IGNORED

SACD Player For Reading/downloading DSD

Yes they do! I own one!! Why would I be arguing this?? They pass 24/192 BluRay, etc.

Here is my old review and 25 page thread from three years ago (in it we had the Oppo/Atlona tested to confirm 24 bits, albeit only 24/88 for DSD-toPCM, but 24/192 for bluray):

Review: take SACD and BlURay Hirez directly to your DAC!!!!

We've gotten too far from the OP's intent. Net/net, SACD players do not pass DSD over anything but HDMI (requires an AVR with DSD decoding currently) or analog (post-decoding of course). If you want the player's PCM then these kits or de-embedders will be a solution, but I personally I am somewhat allergic to DSD-to-PCM conversion (after hearing native DSD). Piano, for example, sounds like poor wow-flutter issues from old cassette tapes. Even Pentatone's Mari Kodama hdtracks examples. The native DSD is an entirely different planet for those recordings.

Interesting. Can't argue with the guy who has actually tried this at home. Always learn something new ...... Of course, the de-embedder you pointed at have just 2 channel coax digital outs, so for 99% of Blu Rays you can only use this with the 2.0 downmix (unless a native 196/24 track is on the disc as with Nordic Sound). May be the licensing restiction does not apply for the downmix.

You would think stripping out 2 channel SACDs converted to 88/24 PCM would still be in violation of the license though.

I know for a fact that the Multi Channel versions of these boxes (i.e. 4xS/PDIF out) are in violation of the license and therefor not available commercially.

Well, Erik, it was the only way (for awhile, until BluRay audio ripping was solved) to grab Neil Young's Archive 24/192 wonderful audio off his BluRays. There's more out there than 1% (ok, maybe 2% :) ). And they are not downmixes, they are true LPCM 2.0. Dave Matthews, Tom Petty, Chris Botti, the 2L's you mentioned, etc.

Well, you might say so but I could not possibly comment (in public). ;-)

Does Francis Underwood say this too? I'm a huge fan of the original BBC series (viewed it on TV at the time it aired, bought the DVD box set as soon as it came out -- one of my first DVDs -- watched it numerous times since) and can't wait to see the US remake but Netlfix is still not available in my area :-(

Soundhd, to play the SACDs you own through a DSD DAC, you will need to first rip the data off of them. Currently, that process can only be completed with the use of an old Sony PS3 (that is capable of playing SACDs, and still using and old firmware version). There are excellent guides on how to do this, and our own Ted_b can only be described as a luminary in this field, but even he would admit that it's an arduous labor of love.

If modifying a PS3, carefully ripping discs, and streaming these to your DAC from a computer sound interesting to you, there is no better digital to be had. If not, you're limited to a small collection of excellent-sounding music available as a DSD download.

Hi, Sherwood. I'd gently disagree about how arduous this is. You mention "modifying" a PS3. Installing new firmware and what is essentially a new game is nothing a bunch of 11-year-olds don't do every day for themselves with a PS3. And it may be possible to "carefully" rip discs, but I don't know any way to do it with any disc other than to just stick it in the slot and um, let 'er rip. :) So for anyone considering it, I would say the one thing that might be arduous is if you have a bunch of SACDs. Then it may consume a lot of time. But same with ripping CDs.

All that being said - this can't be done that I know of currently with new PS3s, so there is always the chance an old one will simply wear out if asked to do a great deal of ripping.

Edit: BTW, Sherwood, beautiful object in that avatar. Can't quite figure out the function. Can you tell us?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Jud, thanks. Yes, once you find an eligible (i.e one of four SACD models, and firmware 3.55 or less) PS3..which is much easier said than done, the "modding" process of installing the firmware, keys and ripper takes 5 minutes. Then your personal SACD library is at your beck and call. I wouldn't rip more than 5 or so per process (so as to make sure the unit does not overheat, etc).

Edit: BTW, Sherwood, beautiful object in that avatar. Can't quite figure out the function. Can you tell us?

Jud, you and Ted have both posted a wealth of knowledge here, all of which I've benefited from greatly. I am at a disadvantage here, as I begin in your debt :)

As to the SACD ripping process, arduous was perhaps too strong a word. I know the process of finding a suitable machine is daunting for some, as is the process of installing modded firmware. RROD/YLOD concerns always play on my nerves, but again that's simply the cost of doing business. I'll certainly agree that, having dispensed with preparing the tools, the ripping itself isn't too terrible, even when using custom scripts. To put it in perspective, I would say it's nothing compared to tweaking the anti-skate and azimuth on a tonearm, but I didn't grow up with records. I grew up with computers.

Of course, CA readers regularly build their own CAPS servers from scratch, and this is certainly easier than that. So all is relative.

As to the machine in my avatar, it's another relic from a simpler time. It's a "balance" vacuum coffee brewer -- the very first automatic coffee maker. It operates the same way a copper pot still does, to a degree, though it pulls the distillate back into the copper portion after brewing is completed. It makes some of the best tasting coffee you could imagine, and does it automatically, with no electricity. They were popular around the turn of the (19th) century, though they've had a bit of a resurgence lately. For instance, an interested person could purchase one here.

Silent Win10 Music Server -> Roon -> HQP -> Singxer SU-1 -> Holo Audio Spring -> ECP L2 -> HD800 / Grado HP2i / HE-1000 / JH 13

Mark Levinson announced their No.560 DAC some time ago, which is supposed to get HDMI inputs with DSD capability. That would allow to connect a SACD-capable Blu-ray player and feed it with the DSD signal from SACDs. But it's release has been delayed.

So until then, one is limited to outputting 24/88 (Oppo) or 24/176 (Sony) PCM from Blu-ray players to a HDMI de-embedder and feeding the S/PDIF input of a DAC.

Claude

Mark Levinson announced their No.560 DAC some time ago, which is supposed to get HDMI inputs with DSD capability. That would allow to connect a SACD-capable Blu-ray player and feed it with the DSD signal from SACDs. But it's release has been delayed.

So until then, one is limited to outputting 24/88 (Oppo) or 24/176 (Sony) PCM from Blu-ray players to a HDMI de-embedder and feeding the S/PDIF input of a DAC.

Some claim the Sonys decrement down to 16 bit. We were never able to test.

Splitting hairs: it was Francis Urquhart...

Does Francis Underwood say this too? I'm a huge fan of the original BBC series (viewed it on TV at the time it aired, bought the DVD box set as soon as it came out -- one of my first DVDs -- watched it numerous times since) and can't wait to see the US remake but Netlfix is still not available in my area :-(

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Some claim the Sonys decrement down to 16 bit. We were never able to test.

Were's the problem with testing that?

Just send me a short snippet of recorded de-embedded audio, and I should be able to look into it.

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

Well, Francis Urquhart I know, but I couldn't see why his famous line would suddenly pop up after so many years, other than if his US counterpart uses these same words.

It was run in the US on Public Broadcasting's Masterpiece Theater some years ago. I enjoyed it tremendously, remember it well, and recognized the derivation of Kal's remark instantly.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.