IGNORED

Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi minimalist player

sbgk

that's interesting, shall give it a go. I have half optimised it using some of the scripts from the jplay forum. have uploaded what I hope is nearing the final version of MQnplay - 2.17 sse4 intel, seems to have everything I was looking for. has a nice tone to it.have included 2 versions with different prefetching, hardware prefetching with trigger and just hardware prefetching. the 2.17 sse4 intel version uses software prefetching which I think sounds best.

i can hear improvements with 2.17. still prefer 2.10 for its vocal... something about 2.10 seems missing in 2.17. don't know if you play any music instrument, for example when someone plays the piano, those who 'drop' their hands/fingers onto the piano sound free and natural. those who play with only fingers, and not taking advantage of their body weight and gravity, they don't sound good. 2.17 sounds more skillful but 2.10 seems more free and natural.

let me test it on win7 too.

thought the non gui version removed the wasapi code, what does your command do ? how can the clarity be increased if mqn is reading the files into ram before playback starts ?
I just came across the C drive root option by incident while sorting out the MQn issue in my various OS environment. Still need in depth listening with familiar tracks. I quitted the WS2012 core mode 'cause of DAC driver compatibility problem, just for the sake of ks. Would surely try again for wasapi.
i can hear improvements with 2.17. still prefer 2.10 for its vocal... something about 2.10 seems missing in 2.17. don't know if you play any music instrument, for example when someone plays the piano, those who 'drop' their hands/fingers onto the piano sound free and natural. those who play with only fingers, and not taking advantage of their body weight and gravity, they don't sound good. 2.17 sounds more skillful but 2.10 seems more free and natural.

let me test it on win7 too.

SORRY,. misjudged. confused 2.17 with 2.16. 2.17 sounds great.

Do we have wasapi and mqn working on core server?

i tried it a few weeks ago with no success

Whats the procedure to get it working?

some people seem to say it works with an optimised ws2012 and without gui, by core I assume you mean audiophil's core, not sure anyone has tried that. I still run it on gui. hopefully others can clarify what set up they use.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

I didn't see this post until just now, just going to say I have uploaded 2.18 which uses the 2.10 settings, but with the code removal changes. Like to know what you think.

according to my 45mins listening-2.10 vs 2.17 vs 2.18

1. emotion. all great! nothing to compare. best i heard on earth

2. highs. wasn't sure initially, as i listen to 'i will survive', 2.18 should be the winner. non-harsh very smooth vocal. 2.18 & 2.17 are brighter than 2.10 (not sure good or bad)

3. frequency of ear discomforts. 2.18 wins- few. 2.10- could be a lot. 2.17- better than 2.10. (currently i believe XA900b is the best for this category)

4. bass. not sure. i don't pay attention to it.

5. soundstage. 2.10 & 2.17 seems more 3d than 2.18?

i want play mqn with affinity because it set sound better so i only say sbgk modify mqncontrol to set 3 core run ?

have uploaded mqncontrol.exe 4 core affinity which sets mqnplay on core 1 and everything else on core 0,2,3. mqncontrol.exe sets mqnplay to core 1 and everything else on core 0. I have done it this way because of hyperthreading, it's a bit complicated to work out if HT is being used and if it is you might want to run mqn on core 0 and everything else on core 1 for a 2 core cpu.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

according to my 45mins listening-2.10 vs 2.17 vs 2.18

1. emotion. all great! nothing to compare. best i heard on earth

2. highs. wasn't sure initially, as i listen to 'i will survive', 2.18 should be the winner. non-harsh very smooth vocal. 2.18 & 2.17 are brighter than 2.10 (not sure good or bad)

3. frequency of ear discomforts. 2.18 wins- few. 2.10- could be a lot. 2.17- better than 2.10. (currently i believe XA900b is the best for this category)

4. bass. not sure. i don't pay attention to it.

5. soundstage. 2.10 & 2.17 seems more 3d than 2.18?

thanks for the feedback. I like the beefier sound of 2.17, sounds more solid. To me the sound of 2.18 is typical of the code not fitting into the instruction cache optimally so you are getting a false detail effect due to more cpu cycles being used to read the code in, it uses align 8 while 2.17 uses align 16. I tried 2.18 with align 16 and it didn't sound so good as 2.17. It may be wrong about why 2.17 sounds more solid and beefier, it could be due to the alignment code that is inserted as a result of the align 16 command.

just tested thinkspace's JIE 2.72. MQn definitely rapes it every possible way. JIE is given the mighty power of "Nanosecond buffer control accuracy", "multi-core programmes", "Kernel Lock", "Hibernate Mode", "JEPCFG.BAT tweak"... MQn is still better.
thanks for the feedback, thinkspace knows a lot about the windows kernel so thinks that is where the problems lie, I told him before that maybe he was applying his efforts in the wrong direction. My view was that it is not a cpu intensive process to pass bits of data through a cpu, but jie, jplay etc seem to think that more cpu cycles means better sound. the next thing that should improve mqn is large memory pages which jplay uses, am having difficulty getting the right permissions set up in windows 8, though.

oh, you use ws2012! have you tired using powershell:

remove-windowsfeature server-gui-shell

MQn will sound even better.

what do you use to queue the music without explorer ? did try it and seems to give a different sound, a bit harder in the treble.

what do you use to queue the music without explorer ? did try it and seems to give a different sound, a bit harder in the treble.

there is a free program called "everything", after careful customization, it can replace the metro. i use it to launch programs and find music. to replace explorer, i use xyplorer, nexusfile.

hmm... sounds like win8/2012 bug. check your dpc latency, it is like 500 or 1000? fix it with

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

there is no way SQ go bad. no GUI version is just like GUI version without metro, IE, taskbar.

have uploaded mqncontrol.exe 4 core affinity which sets mqnplay on core 1 and everything else on core 0,2,3. mqncontrol.exe sets mqnplay to core 1 and everything else on core 0. I have done it this way because of hyperthreading, it's a bit complicated to work out if HT is being used and if it is you might want to run mqn on core 0 and everything else on core 1 for a 2 core cpu.

thanks ^^

hmm... sounds like win8/2012 bug. check your dpc latency, it is like 500 or 1000? fix it with

bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes

there is no way SQ go bad. no GUI version is just like GUI version without metro, IE, taskbar.

got the gui back with Install-WindowsFeature Server-Gui-Shell, Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra

in ps

am trying the dynamic tick mod

how did you get audio working with Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra removed?

it wasn't removed, that's just the command I used to get the gui back. maybe doesn't need Server-Gui-Mgmt-Infra. I didn't have any way of copying files to the clipboard so I just used what had previously been played by typing mqncontrol --Files ".\Files.txt"