully balanced.

Interesting approach, that's all

41 minutes ago, cjf said:

Lots of room correction in a big room, hard to drive speakers and a smallish amp with 26db of gain..etc.etc

"All" dac don't offer more output than the exasound.

I have used exasound with In-line Marachino (Digital Amplifier) and that amp have gain of 22db. It's a low gain ...

No problem to have my listening level and I had extra. I never had to put the dac at 0dB but I understand I not had 30dB extra! 8-)

https://www.cherryamp.com/ilm-specs

When you do a filter (DRC), if you have more than 8dB reduction, you should revisit your filters.

Most people need more than one input and want to have physical volume control to protect.

In that case, the output level is not a problem when you choosing the right preamp for your amp.

I prefer full size XLR too ... but require a new case.

If not enough "xlr" sold, it's hard to justify the expanse probably.

35 minutes ago, Kal Rubinson said:

Not necessarily.

To drive long lines without additional amplification stages.

It's not a touring dac! 8-)

My motu 1248 have trim for this reason (to drive long lines).

The problem with the motu, I have to put the trim -12 to -24 unless it's too loud and I don't want to use the digital volume control too low.

When doing a sweep, it's freaking because the motu don't have volume on it ... I have to rely on the software volume (I don't trust them).

I like exasound for it's volume control on it. It's security!

For those of you that have difficulties to find female mini-XLR - male XLR cables, I've just order a bunch here for my E28 https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/index.html

Mini-XLR is not listed but if you put them an email they can do it, at custom length. Mine are Mogami 2534 and 70cm long. Price is fair for custom cables at around 30$/cable incl. shipping.I usually solder my cables but mini-XLR is tricky, I am glad they did it :)

On 11/30/2019 at 10:55 PM, pompon said:

I just ordered the e38mk2, I will be able to compare with my E28.

I have done 3 quick A/B to have a general idea.

E38 have 0 burn-in while my E28 have a tons of hrs on it.

Both unit have mini-xlr output.

I listen both them with Sigma streamer connected to Roon.

I am using wireworld starlight platinum USB cable between sigma and E28/E38. While I have this cable, I am using it. 😉

The supply i am using is my uptone js-2 while my Teddy seem to be in road trip ... (it was at 3 hrs from my home few days ago for process item and now it is in another province again for item process ... lol).

The E38 puts a little less emphasis on the details than the E28. 
The sound is a little more fluid. 
Soundstage is quite similar but bloom little more on the E28 because 
of the extra highs details/(apparent level).
1 hour ago, pompon said:

Linn kazoo, jriver and roon ...

jriver or roon seem on par for the sound.

kazoo is winner with much more details ... i do not understand.

I agree.  Every time I decide to give Roon another chance I end up going back to simple UPnP / Kazoo.  Can't explain it, just know what I hear.  I probably won't re-up for Roon next time around...

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

I tried fidelizer on my computer running kazoo server, jriver and roon and same result.

Soundstage is "same". What I hear is highs perception better with Kazoo. That give better dynamic with more highs.

I need Roon for Tidal / DSP / PLay local library (4tb of music) / Internet radio.

Without DSP, I can't use my 4 way open baffle because DSP do my filters.

With J-River, I can't play Tidal and using WDM driver with J-river not working fine with Tidal. I miss 10-15 sec of the beginning of the songs.

Audirvana do local library + tidal but no dsp ...

23 minutes ago, pompon said:

Kazoo winner, audirvana, jriver/roon last.

Based on my experience, I kinda agree - although I haven’t spent a huge amount of time with Audirvana, I use it mostly for streaming Tidal.

exaSound PlayPoint DM MkII with Uptone Audio JS-2 power supply; Horn Shoppe The Truth preamp; Coincident Frankenstein MkII mono blocs (mid/tweeter) and Dragon 211b mono blocs (woofers); Coincident Pure Reference Extreme MkII loudspeakers; Coincident cabling throughout...Analogue: Jean Nantais Ultimate Lenco turntable with Durand Kairos arm, Benz-Micro LPS cartridge; Coincident Statement phono stage

I tested tonight Roon with HQPlayer and it's better to Kazoo.

It's easy to switch between the Sigma (roon -> sigma) and HQPLayer (roon -> hqplayer -> sigma) with the roon remote.

I took in hqplayer :

Backend : NetworkAudioPlayer IPv6

Device : exasound

Default output move : PCM

Filter 1x : Poly-sinc-short-mp

filter Nx: Poly-sinc-lp

dither : TPDF

Sample rate : 384k

I have no idea what is the ideal setting with exasound. I guess it's depend the dac details, acoustic, loudspeaker ...

I suspect Linn Kazoo doing a kind of filter on bits.

Finally my Teddy supply at home !

Unboxed Teddy Pardo supply

19122002223822427416566161.jpg

VERY well packaged

19122002223822427416566162.jpg

This cable is tiny ... and flexible.

19122002223922427416566163.jpg

Here the teddy with E28 (my E38mk2 was in another tablet)

They sit on linn klimax solo

19122002223922427416566164.jpg

I will do a little burn-in before do audition and compare to uptone js-2.

I have done 7-8 A/B between Teddy Pardo and Uptone js-2 power supply on my E38mk2 Exasound.

I was using the same power cord each time.

JS-2 reproduces music in a more relaxed way. The dynamic seem a bit restrained and highs can be sharper. The soundstage height/width/depth seem on-par with Teddy.

Teddy reproduce the music in more exciting way with sharper details and more explosive attacks. When I am posing my attention on the back of the soundstage, I have more facility to pick some details and follow them.

I have to evaluate if I am loosing something to the JS-2.

My E38 have now a full week burn-in ...

I don't think the sound have changed with burn-in ... if yes, then it's subtle.

E28 have a more diffuse presentation to the E38mk2. I don't call that necessary better or worst for the moment. That characteristic took all my attention in the 3-4 A/B I have done.

I will have time to do more test after holiday!

• 3 weeks later...

I'd put my money on the JS-2! I'm stating this as a previous owner of TP power supply, btw!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

Again tonight, somes A/B between E28mk2 and E38mk2.

E28: Instruments and sounds have less focus to the E38. I had impression E28 filling 
more my room with music but it's just an impression because they are less precisely located 
in space.

I think E38 have little less output to E28. Tonight, I gave 0.5dB more on the E38 when switching.

This way, I no longer have the impression that the sound stage is smaller.

I consider E28 just a bit under E38 overall.