IGNORED

Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi minimalist player

sbgk

I have to say Chris this rule did not apply recently when the JPlay Hoax discussions were taking place here on CA where a lot of very ill mannered and unprofessional posts were allowed over numerous pages without any attempt at moderation.

This. I stopped coming to this site when I noticed certain folks were allowed to be rude to anyone who has the temerity to believe they could differentiate between software or anything for that matter. Only reason I caught this thread was a random search for MQN from Audioasylum. Steve is better off at his forum. Frankly I'm amazed this thread lasted as long as it did.

This. I stopped coming to this site when I noticed certain folks were allowed to be rude to anyone who has the temerity to believe they could differentiate between software or anything for that matter. Only reason I caught this thread was a random search for MQN from Audioasylum. Steve is better off at his forum. Frankly I'm amazed this thread lasted as long as it did.

This thread is continued on TirNaHifi forum in friendly atmosphere: Tír Na HiFi • View topic - MQN

and here is the SBGK's blog MQn related: MQn - Just Good Music

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

While the software player measurement thread argues about the no of angels on the head of a pin here is something you can try and hear

real differences, all down to build optimisation settings

have uploaded portaudio.dllopt4 which can be used with squeezelite for windows

install logitech media server, need 7.8 for 192 output

Some Software Beta Downloads - Version 7.8

install squeezelite from the 3rd party plugins called local player by triode

replace portaudio.dll in C:\ProgramData\Squeezebox\Cache\InstalledPlugins\Plugins\LocalPlayer\Bin with the opt4 version

you can switch back to the old one for comparison by stopping lms and replacing the portaudio file

just a few simple optimisation settings in the build have reduced the aggressive sibilant sound, this is 32 bit, so a 64 bit should sound better, but this already sounds better than the original enough for me to listen to it for more than 5 mins. only wasapi and ks are available, no asio as I don't like it.

in the advanced tab select local player and there is a settings option next to local player which you can use to change the player using the device output debug option drop down box. I am using wdm ks out to a cuinas convertor.

squeezelite can be optimised a la MQn, so more later when I build it eg it uses the renowned digital sounding memcpy

plus you get 24 bit/192 and remote control and can run it headless with audiophils core with this.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

uploaded a 64 bit version of portaudio and squeezelite which uses movsq instead of memcpy, sounds pretty good - the squeezebox sound has gone. Sounds better than daphile as well.

should be able to compete with some high end streamers/players

designed to be used with wdm-ks devices

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

• 4 weeks later...
finally got round to finishing off mqn for 24 bit in 24 bit uploaded mqncontrol v1 and mqnplay v3, the best version I have heard so far.

Is there anything I may do wrong that it doesn't work for me? V3 still does the same thing, after 10-15 min it starts crackling.

But it wold play 16/44. I did try different setups on my driver 24/96, 24/192, 24/384, no difference. I am loosing my hope little bit, sorry.

I've been waiting for this for a long time.

Is there anything I may do wrong that it doesn't work for me? V3 still does the same thing, after 10-15 min it starts crackling.

But it wold play 16/44. I did try different setups on my driver 24/96, 24/192, 24/384, no difference. I am loosing my hope little bit, sorry.

I've been waiting for this for a long time.

shall upload some different versions see if they work.

• 2 weeks later...

another first in the hi-fi world for MQn, had another go at an avx version.

uploaded mqnplay.exe avx 1, using mqncontrol.exe 2 core v3 from the archive, sounds ok. should be able to play 16 bit in 16 and 24 in 32 bit, no 24 bit hirez yet. In theory should be half the noise.

avx requires the latest cpus eg mine is an i5 haswell.

Advanced Vector Extensions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

there are a couple of optimisations missing from this version, so will get better.

for those with avx capable cpus, see what they are capable of, makes quite a difference.