IGNORED

How do you store your music ?

Where is your music source stored?  

272 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey! Don't feel stupid, I was in the same place as you several months back. As you just realized, you won't need that dongle after all...;)

Let me know how you fair in regards to attaching to the Synology, I am using Macs rather than PC's to attach to mine, but the general configuration is very similar.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Can you access your NAS via Synology Assistant? If so first recommendation would be to try and shutdown and re-start.

Yes, I can access the DS212j via Synology Assistant and DSM. No problems there.

This is no doubt a newbie question, but here goes. Once I get this NAS working, like I mentioned in my initial post, I am going to be streaming to 3 Squeezebox Touch players. I will have to plug a USB dongle into the Synology to do this, right? But the absence of the dongle is not related to my current issue, right?

Ok I think I figured this out, what you need to add to your Synology for the Squeezebox Touch (another user here alluded to it as well). It is an add on Package you can download from the Synology site or within the DSM application on your Synology. It is called Logitech Media Server.

As mentioned you install the package directly within DSM, using your connection from your PC to the Synology DSM software.

Best of luck.

Barr

asyn2.jpg

asyn1.png

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I've been reading about static IP Address. Are there simple directions on this? I've read a bunch but it still confuses me.

Apple Airport Extreme > Mac Mini & MacBook Air > DS1813+ coming soon.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I've been reading about static IP Address. Are there simple directions on this? I've read a bunch but it still confuses me.

Apple Airport Extreme > Mac Mini & MacBook Air > DS1813+ coming soon.

Yep, I set this up on my Apple Extreme, specifically for the Synology. In fact, now that I think about it, I lied, I did not set it up on the Apple Extreme. The static IP address is not assigned by the Apple Extreme, rather it is configured in the device connected to it (the Synology NAS in this instance). You can choose any address within your Apple Extreme's subnet, however it is best to choose one above 200 as I believe the Apple Extreme reserves XXX.XXX.X.1-200 for providing dynamic addresses ( I am not a network expert so apologies to those I might horrify with any incorrect terminology herein ).

So for example if your internal network is something like 192.168.1.X ( you can check this on your Apple Extreme, using the Airport Utility application in your Utilities folder), the configure the Synology NAS with a static IP address of 192.168.1.201.

You do want the Synology NAS to have a static IP address so you can reach it via your browser and login to the Administration interface. Mine for example is located at 10.0.1.201.

This link shows you how to do it on the Synology, very easy. Be sure to WRITE DOWN on paper what the IP address is (just in case).

Create a static IP for your NAS network device | NAS Storage Blog

Poorly worded response, but hopefully conveys the essence.

Thanks. That's a little bit better. I did lookup my info and think that I may have a better grasp. Guess I'll find out next week when it arrives. I'm over researching and over thinking. As usual when I don't fully understand something.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Let me know how you fair in regards to attaching to the Synology, I am using Macs rather than PC's to attach to mine, but the general configuration is very similar.

Barr

Okay, now I'm getting somewhere. My Synology DS212j is now in my network. As is often the case, I couldn't see the forest for the trees, because I was over-thinking things, making it too complicated.

I sent a support ticket to Synology, and they sent me the solution within 24 hours.

The solution was a link to a tutorial, here: Synology Network Attached Storage - How to access files on Synology NAS ...

Basically, here are the steps:

1) Set up the DiskStation; install Synology Assistant

2) Install DiskStation Manager software

3) Create at least one volume

4) Create at least one shared folder

5) Create at least one user with access privileges to the newly created Shared Folder

6) Configure the DS to be accessible over the internet

7) Then map shared folders as network drives using Synology Assistant

Within the above tutorial, there are other tutorials to complete some of the aforementioned steps, if you are like me and need help with those.

So, now my DS212j is in my network map and accessible. As I type this, I am copying ~1.4 TB of music to my new NAS. Yay!!

Tomorrow, after all the music is copied to the drives, I'll configure the Logitech Media Server in the DS212j, synch it up with my 3 Logitech Squeezebox Touch players and report back with the results.

Many thanks to those on this forum who helped and pointed me in the right direction. You guys and gals are the best.

Hopefully, this will help someone else that hits the same roadblocks that I did.

Jeff

Good to hear!

My 1813+ arrives on Friday and I'm already sweating.

Did you do 1 volume or more?

I set up 2 volumes, one on each drive. I just set up the DS212j for "basic" RAID (no data protection), where I have all my music on one drive, and an exact copy of it all on the second drive. My ripping method, with dbPowerAmp, is to rip an AIFF copy to each drive simultaneously, while also ripping a 3rd FLAC copy to a separate drive. That's basically what I was doing before I decided to go with the Synology NAS. I was previously just using 2 external drives in a Data Tale enclosure, streaming to 3 Squeezebox Touch players. Tomorrow, after all the music is finished copying, I'm going to install the Logitech Media Server (which I've already been using on my desktop machine) on the Synology and hopefully synch it up with the SBTs.

Jeff

I set up 2 volumes, one on each drive. I just set up the DS212j for "basic" RAID (no data protection), where I have all my music on one drive, and an exact copy of it all on the second drive. My ripping method, with dbPowerAmp, is to rip an AIFF copy to each drive simultaneously, while also ripping a 3rd FLAC copy to a separate drive. That's basically what I was doing before I decided to go with the Synology NAS. I was previously just using 2 external drives in a Data Tale enclosure, streaming to 3 Squeezebox Touch players. Tomorrow, after all the music is finished copying, I'm going to install the Logitech Media Server (which I've already been using on my desktop machine) on the Synology and hopefully synch it up with the SBTs.

What do you suggest I do? I have a bunch of music files. I was going to use SHR-2.

What do you suggest I do? I have a bunch of music files. I was going to use SHR-2.

I don't feel qualified to offer advice on most of this stuff, especially with respect to RAID choices.

I'm not going to be using my Synology NAS for anything else but as a music server. Nothing but music is going to be on those drives. With what little I know about RAID, while it offers data protection, it's not a true backup. I basically want to be able to use my NAS almost as if it were just 2 independent drives, which is why I set it up as "basic" raid. Whenever I rip a new CD, using dbPowerAmp, it sends an AIFF copy to each disk. So when one of the drives eventually fails, I have an exact duplicate on the other drive. As an extra precaution, I also have dbPowerAmp set up to send a FLAC copy to a third drive (not in my NAS). And I actually rip a 4th copy as a 320kbps mp3 file to send to my iPod Classic 160gb. Once set up correctly, dpPowerAmp rips all 4 copies and sends them to the proper place, all in one step.

I'm not sure even if these are the best choices for me, much less for someone else. I'm still fairly early on the learning curve on all this. So, like I mentioned before, I don't want to offer advice to others. But I do know this: There are LOTS of very knowledgeable folks here that have pointed me in the right direction and have provided invaluable guidance along the way.

Jeff

What format do you guys use on your NAS? I'd like to be able to have it Windows & Mac (which I use for audio) read/write to it. It seems as though exFAT is the way to go but then I've seen a few reports that even some Macs have issues with it.

Thoughts?

What format do you guys use on your NAS? I'd like to be able to have it Windows & Mac (which I use for audio) read/write to it. It seems as though exFAT is the way to go but then I've seen a few reports that even some Macs have issues with it.

Thoughts?

You don't normally get a choice of what format to use for a NAS.

Setting up hard drives and booting your NAS | macsynology

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

You don't normally get a choice of what format to use for a NAS.

Setting up hard drives and booting your NAS | macsynology

Eloise

Thanks for the link!

EXT4 should work well.

I'm still not sure if I want one, two or more volumes. Any reason to do more than two? In fact, any real reason to do two?

Thanks for the link!

EXT4 should work well.

I'm still not sure if I want one, two or more volumes. Any reason to do more than two? In fact, any real reason to do two?

If you're purely using your NAS for media storage one is fine.

If you also do backups (ie time machine) I would have a separate volume for each computer to backup to.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

If you're purely using your NAS for media storage one is fine.

If you also do backups (ie time machine) I would have a separate volume for each computer to backup to.

Gotcha. I think my music backup will be a http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HFR2-SU3S2-ProRaid-External-Enclosure/dp/B003YFHEAC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1AI2WS8OZF1Y3&coliid=I27GXWP7OQD2A0

as one volume so I can backup the music folder from the NAS. I'm pretty sure I can create folders on the one volume that I can give permissions to for family photos and such. Further, I can lock all other folders. Correct?

That is correct. I have one volume on my NAS, and multiple folders, one for music (used by iTunes and JRiver), one for photos, one for videos, one for documents and one for Time Machine. For the Time Machine folder I have a disk quota on it, and have a separate set of permissions than some of the other folders. So yes for every folder you can control who does and does not have access. And the reason I set a disk quota for the Time Machine folder is to manage the amount of disk space used for Time Machine backups.

That is correct. I have one volume on my NAS, and multiple folders, one for music (used by iTunes and JRiver), one for photos, one for videos, one for documents and one for Time Machine. For the Time Machine folder I have a disk quota on it, and have a separate set of permissions than some of the other folders. So yes for every folder you can control who does and does not have access. And the reason I set a disk quota for the Time Machine folder is to manage the amount of disk space used for Time Machine backups.

Excellent! 1 volume it is then. Then I should be able to add HD's to that volume without any issues.

Does anyone use Synology Audio Station? I'd like to be able to listen to my music from various locations via computer. I think Audio Station can do it. Can I just "point" Audio Station to my audio library on my 1813?

Any help is appreciated as I continue to plan the arrival of this beast.

Does anyone use Synology Audio Station? I'd like to be able to listen to my music from various locations via computer. I think Audio Station can do it. Can I just "point" Audio Station to my audio library on my 1813?

Any help is appreciated as I continue to plan the arrival of this beast.

Well, you inspired me to try!

1. Installed Audio Station. Takes like, 5 seconds. Installed instantly and it already knew I had a folder called "Music" and started indexing already. Same with my "Video" folder, cool!

2. Could see playback devices instantly. I could see my Sonore Rendu and could instantly stream music to it. Again, sweet! And could play local playback of course.

3. Need to use EZ-Internet Wizard to setup port forwarding to be able to access the NAS from anywhere on the Internet. Just click on the top left admin icon, and then EZ-Internet. Goes step-by-step, just select your router and it basically gives you basic settings if you don't know what you are doing. Details: Remote Access on the Synology DiskStation - SynologyWiki

I'll have to try this out when I am at work tomorrow to report back on ease-of-use on remote access, but I think I got it setup correctly. You can transcode to MP3 or WAV in the Audio Station settings as well.

PI Audio ÜberBUSS > Synology DS1813+ > TP-Link MC220L > Sonore opticalRendu > Holo Audio Spring DAC L3 > Goldpoint SA1X > Hegel H20 > Salk SoundScape 10's > GIK / PI Audio Group Room Treatments > :)

I'll have to try this out when I am at work tomorrow to report back on ease-of-use on remote access, but I think I got it setup correctly. You can transcode to MP3 or WAV in the Audio Station settings as well.

Cool. Let us know!

I am currently using Subsonic to stream my music remotely. Subsonic can also transcode on the fly and allow you download or upload music files. Does Audio Station have this kind of functionality and does it have an Android app? I am looking to upgrade from my Thecus N4100Pro NAS to a nice 6 bay NAS. QNAP and Synology are on my list.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments