IGNORED

exaSound e18 - e20 - e28 - Info and Experiences Post All Here

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, exa said:

We've been working on the e38 to make it with the same number of paralleled DAC channels as the e32. It is now official - exaSound has just released Mark II upgrade of the 8-channel e38 DAC...

Is there a way to upgrade an existing e38 to a mk II?

50 minutes ago, exa said:

We've been working on the e38 to make it with the same number of paralleled DAC channels as the e32. It is now official - exaSound has just released Mark II upgrade of the 8-channel e38 DAC.

Notable improvements include:

•  

New DAC chip - the ESS flagship ES9038PRO increases 4 times the number of internal paralleled DAC channels
  •  

Redesigned reference voltage sources and master clock power circuits 
  •  

Refined analogue output stages built with components with superb linearity and enhanced power lines
  • Redesigned main board topology offers reduced electromagnetic interference and reduced channel cross-talk

https://www.exasound.com/e38/e38DACOverview.aspx

exaSound-e38-Mark-II-598.png

Very cool!  I'm sure exaSound e38 owners will be interested in the trade-in option.  

7 hours ago, exa said:

We've been working on the e38 to make it with the same number of paralleled DAC channels as the e32. It is now official - exaSound has just released Mark II upgrade of the 8-channel e38 DAC.

That's exciting news. Thanks.

Do you mean, 4 DAC chip output channels are connected for stereo use and discrete when 8-ch use? And how to switch between those modes?

UbuntuFileServer > CAPS like Music Server + WS2012 R2 Core Mode + Jriver MC21 + HDplex 100W LPS > exaSound e28 > power amp.
  • 4 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Robert van Diggele said:

George, the HDMI1 in the back is to connect a monitor. This is only to display the menu screens or is it also possible to route video thtough the Gamma?

At this time the main purpose of the HDMI out is to display the setup screens. The Roon Core can use it as an audio output zone. Roon can also display information about the current playback. Routing video through the Gamma is not possible. We've made it as an audio-only device.

As a satisfied user of an exaSound e12 DAC since 2015, I'm curious as to the differences between the Gamma and Sigma servers. Some questions:

(1) Do both devices use off-the-shelf standard PC motherboards and processors?

(2) Is the operating system for either or both Roon ROCK? The Gamma description says "exaSound-built lightweight operating system optimized for Hi-Res audio."

(3) What are the advantages of using an exaSounnd streamer/server with an exaSound DAC?

(4) What are the differences between the two units?

(5) Can these devices be installed and run "headlessly" using MS Remote Desktop?

(1) Do both devices use off-the-shelf standard PC motherboards and processors?

Yes. Since we deploy USB power conditioning and Galvanic isolation in all of our DACs, there is no need for custom computer hardware.  In our opinion the noise and jitter problems cannot be resolved adequately on the computer side. They need to be solved on the DAC side of the USB cable.

(2) Is the operating system for either or both Roon ROCK? The Gamma description says "exaSound-built lightweight operating system optimized for Hi-Res audio."

We don't use Roon Rock. All of our streamers and servers, the PlayPoints, the Gamma and the Sigma are powered by our own in-house developed Linux build.  It is similar to other audio-optimized versions of Linux, except it is made for use with exaSound DACs.  It makes possible all the custom features of our drivers. One advantage that we have over Roon Rock is the support for additional audio streaming standards.

(3) What are the advantages of using an exaSounnd streamer/server with an exaSound DAC?

They are optimized for use with exaSound DAC. They make possible the custom packet streaming over USB, error correction over USB, multi-way volume synchronization etc.

(4) What are the differences between the two units?

The Gamma is a server, it has the power to run Roon Core.  It also provides all the functionality of the Sigma.  If you can connect your DAC via USB to the Gamma, you don't need the Sigma.

The Sigma is a cost-optimized  device that can support all the functionality and the uncompromized sonic fidelity of our DACs.  It can be used with the Gamma, the Roon Nucleus or any third-party Roon or UPnP server.  It works with HQPlater and Airplay. Besides  streaming it has the power to run a UPnP server.  It can be used with the Gamma Server if you need multiple zones or your server is too far from the DAC and USB connection is not practical.

(5) Can these devices be installed and run "headlessly" using MS Remote Desktop? 

Gamma and Sigma are headless devices. They have their own web user interface, or web pages. You don't need a remote desktop app to control them.  The settings can be changed remotely with a Web browser.  What if you decide to use a static IP and you enter wrong network settings? Network connectivity will be lost. There is an emergency exit.  You can connect a mouse, keyboard and monitor to them and you will see the same user interface to fix the settings.

Finally I need to mention that exaSound Gamma and Sigma will work with third-party DACs.  We emphasize on the use of exaSound DACs because of the special integration. We don't have the resources to test the availability of features with all third-party DACs, however we can do it on request.  

On 3/7/2019 at 5:33 PM, exa said:

Thank you, Brian.  We will be showing the e38 Mark II at the AXPONA show in April.  We will have a multichannel room.

Should be a good demo at AXPONA

Blog-Header-AXPONA-Preview1.thumb.jpg.aadba543905cb450a04908b5bf230b80.jpg

Multichannel for Audiophiles
During AXPONA 2019 in Suite 658

Presentations by: George Klissarov (exaSound) & Ted Brady (NativeDSD Music)
in collaboration with Magnepan and Parasound

exaSound and NativeDSD, in a Multichannel showroom setup, will excite you with a flood of 3D spatial cues, stunning detail, and immersive realism. What better way to demonstrate what it can do than selections from NativeDSD Music? Selected by NativeDSD Managing Director Jared Sacks and demonstrated by Technical Advisor Ted Brady in partnership with exaSound’s George Klissarov.

“Creating a life-like multichannel music presentation requires the alignment of all elements of the sound-processing chain, from the recording studio microphones to the playback equipment in the listening room. exaSound and NativeDSD have teamed up with Magnepan and Parasound to build a showroom around shared philosophy and design principles – simple and short signal path, minimal processing and aim for natural, dynamic and detailed sound.” – George Klissarov

exaSound will be unveiling 3 new products and will be demonstrating them in a multichannel setup:
-exaSound e38 Mark II 8-channel DAC – an upgrade of the e38 DAC – Stereophile Recommended Class A+ component
-exaSound Gamma Music Server – offering the best proprietary and open-source digital audio technologies in one compact component
-exaSound Sigma Streamer
Amplification: Parasound A51 5-channel power amplifier
Speakers: Front – Magnepan 3.7i Rear – Magnepan 1.7i

The DSD Music in Suite 658: Some of the top-selling Multichannel DSD recordings at the NativeDSD Music store from LSO Live, Cobra Records, IsoMike, Channel Classics, Groove Note Records, Challenge Jazz, 2L, Yarlung Records, Sketti Sandwich Productions, Aliud Records and Just Listen Records are available in Suite 658 for the demonstrations in full 5 channel DSD sonics.

DSD Multichannel Demo Sessions - Days and Times
• Friday – April 12, 2019 at 11:30 am
• Friday – April 12, 2019 at 4:30 pm
• Saturday – April 13, 2019 at 11:00 am
• Saturday – April 13, 2019 at 4:00 pm

http://blog.nativedsd.com/axpona-preview/

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder what's on the mind of an exaSound Playpoint MkII owner when he sees that the streamer he has just bought a couple of months ago doesn't exist anymore - not even on a discontinued list on the official exaSound site. I also wonder when is the new e32 Mk III coming out... Maybe tomorrow, maybe the day after tomorrow... That means that in 6 days e32 Mk IV will be launched... So the e42 Mk I will be launched in about 3 weeks from now!

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

27 minutes ago, johndoe21ro said:

I wonder what's on the mind of an exaSound Playpoint MkII owner when he sees that the streamer he has just bought a couple of months ago doesn't exist anymore...

That is painful for us as well. The memory chips used by PlayPoint Mark II were discontinued by Samsung.  We had to come up with a new model ahead of schedule.  

We will introduce a page on our website for discontinued products. 

e32 was introduced on Oct 28, 2016;  e32 Mark II - on June 12, 2018

e38 was also unveiled on  Oct 28, 2016, e38 Mark II - on March 6, 2019

Both Mark II models required extensive design and development work.

A couple more questions about the exaSound Sigma streamer:

1.  Can the device be turned on and shut down by turning off a power strip or conditioner it's plugged into? 

2.  Is there any sound quality improvement to be had using a linear power supply, a USB regenerator, or an "audiophile" USB cable with the Sigma streamer and an exaSound DAC?

3. Is the Sigma streamer optimized to work with the apparently discontinued exaSound e12 DAC?

4.  Is processor in the Sigma powerful enough to support Roon's digital signal processing functions?

28 minutes ago, John G said:

A couple more questions about the exaSound Sigma streamer:

1.  Can the device be turned on and shut down by turning off a power strip or conditioner it's plugged into? 

No. You need to power it on and off from the power button. Sigma Streamer is designed to recover from accidental power down conditions, however this is not the normal way to use it.

2.  Is there any sound quality improvement to be had using a linear power supply, a USB regenerator, or an "audiophile" USB cable with the Sigma streamer and an exaSound DAC?

No, your exaSound e12 DAC has all of the necessary USB noise isolation built-in.

3. Is the Sigma streamer optimized to work with the apparently discontinued exaSound e12 DAC?

Yes! The e12 has the same USB subsystem as the e22. In fact everything inside the e12 is identical to the corresponding parts of the e22. 

4.  Is processor in the Sigma powerful enough to support Roon's digital signal processing functions?

Roon's digital signal processing takes place on the hardware where Roon Core is installed. Sigma Streamer receives the processed audio stream and plays it. This is not a CPU-intensive task.

Generally speaking what's the difference between Playpoint MkII and Sigma Streamer? 

Triangle Magellan Concerto 2 < AQ Everest < Vitus Audio SS-010 Mk2 < AQ Dragon High Current < AQ WEL XLR < Chord Qutest DAC w UpTone JS-2 & AQ Dragon Source < AQ Diamond USB < Innuos Phoenix USB w AQ Dragon Source < Aurender N100H & AQ Dragon Source < NetGear GS105GE Switch w UpTone LPS1.2 < Supra CAT8 Ethernet < Gryphon PowerZone w AQ NRG-Wild < Stillpoints UltraSS, Ansuz Darkz D-TC & D2, Omicron Harmonic Stabilizer, Gold Evolution SE & Classic < Furutech FT-SWS (R) < Synergistic Research Orange Quantum Fuse < Solid Tech Hybrid < GigaWatt G-16A 2P Circuit Breaker

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Automated CD Ripping is now available on all exaSound streamers and music servers with the free Firmware Update 23.  The new feature is designed for the exaSound Gamma Server, however it can be used with external USB drive on all PlayPoints and even with the Sigma Streamer.

External USB CD-ROM drive is required.  Powered USB hub can be used if there are no free USB ports.  CD Ripping is enabled from the web user interface in Manual or Autostart modes. 

CD data is retrieved with very high accuracy and stored on internal or attached USB drive.  Metadata - album title, artist and track names are downloaded from the CDDB database. 

For superior user experience and the best metadata accuracy automated CD ripping should be used with Roon. Roon's cloud-based  intelligent library management service corrects and enhances the CD metadata and also allows for manual metadata editing.      

Firmware Update 23 also brings enhanced remote support and remote diagnostic features.  

• 3 weeks later...

e38 Mark II in Stereo 4-way Digital Crossover / Room Correction Setup

A letter form a customer about his experience with the e38 Mark II DAC:

"I was able to play around with e38 MKII incl. the Teddy power supply today and must say it is fantastic.

I am using DIY 4-way fully active dipoles in a stereo setup without any baffles: 21 inch woofer from 18Sound, 6,5 inch Seas woven polymer cone mid-bass, the legendary Fostex FS 21 midrange and the matching Fostex F7 tweeter as a dipole without the horn and back cover. Music is streaming only via the latest version of JRiver and all active filtering and EQ-ing is done with Acourate and linear phase filters.

I am mentioning this because with my previous multi-DAC setup (really not cheap stuff either) I had noise and humble problems at low levels because of the high amount of equalization applied to the bass and mid-bass drivers since they are just mounted on a few beam supports without any baffles as mentioned above. All noise is gone with the e38.

My fear was that it would sound less lively (the system sounds pretty much like a horn speaker without the harmonic distortions) or less smooth, or less detailed (the Fostexes resolution is amazing also by today's standards) compared to my previous equipment but this is not at all the case. Pretty amazing since I traded 4 stereo DACs and a special 8-channel sound card into just one little box plus power supply.

Besides the sound I really enjoy the usability of the e38 MKII: I can measure via Acourate and a studio USB sound-card and route the sweep signals via JRiver straight into the e38MKII which means my measurement path is exactly like my audio pass. This is very convenient since I don't need to re-wire any equipment between measuring or listening to music. Furthermore the volume plug-in is a nice feature since it helps to avoid measurements at unintended levels because of different volume settings in different equipment or software.

I did have some trouble setting up JRiver as an ASIO device in Acourate but this was related to the 8-channel card in my PC and not to the e38MKII. exaSound's customer support provided me with help in a very professional and skilled manner. All in all I would say the e38MKII together with the Teddy power supply is the best choice for fully active speaker setups with crossovers and filters running in real-time on a PC. It's cool to watch 8 channels being convolved at 384 kHz with 32 Bit resolution. This is a quality level (maybe a bit exaggerated to some) that is very difficult to obtain and match with passive speakers.

Thanks again for the outstanding support!"
1 hour ago, exa said:

e38 Mark II in Stereo 4-way Digital Crossover / Room Correction Setup

A letter form a customer about his experience with the e38 Mark II DAC:

Good to read someone else is enjoying a stereo 4 way active system with Exasound multichannel DAC. My configuration:

- 4 way full dipole open baffle

- woofer 1 (bottom) Eminence Alpha 15A: 0-120Hz minimum phase

- woofer 2 (top) :Eminence Alpha 15 A: 0-250Hz linear phase + phase rotation of 120Hz minimum phase filter

- mid : PHL 2520 200Hz-1500Hz linear phase

- Highs : AMT ESS V2 1500Hz-20000Hz

Active filters designed in Rephase, implemented in Roon. All measurements (sweeps) made through Roon with REW and UMIK-1

Room correction : either REW EQ or HomeAudioFidelity, convolution filters implemented in Roon - before active filtering of course.

Exasound E28 balanced DAC plugged into Roon Server - a Windows 10, 5 years old Intel NUC . Not so powerful but I can manage 192KHz 8 channel streaming, except on DSD material 96 kHz. Software volume control via Roon.

I have just finished the assembly and still need to fine tune cables and DSP parameters, but so far the results are beyond my expectations. The E28 is to be praised for:

- absolute neutrality

- exceptionally low noise floor : at 0dB and plugged into +26dB gain amplifier on ~100dB efficiency speakers : no hiss.

- no clicks or pops, automatic power on/power off 

Well done Exasound !