IGNORED

DSP speaker/room correction

I tend to agree, based on my experience with the DSPeaker AntiMode Dual Core, which does automatic DRC in the low frequency range -- and does so quite effectively. It also provides the ability to instantly switch to by-pass, thus enabling immediate comparison of corrected and uncorrected sound.

But then again you have dual-core DSP doing a lot of processing all the time, and close to D/A converters if you use the built-in ones. I rather save and use the more powerful processor in my playback computer I already have anyway, rather than buying yet another piece of single-purpose hardware...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

But then again you have dual-core DSP doing a lot of processing all the time, and close to D/A converters if you use the built-in ones. I rather save and use the more powerful processor in my playback computer I already have anyway, rather than buying yet another piece of single-purpose hardware...

Yes, it's an alternative approach. But the DSPeaker Dual Core is far from being a single-purpose device: it is an automatic DRC in the low frequencies, parametric equalizer over the full frequency range, a DAC, and a line level preamp.

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Yes, it's an alternative approach. But the DSPeaker Dual Core is far from being a single-purpose device: it is an automatic DRC in the low frequencies, parametric equalizer over the full frequency range, a DAC, and a line level preamp.

I know the product quite well, but I meant that it is far from flexibility of a computer. So compared to a PC it is a single purpose device. You can do all the same, and more, with computer + DAC.

The main problem with doing DRC on your PC is that you will have to go to quite a bit of extra work to integrate other sources with it. I prefer a DRC system that doubles as a pre-amp i.e. has inputs for multiple sources. An analog input is nice to have too.

In the context of DSP, the only source that matters is a computer; tact, deqx, trinnov are all computers. As an aside, I've always been surprised that fancy and expensive "audiophile" servers rarely offer useful DSP and never offer multi channel DSP. Can't get away from the jriver. :-)

Jussi,

When do you expect HQPLAYER to support multi channel DSP? I am using an RME HDSPE AIO.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Jussi,

When do you expect HQPLAYER to support multi channel DSP? I am using an RME HDSPE AIO.

HQPlayer has supported up to 7.1 channels for very long time. All the processing that is available in HQPlayer is supported for up to 7.1, except for DSD which is limited to 5.1 because there are no official speaker mappings for higher number of channels. All the processing is also available natively for both PCM and DSD.

The main problem with doing DRC on your PC is that you will have to go to quite a bit of extra work to integrate other sources with it. I prefer a DRC system that doubles as a pre-amp i.e. has inputs for multiple sources. An analog input is nice to have too.

I actually have that kind of software processor too, for use with professional 8-in & 8-out audio interfaces in realtime.

But it's not a problem in general, pretty much all studios do it these days, so there are many ways to do that with a PC. For example I have bunch of guitar-amp simulators for PC that run in real-time, so I can plug a guitar to the audio interface and listen how it sounds through all kinds of vintage amps while playing in real time, without actually having stacks of hard-to-obtain vintage gear... Same goes of all kinds of vintage synthesizers.

Check out for example:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/bundles/komplete-9/overview/included-products/guitar-and-bass/

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/komplete/synths-samplers/retro-machines-mk2/

I know the product quite well, but I meant that it is far from flexibility of a computer. So compared to a PC it is a single purpose device. You can do all the same, and more, with computer + DAC.

There is something to be said for doing *automatic* low frequency DRC, particularly in as uncomplicated a way as the DSPeaker device does, even if it is less flexible than one's PC.

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

I meant to ask specifically about crossover, delay and copying channels. I think you previously said that would come with the next hqplayer build?

HQPlayer has supported up to 7.1 channels for very long time. All the processing that is available in HQPlayer is supported for up to 7.1, except for DSD which is limited to 5.1 because there are no official speaker mappings for higher number of channels. All the processing is also available natively for both PCM and DSD.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

I meant to ask specifically about crossover, delay and copying channels. I think you previously said that would come with the next hqplayer build?

Crossover design and channel copy is coming in 3.x series, but these are not "surround" sound things, but more for building multi-way speaker systems with fully digital cross-over for all drivers. You can already run low-pass for sub and high-pass for other channels using the existing multi-channel convolution engine.

Speaker delay and level adjustment is already there for 7.1 channels, also for DSD.

There is something to be said for doing *automatic* low frequency DRC, particularly in as uncomplicated a way as the DSPeaker device does, even if it is less flexible than one's PC.

Sure, although verifying that it does the correct thing is less automatic. I prefer using REW/Audiolense/Acourate way. With these tools you can fairly easily get to the "automatic" level and then tweak things further quite conveniently.

For me, having extra AD/DA cycle is out of question and, AFAIK, DSPeaker doesn's support DRC for native DSD.

The big problem I see with PC based systems is for secondary sources.

How does PC based room correction work (for example) with my Satellite which requires Dobly Digital decoding to multichannel and also for analogue sources such as turntable (yes I'm a Luddite at times too)?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

The big problem I see with PC based systems is for secondary sources.

How does PC based room correction work (for example) with my Satellite which requires Dobly Digital decoding to multichannel and also for analogue sources such as turntable (yes I'm a Luddite at times too)?

I don't know about this particular Dolby Digital case, but for analog sources you can use some of the pro-audio tools on Windows/Mac or free tools on Linux.

For turntable you could also run RIAA EQ in digital domain on computer, instead of ordinary phono preamp.

But when I was doing it for turntable it was Creek phono-preamp -> M-Audio Delta1010 analog in -> bunch of Linux software -> M-Audio Delta1010 analog out.

I've thought couple of times integrating this kind of option in HQPlayer too, but it is a bit confusing from conceptual perspective on a music player application. So I think it should rather be a separate application. I have the capability as part of my measurement application, but maybe there should be a standalone application for doing just same DSP work as the player, but from digital/analog input. Engine could be all the same, but GUI can be much simpler.

I've thought couple of times integrating this kind of option in HQPlayer too, but it is a bit confusing from conceptual perspective on a music player application. So I think it should rather be a separate application.

Personally I think it would work better as an option within the software ... A virtual source selector if you will.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

In the context of DSP, the only source that matters is a computer

Having a DRC with easy to use pre-amp functions is a major plus. I've tried it without and it is a PITA in a domestic environment. I feed my Tact from my computer (main music source), CD player, DVD, Cable, Roko, Apple TV, etc. DRC is terrific with TV and movies even in two channel.

• 2 weeks later...

I would have said the opposite. The PC with sound card gives you instant access to all sources: digital files, CD, DVD, SPDIF, analogue. No re-sampling necessary, and only a single A/D stage for the analogue input.

You Can use Dirac from Dirac.se for just that. It works Like a charm. ;)

Best Regards Mit freundlichen Grüssen KK ?

What I would like to be able to do, within OS X, is plug in a microphone, run some software, and generate one or a series of correction plug-ins that I could use with Audirvana, without having to get a Ph.D. in applications of Fourier analysis.
  • 1 month later...
You Can use Dirac from Dirac.se for just that. It works Like a charm. ;)

Best Regards Mit freundlichen Grüssen KK

It doesn't "generate one or a series of correction plug-ins that I could use with Audirvana"; it has it's own closed, proprietary deconvolver. Also, Audirvana in iTunes-integrated mode will not work with it. (BitPerfect does.)

PS: I found the degree when I was cleaning out my office. It didn't help, either. ;)