IGNORED

Yes Close To The Edge HDTracks

@bogdan101: I listened to AF version of CTTE tonight, gave myself an hour break from the stereo, and then listened to HDtracks 24/192 version. My listening experience was nearly identical to yours. The AF version was very bass heavy, so much so I actually used the brightness adjustment on my headphone amp (I usually keep it neutral). I enjoyed the Hoffman mix very much, especially the detail of the instrumentation. On the other hand the HDtracks version was definitely more open and more comfortable to my ears. I am sure that is because the HDtracks version is unaltered from the same master I have enjoyed on vinyl and cd over the last thirty plus years. Both were wonderful to listen to, and I will certainly be giving both multiple listens as CTTE is by far my favorite recording from Yes.

-square

-square

@bogdan101: I listened to AF version of CTTE tonight, gave myself an hour break from the stereo, and then listened to HDtracks 24/192 version. My listening experience was nearly identical to yours. The AF version was very bass heavy, so much so I actually used the brightness adjustment on my headphone amp (I usually keep it neutral). I enjoyed the Hoffman mix very much, especially the detail of the instrumentation. On the other hand the HDtracks version was definitely more open and more comfortable to my ears. I am sure that is because the HDtracks version is unaltered from the same master I have enjoyed on vinyl and cd over the last thirty plus years. Both were wonderful to listen to, and I will certainly be giving both multiple listens as CTTE is by far my favorite recording from Yes.

-square

It it not a remix. Just a remastering.

Just sayin'

Your entire statement wasn't relevant. There was no ill will intended.

IMHO the truth is not provocative, it just is. It is people that try to "filter" or "color" truth that is provocative.

Your statement did not condemn Mr. Hoffman or his work. That wasn't my point. The point was that there were a number of statements posted that were not provocative but IMO malicious and there are rules that state forbid this.

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

I agree with some of the posts that the HDtracks sounds more open. I have no problem with the low end on the SACD, sounds good and tight. I don't care if an engineer uses EQ to make alter something more than what has been previously heard in other versions. I don't like remixes *which I realize this is not* but I am not so much of a purist that I am against major EQ adjustments. If it can be made to sound more enjoyable without remixing, then go for it, I say.

What I don't like about the SACD is the high end. For one, it sounds like a specific area of it is too attenuated for my tastes. Worse than that, does anybody else think the cymbals on the SACD sound processed and metallic? I doubt if any digital EQing took place, which would have been fine by me anyway, but whatever happened, Bruford's cymbals sound a little trash-canny, and not in a good way like on KC's Red Nightmare. Maybe I'll change my mind on subsequent listens. The original Atlantic still sounds good to me but HDtracks is my new favorite.

@fredhammersmith2: You are correct, sir. I should have said "remaster" instead of mix. Just another late night post without prior proofreading. In any event, I am very happy to have both versions and I am looking forward to more hi-res releases from Yes' catalog. The 1970s and early 1980s albums should be excellent hi-res remasters, but I am worried about the later albums having 16/44 masters, like Rush's "Moving Pictures".

-square

Hey guys, I just want to say thank you for all the great info in this thread. Although I haven't posted, I've been reading with great interest as I'm a Yes fan from way back in the 70's (saw them 5 times back then). I've had the HDT download of Fragile for a while and have been pretty happy with the SQ. I'm listening to CTTE now .. sounds good. Later I'll give a listen to TYA. Yup, downloaded both. I hope Relayer is next!

Hey guys, I just want to say thank you for all the great info in this thread. Although I haven't posted, I've been reading with great interest as I'm a Yes fan from way back in the 70's (saw them 5 times back then). I've had the HDT download of Fragile for a while and have been pretty happy with the SQ. I'm listening to CTTE now .. sounds good. Later I'll give a listen to TYA. Yup, downloaded both. I hope Relayer is next!

I should have also thanked for the good info too- thanks all!

Yes, Relayer would be great!

Now I'm thinking the HDtracks CTTE is a bit bright, as well as the other two. I may tame the highs a little when I have time. Just not in the same way and as much as the SACD. Could stand to have the bass thickened up a little if it can be done without clouding everything up. I don't know the source, but it's a great sounding transfer!

What I don't like about the SACD is the high end. For one, it sounds like a specific area of it is too attenuated for my tastes. Worse than that, does anybody else think the cymbals on the SACD sound processed and metallic? I doubt if any digital EQing took place, which would have been fine by me anyway, but whatever happened, Bruford's cymbals sound a little trash-canny, and not in a good way like on KC's Red Nightmare. Maybe I'll change my mind on subsequent listens. The original Atlantic still sounds good to me but HDtracks is my new favorite.

You gotta remember that this album was recorded over 40 years ago... To be fair, the SACD is the best I´ve heard it.

I've just been banned from the SH forum over this... :)

Why this just didn't surprise me... *lol*

Look at this (my) thread: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f15-music-general/what-does-original-master-recording-means-all-mfsl-sacds-14912/

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

I've just been banned from the SH forum over this... :)

Why?

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Why?

Because of this:

a.jpg

From the original Master Tapes - ahahahaha - *LOL*

This is just simply a lie... He have many skeleton in the closet.

Every question about master tapes get's deleted and you are banned for spam.

It's just that simple....

PS: Also this (from Wikipedia): The following year saw Hoffman dismissed from MCA for reasons which remain the subject of much controversy.

That's why I call him "Sticky Fingers" Steve....

PS: And I have no agenda either anything else of Mr. Steve Hoffman. I have all DCC's and nearly all AFZ's...

Albert Einstein: Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

On the other hand, Steve H has stated Close To The Edge was from the original master tapes.

Just wrong (as I know)...

From Chris Squire direct:

Anything that hasn’t come out has either been misfiled or lost. Unfortunately that applies to quite a few of the masters. Close to The Edge we don’t have, it seems to have disappeared. On a personal note the masters for my solo CD Fish Out Of Water seem to have disappeared as well.

That's the reason why every post about the master tapes get's deleted and you are banned for spam....

Not that I Care one way or the other but the master tapes are usually in some vault at the record company and They are the ones who own them.

And also, as has already been talked about, for tapes of that age, the master tape may not be the best sounding tape available. Clearly it's best to use the best quality tapes available, which may or may not be the master tapes.

Yeah, no problem at all, but why not tell the truth... This lying thing drives me nuts...

Every question about this get's deleted. The whole MoFi crew get's banned, because they have get caught him by his "truth"...

You are right, sorry...

PS: I am not sure if it is allowed to start a new topic about this (as I see here this regards many people) ? Chris, give me a hint...

EQ difference plots of Audio Fidelity CD layer and HD tracks (downconverted to 16/44) Siberian Khatru, compared to Barry Diament's CD version ('original'). Since these are difference plots, 'level' (y-axis) means the level of *difference* (e.g. a +3dB level at 3kHz means that remaster is 3dB 'higher' at 3kHz compare to BD's version). There was no attempt to level match the files before doing the frequency analysis.

2remasters_log.jpg

@sullis02: How and on which program do you have make this graph? I am searching for a program on which I can compare EQ differences.