IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: How To Build A BeagleBone Black MPD Music Server

I have completed all the setup steps, but 'mount -a' is failing.

Here is the verbose output.

root@arm:~# mount -a -v

mount: UUID=C924-5D92 already mounted on /boot/uboot

mount: debugfs already mounted on /sys/kernel/debug

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.20,unc=\\192.168.1.20\Music,user=thurman,pass=********

mount error(95): Operation not supported

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Looks like my share is not mounting. Here is /etc/fstab.

GNU nano 2.2.6 File: /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

#

# Auto generated by: beaglebone-black-eMMC-flasher.sh

#

UUID=62568e03-26ad-430c-88b9-9eabeb590e33 / ext4 noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

UUID=C924-5D92 /boot/uboot auto defaults 0 0

debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs defaults 0 0

//192.168.1.20/Music /mnt/music cifs defaults,username=thurman,password=******* 0 0

Here is my setup.

Mac OS 10.9.4.

Manually configured static IP address, as above.

I am trying to have mpd index my iTunes folder. This is probably not my final configuration, but I'm trying a proof of concept.

I have set a share for the 'Music' folder in iTunes that actually contains the music files. So the share path is:

/Users/gillespy/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music

'Share files and folders using SMB' is selected.' User 'thurman' is selected.

The password contains letters, numbers and the special character '$' (to avoid any unix problems).

Any suggestions appreciated!

It could be worse.

I have completed all the setup steps, but 'mount -a' is failing.

Here is the verbose output.

root@arm:~# mount -a -v

mount: UUID=C924-5D92 already mounted on /boot/uboot

mount: debugfs already mounted on /sys/kernel/debug

mount.cifs kernel mount options: ip=192.168.1.20,unc=\\192.168.1.20\Music,user=thurman,pass=********

mount error(95): Operation not supported

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

Looks like my share is not mounting. Here is /etc/fstab.

GNU nano 2.2.6 File: /etc/fstab

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.

#

# Auto generated by: beaglebone-black-eMMC-flasher.sh

#

UUID=62568e03-26ad-430c-88b9-9eabeb590e33 / ext4 noatime,errors=remount-ro 0 1

UUID=C924-5D92 /boot/uboot auto defaults 0 0

debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs defaults 0 0

//192.168.1.20/Music /mnt/music cifs defaults,username=thurman,password=******* 0 0

Here is my setup.

Mac OS 10.9.4.

Manually configured static IP address, as above.

I am trying to have mpd index my iTunes folder. This is probably not my final configuration, but I'm trying a proof of concept.

I have set a share for the 'Music' folder in iTunes that actually contains the music files. So the share path is:

/Users/gillespy/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Music

'Share files and folders using SMB' is selected.' User 'thurman' is selected.

The password contains letters, numbers and the special character '$' (to avoid any unix problems).

Any suggestions appreciated!

I don't use Samba, but searching for the error you're getting I found suggestions to use 'sec=ntlm' in the mount options list after the password in your fstab entry.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

System (iv) Technics 1210GR > Leak 230 > Tannoy Cheviot

Has anyone tried Voyage MuBox with a BBB? I've got 2 Alixes running Voyage MPD that I'm temped to swap for new BBBs (WAF, etc). The new BBB revisions - the ones with flash storage - are interesting. No more SD cards/card readers!

Edit: woops, just saw Richard's post a page back. Might have to go for it!

Digital: Schiit Yggy + Gumby, Meridian Explorer2

Headphone: Woo WA22, Audez'e LCD3, Beyerdynamic T1

Amplification: Pass Labs INT30A, Focal 1027be

Analog: VPI Classic, Soundsmith Zephy, EAR 834P

LastFM: WharfRatJustin

I don't use Samba, but searching for the error you're getting I found suggestions to use 'sec=ntlm' in the mount options list after the password in your fstab entry.

Richard,

sec=ntlm is rejected as an invalid parameter.

The problem is Mac OS X/SMB specific. You need the following options:

nounix,sec=ntlmssp

Sometimes mysterious mount.cifs failures are solved with a .smbcredentials file, so I got the following to work and mount the Mac SMB share.

Create a .smbcredentials file.

nano .smbcredentials

add the following

username=****

password=***

where *** is the correct username and password for the SMB share.

Save and exit as previously with nano.

Protect the new file from prying eyes.

chmod 600 .smbcredentials

Now my /etc/fstab entry looks like this

//192.168.1.20/Music /mnt/music cifs credentials=/root/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,nounix,sec=ntlmssp 0 0

I don't think the iocharset option is needed, but it probably can't hurt.

Now all my iTunes music is on the BBB MPD server, and displayed in MPoD and MPaD. Can't tell if music will play until additional equipment arrives next week.

References:

Mounting SMB Shares Hosted on Mac OS X from Linux | TecloTech IT Tips & Tricks

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently

It could be worse.

Use the ncmpc app to test playback or use the command aplay -l to see if the DAC shows up.

I can see songs and playlists in ncmpc, but no music or indication anything is happening.

Output from aplay -l

card 0: Black [TI BeagleBone Black], device 0: HDMI nxp-hdmi-hifi-0 []

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

card 1: DAC [uAC1 DAC], device 0: USB Audio [uSB Audio]

Subdevices: 1/1

Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

and aplay -L

root@arm:~# aplay -L

null

Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)

default:CARD=Black

TI BeagleBone Black,

Default Audio Device

sysdefault:CARD=Black

TI BeagleBone Black,

Default Audio Device

default:CARD=DAC

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

Default Audio Device

sysdefault:CARD=DAC

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

Default Audio Device

front:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

Front speakers

surround40:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers

surround41:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers

surround50:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers

surround51:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers

surround71:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers

iec958:CARD=DAC,DEV=0

UAC1 DAC, USB Audio

IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

I edited the ALSA output in /etc/mpd.conf per an earlier suggestion, to no avail.

audio_output {

type "alsa"

name "USB DAC"

device "hw:UAC1 DAC,0" # previously "hw:1,0"

# format "44100:16:2" # optional

# mixer_device "default" # optional

# mixer_control "PCM" # optional

# mixer_index "0" # optional

}

I also connected the ODAC to a laptop, and it was recognized and functioned correctly.

All suggestions appreciated!

It could be worse.

• 2 months later...
I'm using Voyage MuBox instead and that reads the tracks in my library just fine. It seems to use a lot more CPU than the version of Debian that I tuned myself and use in my main system (about 30% with Apple Lossless vs 7-8%). But it is certainly sounding very good and using a higher percentage isn't necessarily a problem, although I wonder why it is occuring. I changed the default frequency scaling from 'ondemand' to 'performance'. The only problem I have it that it seems to lose the device I'm using overnight (HRT Music Streamer II+) and I have to reboot before I can start listening.

Voyage MuBox was very easy to install and get running. You can download it from here:

Supported Boards | Voyage MuBox

Uses a rt kernel? If so, that could be the explanation.

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

No just a normal kernel as far as I know.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > Denafrips Iris 12th/Ares 12th-1; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

• 2 months later...
No just a normal kernel as far as I know.

Sorry for the delay...

I understand that, at least, VoyageMPD uses the RT kernel. According to the website:

3.14.12 real time kernel, with latest ALSA driver from the kernel

In practice (due to the rapid changes of context) the response speed (low latency) results in a decrease in performance (defined as the fraction of time during which the CPU is doing directly productive tasks). This may explain the poor performance in CPU usage.

Sorry for my english

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

• 1 month later...

I know this is a bit late but I'd like to build a beagle bone, however I'm not sure my current configuration supports it. I don't have NAS, but I do have a 2TB external hard drive connected to a Netgear AC1900 wireless router. The router has what Netgear calls ReadyShare. Some type of build in NAS functionality. Can I use what I have and how?

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

I know this is a bit late but I'd like to build a beagle bone, however I'm not sure my current configuration supports it. I don't have NAS, but I do have a 2TB external hard drive connected to a Netgear AC1900 wireless router. The router has what Netgear calls ReadyShare. Some type of build in NAS functionality. Can I use what I have and how?

I've just done some searching and as far as I can see 'ReadyShare' is just an easy way of setting up Windows style SMB shared drives. So you should be able to install voyage-mubox or similar on the BeagleBone Black and set it to point to the Samba share on your router.

• 1 year later...

Hope this is the right place for this:

I'm trying to set up a BBB as a renderer but I want to use Debian 8 Jessie. I'm mostly there but I'm getting some low frequency clicks. Could someone post their mpd.conf file so I can cross check the settings? I'm connecting to a Schiit Bifrost DAC.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok. I think I got it. I can connect the thumb drive to router with usb input and play music from there. Or I could put the music into micro sd card to play from there.

The only problem I face now is there is continuous small pops and ticks in audio playback.

The Debian image I use is "BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-8.6-console-armhf-2016-11-10-2gb.img.xz" as the link to older Debian in the guide no more working.

It appeared that stuttering only occurred with Soulnote dac. Once I changed the dac to M2Tech Young, all pops and clicks were gone. Now the sound is smooth and very nice. :-) I also could follow another thread to play radio smoothly.

What is the root cause and solution for Soulnote dac, I am not sure. At least I am satisfied with the outcome.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris and others,

I'm a Noob trying to reconfigure my BBB to run with a synology DS1515+ NAS

I had this thing running flawlessly a couple years ago off a different NAS but since then my network has changed and the BBB can no longer access the music folder. Unfortunately I didnt save the original fstab network configuration.

So far I have been able to flash and update the original 2013 Debian image referenced in this article onto the BBB revision A5B.

I can communicate with the BBB via ssh.

I cannot access the NAS- it does not show up when the "mount" command is run.

I have tried various different entries in the fstab file, none of which allow me to connect.

I suspect this is an issue with the syntax in my fstab file.

The shared music folder is on volume1/music of the NAS.

I have entered the following in fstab:

//192.168.0.188/ds1515plus/volume1/music (where the IP address is static and reserved for the DS1515+)

followed by the string mentioned in the instructions.

When I reboot the BBB and run the mount command the NAS isnt listed.

Is this the correct syntax for the fstab entry? or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks for your assistance

Chuck

Hi Chris and others,

I'm a Noob trying to reconfigure my BBB to run with a synology DS1515+ NAS

I had this thing running flawlessly a couple years ago off a different NAS but since then my network has changed and the BBB can no longer access the music folder. Unfortunately I didnt save the original fstab network configuration.

So far I have been able to flash and update the original 2013 Debian image referenced in this article onto the BBB revision A5B.

I can communicate with the BBB via ssh.

I cannot access the NAS- it does not show up when the "mount" command is run.

I have tried various different entries in the fstab file, none of which allow me to connect.

I suspect this is an issue with the syntax in my fstab file.

The shared music folder is on volume1/music of the NAS.

I have entered the following in fstab:

//192.168.0.188/ds1515plus/volume1/music (where the IP address is static and reserved for the DS1515+)

followed by the string mentioned in the instructions.

When I reboot the BBB and run the mount command the NAS isnt listed.

Is this the correct syntax for the fstab entry? or is there something else I am missing?

Thanks for your assistance

Chuck

Hi Chuck - I believe you have the syntax wrong. If you use the IP address, then you don't need to add the name. In addition, you only need to use the name of the shared folder. Try something like this //192.168.0.188/music

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chuck - I believe you have the syntax wrong. If you use the IP address, then you don't need to add the name. In addition, you only need to use the name of the shared folder. Try something like this //192.168.0.188/music

Thanks Chris - that solved the problem. Back up running and sounding phenomenal!

Cheers,

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...
Can I configure this to play music from my server through DLNA? I have Asset UPNP running on my server and MPD should be able to play music over DLNA. I guess I won't have to set my servers ip-address and sharename in the file that was mentioned in the article?

Sorry, posted in the wrong thread. Need coffee first.