IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: How To Build A BeagleBone Black MPD Music Server

Using ncmpc can you play music?

Chris, No, I cannot play music,nothing is shown. I think there is no connection with the NAS for some reason. Instead of "//192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music cifs defaults,username=admin,password=mypassword 0 0" I tried "//192.168.1.246/volume2/Muziek /mnt/music cifs defaults,username=admin,password=mypassword 0 0". That did not work either. The image used to start with is BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.2-2013-11-15.img. The NAS is a Synology 1512+ + DX510 running the latest firmware.

Chris, No, I cannot play music,nothing is shown. I think there is no connection with the NAS for some reason. Instead of "//192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music cifs defaults,username=admin,password=mypassword 0 0" I tried "//192.168.1.246/volume2/Muziek /mnt/music cifs defaults,username=admin,password=mypassword 0 0". That did not work either. The image used to start with is BBB-eMMC-flasher-debian-7.2-2013-11-15.img. The NAS is a Synology 1512+ + DX510 running the latest firmware.

Have you enabled Windows sharing on your Synology? This is done on the Synology DSM Control Panel, and you can select the folder to share (ie Muziek). So the //192.168.1.246/Muziek is the likelier of the two. Use the mount -a command after any changes to your fstab entry for a quickest trial and error approach.

Have you enabled Windows sharing on your Synology? This is done on the Synology DSM Control Panel, and you can select the folder to share (ie Muziek). So the //192.168.1.246/Muziek is the likelier of the two. Use the mount -a command after any changes to your fstab entry for a quickest trial and error approach.

Windows sharing is enabled and I use //192.168.1.246/Muziek

Can you map that drive on Windows?

I never tried to map it on a windows machine. I mount it on my Mac easily. I use that to copy my music files from my Mac to the NAS. Is it possible that there is a difference between the last Debian build and the one you used that might be crucial?

I never tried to map it on a windows machine. I mount it on my Mac easily. I use that to copy my music files from my Mac to the NAS. Is it possible that there is a difference between the last Debian build and the one you used that might be crucial?
Not likely. Can you map the drive from your Mac using SMB or are you using AFP?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I can map the drive both ways. I prefer SMB as Mavericks now uses SMB2 as a standard. In the meantime I tried to map the drive from my wife's PC. Works well.

I know there was a Synology DSM update that improved SMB2 performance for Mavericks. I wonder if this caused an issue with the Debian image.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

I know there was a Synology DSM update that improved SMB2 performance for Mavericks. I wonder if this caused an issue with the Debian image.

I don't think so. I have also a Qnap469 Pro, same settings as the Synology, mapping through SMB. Qnap has no upgrade so far for Mavericks. Same problem with BBB

I don't think so. I have also a Qnap469 Pro, same settings as the Synology, mapping through SMB. Qnap has no upgrade so far for Mavericks. Same problem with BBB

Ok great. You're making this process much easier. You know quite a bit more than the average audiophile.

I need to think about this one a bit.

Ok great. You're making this process much easier. You know quite a bit more than the average audiophile.

I need to think about this one a bit.

As I know absolutely nothing of Linux I am dependent on help that I can understand. I have been typing all those lines like a dummy, not knowing what it all means. I appreciate that you are willing to help me to get this BBB going. Take your time, I am not in a hurry:-)

As I know absolutely nothing of Linux I am dependent on help that I can understand. I have been typing all those lines like a dummy, not knowing what it all means. I appreciate that you are willing to help me to get this BBB going. Take your time, I am not in a hurry:-)

Also, try mounting the drive manually from the command prompt just to see if it works or produces another error message.

Try these commands.

sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music

sudo mount.cifs //192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music defaults,username=admin,password=************ 0 0

Also, try mounting the drive manually from the command prompt just to see if it works or produces another error message.

Try these commands.

sudo mount.cifs //192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music defaults,username=admin,password=************ 0 0

mount -a gives nothing, just the prompt. I used "root' as password, assuming that that is correct?

sh-3.2# ssh [email protected]

[email protected]'s password:

Linux arm 3.8.13-bone30 #1 SMP Thu Nov 14 02:59:07 UTC 2013 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;

the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the

individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent

permitted by applicable law.

Last login: Fri Nov 29 18:36:55 2013 from 192.168.1.232

root@arm:~# mount -a

root@arm:~# sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music

Password:

root@arm:~# sudo mount.cifs //192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music defaults,username=admin,password=admin 0 0

Password:

mount error(16): Device or resource busy

Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)

root@arm:~#

mount -a gives nothing, just the prompt. I used "root' as password, assuming that that is correct?

sh-3.2# ssh [email protected]

[email protected]'s password:

Linux arm 3.8.13-bone30 #1 SMP Thu Nov 14 02:59:07 UTC 2013 armv7l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;

the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the

individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent

permitted by applicable law.

Last login: Fri Nov 29 18:36:55 2013 from 192.168.1.232

root@arm:~# mount -a

Password:

root@arm:~# sudo mount.cifs //192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music defaults,username=admin,password=admin 0 0

Password:

After you run

Is the NAS drive mounted?

Type Mount and look for the mount point.

After you run

Is the NAS drive mounted?

Type Mount and look for the mount point.

This time it went wrong:

Password:

after mount I get:

root@arm:~# mount

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=63067,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)

tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=50736k,mode=755)

/dev/disk/by-uuid/b8d2e77b-7900-400c-b3cf-397b025f8a8b on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)

tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)

tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=101460k)

/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot/uboot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

//192.168.1.246/Muziek on /mnt/music type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=1.0,sec=ntlmssp,cache=strict,unc=\\192.168.1.246\Muziek,username=admin,domain=DISKSTATION,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.246,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,actimeo=1)

//192.168.1.246/Muziek on /mnt/music type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=1.0,sec=ntlmssp,cache=strict,unc=\\192.168.1.246\Muziek,username=root,domain=DISKSTATION,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.246,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,actimeo=1)

This time it went wrong:

Password:

after mount I get:

root@arm:~# mount

sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)

udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=10240k,nr_inodes=63067,mode=755)

devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620)

tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=50736k,mode=755)

/dev/disk/by-uuid/b8d2e77b-7900-400c-b3cf-397b025f8a8b on / type ext4 (rw,noatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)

tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)

tmpfs on /run/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=101460k)

/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /boot/uboot type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro)

//192.168.1.246/Muziek on /mnt/music type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=1.0,sec=ntlmssp,cache=strict,unc=\\192.168.1.246\Muziek,username=admin,domain=DISKSTATION,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.246,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,actimeo=1)

//192.168.1.246/Muziek on /mnt/music type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=1.0,sec=ntlmssp,cache=strict,unc=\\192.168.1.246\Muziek,username=root,domain=DISKSTATION,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=192.168.1.246,unix,posixpaths,serverino,acl,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,actimeo=1)

The drive is mounted already that's why you get the Resource Busy error.

This line:

//192.168.1.246/Muziek on /mnt/music type cifs

Lists the NAS drive as being mounted.

type "cd /mnt/music" without the "" then type "ls" without the quotes to see what folders or files are listed.

The drive is mounted already that's why you get the Resource Busy error.

This line:

//192.168.1.246/Muziek on /mnt/music type cifs

Lists the NAS drive as being mounted.

type "cd /mnt/music" without the "" then type "ls" without the quotes to see what folders or files are listed.

after "ls" I get a long list of folders, the first part a lot of ???? (Greek) followed by A-Z

I think so. The drive contains approx. 18000 folders, so it is hard to check, but I think that's okay.

OK this is good. Run ncmpc then ctrl and the letter u to update the mod library. This will take awhile. The letter U should appear in the upper right of ncmpc window. After a few minutes you should be able to browse some of the files while the library is populating. Don't stop the update, stop mpd, or restart the server until this update is completed.

Can you see those albums in ncmpc's browse screen?

OK this is good. Run ncmpc then ctrl and the letter u to update the mod library. This will take awhile. The letter U should appear in the upper right of ncmpc window. After a few minutes you should be able to browse some of the files while the library is populating. Don't stop the update, stop mpd, or restart the server until this update is completed.

Can you see those albums in ncmpc's browse screen?

yes I see a list of folders now! But this is after I typed "sudo mount -t cifs //192.168.1.246/Muziek /mnt/music" some time ago. Do I have to edit the file?