IGNORED

Visual studio 2012 c++ and wasapi minimalist player

sbgk

not sure i heard more detail in 2.25 or just sounded messier.

2.25 is the same as 2.23 4 4 except for 1 setting Zp4, it seems to add control to the sound, not sure if I like it, 2.25 doesn't have it. 2.24 seems to lose a bit in the treble for my liking. So left with deciding to go for a 2.25 or 2.23 flavor and whether to use 8 8, 4 4, 8 4 or 4 8 alignment settings. I like 2.25, but whether it will last is another matter. I tried the Zp4 setting in the main code and it had a similar effect, so not convinced by it, although it is used in a lot of the code I have seen.

There is no harm in doubt and skepticism, for it is through these that new discoveries are made. Richard P Feynman

http://mqnplayer.blogspot.co.uk/

2.25 is the same as 2.23 4 4 except for 1 setting Zp4, it seems to add control to the sound, not sure if I like it, 2.25 doesn't have it. 2.24 seems to lose a bit in the treble for my liking. So left with deciding to go for a 2.25 or 2.23 flavor and whether to use 8 8, 4 4, 8 4 or 4 8 alignment settings. I like 2.25, but whether it will last is another matter. I tried the Zp4 setting in the main code and it had a similar effect, so not convinced by it, although it is used in a lot of the code I have seen.

yeah. i am confused. among 2.10, 2.19, 2.23, 2.24 and 2.25, each one has different brightness in female vocal. call me crazy, with some female vocal, 2.10 still sounds best, but sometimes when e.g. 2.24 sounds good and then 2.10 sounds harsh. i guess i am trying to say is, no one version has best vocal and brightness yet.

yeah. i am confused. among 2.10, 2.19, 2.23, 2.24 and 2.25, each one has different brightness in female vocal. call me crazy, with some female vocal, 2.10 still sounds best, but sometimes when e.g. 2.24 sounds good and then 2.10 sounds harsh. i guess i am trying to say is, no one version has best vocal and brightness yet.

I guess this is one of those situations where being able to measure differences would come in handy...

sbgk, I just want to say thank you for making the player public.

I'm test driving it (2.22 sse4) and find the results really interesting. Bass clarity, detail/texture and timing are the best I've heard and soundstage likewise, it's not pinned around the speakers. Soundstage is more like a good vinyl setup (yes that is a compliment!). I'm using W8 with an i5 machine and the 4 core affinity version of mqncontrol.

Clive - I have been using MQn for some months as SBGK has developed it - to great effect.

If you want to best SQ from MQn, I hghly recommend using Windows Server 2012 Standard and the single core affinity version of MQn. WS2012 is available free for a 180 day Evaluation version from Microsoft. It is effectively a cut-down version of W8 with much less consumer stuff to get in the way of SQ.

Cheers

Jonathan

Clive - I have been using MQn for some months as SBGK has developed it - to great effect.

If you want to best SQ from MQn, I hghly recommend using Windows Server 2012 Standard and the single core affinity version of MQn. WS2012 is available free for a 180 day Evaluation version from Microsoft. It is effectively a cut-down version of W8 with much less consumer stuff to get in the way of SQ.

Cheers

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan, thanks for the advice. I've seen in discussed though I'd not paid a lot of attention, it is something I need to consider doing. Should I set up a dual boot on my C drive? I expect I'd need to back my drive and reformat it. Or can I boot from a USB3 stick?

I am sure I am missing something here, but if you want to get rid of all the "consumer stuff" and have a pure music player, wouldn't it make sense to do as most vendors of commercial player systems have done and use a stripped-down linux kernel that allows much more optimization? Why use Windows at all?

you have answered you own question. some people have no desire to use linux.

I can understand that in the context of a general purpose computer, but surely for a dedicated music playing computer (that MQn seems to require) what matters isn't whether you like or don't like an OS, but what gives you the tools to achieve best sound quality?

I can understand that in the context of a general purpose computer, but surely for a dedicated music playing computer (that MQn seems to require) what matters isn't whether you like or don't like an OS, but what gives you the tools to achieve best sound quality?

stripping down a linux really isn't a thing to be pride of. you can strip down windows too. if you have recompiled your linux kernel with the best compiler and optimized settings, i would be more interested to know about the resulting SQ. that's one thing windows cannot do.

There are many though who just don't have the inclination to learn another O/S to the point where they can set it up properly via a command line.

Fair enough - most embedded linux-based systems are set up to boot straight into the application so that you never see a command line.

stripping down a linux really isn't a thing to be pride of. you can strip down windows too. if you have recompiled your linux kernel with the best compiler and optimized settings, i would be more interested to know about the resulting SQ. that's one thing windows cannot do.

While linux offers much more flexibility both in terms of being able to disable or remove subsystems and recompile the kernel, the real power comes from being able to change both kernel and device driver code to give you absolute control of the data path.

While linux offers much more flexibility both in terms of being able to disable or remove subsystems and recompile the kernel, the real power comes from being able to change both kernel and device driver code to give you absolute control of the data path.

i think you are clueless. tell me one thing linux can disable/remove windows cannot?

i think you are clueless. tell me one thing linux can disable/remove windows cannot?

I guess you aren't very familiar with embedded Linux. Please do tell me what yo think can't be removed in Linux. *Anything* can just be removed after a recompile. How do you recompile the Windows kernel?

Fair enough - most embedded linux-based systems are set up to boot straight into the application so that you never see a command line.

I was thinking more about getting the computer set up to be like this, there's lot of work and learning to get to that point. If there were a linux distribution which could very simply be loaded pre-tailored then it would be interesting. Maybe this exists already? At least with Windows most people can get apps running really easily. These usablity issues are why Android was created on a linux kernel isn't it? Anyway we should get back to MQn...