IGNORED

Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3, Organ Symphony

I'm hoping for some help here. My wife and I went down to hear the Grant Park Orchestra tonight here in Chicago. They were led by Swiss conductor Thierry Fischer and played three pieces, the last of which was Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3, Organ Symphony and it was absolutely stunning. It's truly amazing that they play all summer long and it's free. It was a beautiful summer night and a fantastic concert. (I do have to say, it's the first concert that I've been to that was interrupted, at least for my wife and I and those around us, by a pair of Peregrine falcons chasing each other around above the lawn, fairly low and they were raising hell. :) They didn't hang around too long though.) Does anyone have a recommendation for this piece? I would prefer something I could download. I don't do DSD, but PCM up to 24/96 would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

MacBook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Audez\'e LCD-2[br]Macbook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Emotiva UPA-2 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1\'s

kicN regnaD is fulsome in his praise for A Hi-Fi Spectacular - Boston Symphony, Charles Munch (24/88 or 24/176 from HDTracks.com) , which includes the Saint-Saëns #3. He and acousticsguru discuss it and some other versions here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/high-resolution-downloads-die-%85-15849/index6.html#post239000.

I have a Redbook rip of Daniel Barenboim/Chicago Symphony doing it and can recommend that, but if you are looking for a download and a high res one at that, the Munch may be the way to go. Here is the link to it at HDTracks: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD886443852754

Have you seen "Babe" (the movie)? The Saint-Saëns #3 figures prominently in it.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein

kicN regnaD is fulsome in his praise for A Hi-Fi Spectacular - Boston Symphony, Charles Munch (24/88 or 24/176 from HDTracks.com) , which includes the Saint-Saëns #3. He and acousticsguru discuss it and some other versions here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-audiophile-downloads/high-resolution-downloads-die-%85-15849/index6.html#post239000.

I have a Redbook rip of Daniel Barenboim/Chicago Symphony doing it and can recommend that, but if you are looking for a download and a high res one at that, the Munch may be the way to go. Here is the link to it at HDTracks: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD886443852754

Thanks for the suggestions. I did think of the downloads to die for thread, but apparently missed the BSO suggestion. And yes, I saw Babe, but it was a long time ago and I don't remember the music. I'll have to watch it again!

MacBook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Audez\'e LCD-2[br]Macbook Pro (2011) -> PureMusic 1.8 -> USB -> Burson Audio HA-160D -> Emotiva UPA-2 -> Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1\'s

Thanks Musicophile! I will have to check it out.

Alternatively, look out for the old Paul Paray Mercury Living Presence recording.

I wholeheartedly second Musicophile's recommendation for Paray. Saint-Saens Organ Symphony is a personal favourite; I have many versions, and Paray's is my preferred one. It is available fairly cheaply from Qobuz here. MW Chung recorded what could have been the best version with the Orchestra of the Paris Opera in the early 1990s (with Deutsche Grammophon) but unfortunately the organ is underwhelming.

I never heard Bernstein's nor Barenboim's versions: this thread will cost me two purchases...

Damn these threads. I was perfectly happy with my Barenboim. Now I'm going to have to get a copy of the Paray to see what all the fuss is about. At least Qobuz has it on sale for €6.99 at the moment.

- Einstein

Damn these threads. I was perfectly happy with my Barenboim. Now I'm going to have to get a copy of the Paray to see what all the fuss is about. At least Qobuz has it on sale for €6.99 at the moment.

LOL Thanks for the recommendations. I'm listening to the Paray right now, lovely!

By the way, I noticed the Paray album is also available as part of this 6h virtual box, that has many interesting discoveries in it:

Presto Classical - Paray conducts French Orchestral Music - Mercury Living Presence: 4756268

And just for the record, I've just listened again to Paray, who is really really good, but Lenny with his extreme length (22:20 Bernstein vs. 19:34 Paray for the first movement) remains my personal favorite.

+1 for Philladelphia SACD, really amazing sound quality. But the Munch is the go to recording for this piece. By the way if you like that big sound recommend listening Mahler Symphony #2 and 8. They will blow your mind.

Enjoy

Ismael

I agree with the Munch and BSO. When I was in college, way back in the mid-60's I attended a BSO concert with Munch conducting and Berj Zamkochian who plays the organ on the record album playing the Symphony Hall organ in the Saint-Saens. What an experience. By then Leinsdorf was the regular conductor, but Munch, his predecessor would occasionally guest conduct.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

This one with Fremaux is better than the Munch, IMO: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Sa%C3%ABns-Organ-Symphony-Carnival-Animals/dp/B000MCIB5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374746232&sr=8-1&keywords=saint+saens+3+fremaux

I have only compared the Redbook version of the Munch, but the Fremaux is better recorded. Natural sound and ultradynamic - EMI at its best.

All best,

Jens

i5 Macbook Pro running Roon -> Uptone Etherregen -> custom-built Win10 PC serving as endpoint, with separate LPUs for mobo and a filtering digiboard (DIY) -> Audio Note DAC 5ish (a heavily modded 3.1X Bal) -> AN Kit One, heavily modded with silver wiring and Black Gates -> AN E-SPx Alnico on Townshend speaker bars. Vicoustic and GIK treatment.

Careful what you wish for. [ATTACH=CONFIG]6635[/ATTACH]

HAH! LOL No kidding. I asked here because I knew how many serious classical fans post here, so I guess I knew, or should have known, what I was in for. :)

Fremaux recording is great also. On vinyl, the original has incredible room shaking bass. The original is EMI TWO 404, the TWO series was EMI's answer to the Decca Phase Four. It was reissued first on EMI ESD7038 which is also very fine and easier to find. HP had the record (as I remember both or at least the ESD7038) as one of his The Absolute Sound Super Discs.

Larry

This one with Fremaux is better than the Munch, IMO: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Saint-Sa%C3%ABns-Organ-Symphony-Carnival-Animals/dp/B000MCIB5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374746232&sr=8-1&keywords=saint+saens+3+fremaux

I have only compared the Redbook version of the Munch, but the Fremaux is better recorded. Natural sound and ultradynamic - EMI at its best.

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I'm just rediscovering this, that I have in a larger Karajan box:

Amazon.com: Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 "Organ Symphony": Camille Saint-Saëns, Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Pierre Cochereau: Music

While Lenny makes Saint-Saëns sound like Wagner, Karajan manages to make it sound like Bruckner (think 9th). Very interesting per se, at it uses the organ of Notre Dame in Paris to go with the BPO (no idea how they managed that), but wouldn't be the first recording I'd recommend to a newbie.

I'm just rediscovering this, that I have in a larger Karajan box:

Amazon.com: Saint-Saëns: Symphony No. 3 "Organ Symphony": Camille Saint-Saëns, Herbert von Karajan, Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra, Pierre Cochereau: Music

While Lenny makes Saint-Saëns sound like Wagner, Karajan manages to make it sound like Bruckner (think 9th). Very interesting per se, at it uses the organ of Notre Dame in Paris to go with the BPO (no idea how they managed that), but wouldn't be the first recording I'd recommend to a newbie.

My understanding is that orchestra and organ were recorded separately. Cochereau played the Notre-Dame de Paris Organ while the pre-recorded orchestral part was reproduced on a video near him. I like this disc (I tend to be a Karajan fanboy), but still, it is not my favourite as orchestra and organ do not blend very well, which is hardly surprising given this setup.