How low does your best rig extend its bass +/-3dB?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ohm Walsh 5s are in series with 6 Ohm subwoofer drivers on the 2Ch side.

Multi-Ch has 2 JL Audio Fathom 113s. Freq response 19-200Hz (+1dB / -3dB)

img1631z.jpg

JL Audio 113

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

kshepjl4sy1.jpg

Ohm Subwoofer Cabinets

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The other cabinet is facing the oppostie direction.

No measurements have been taken. The JL subs are very musical...MVI recordings of Morph the Cat, The Nightfly or Kamakiriad get many hours of play here.

Arcam, AKG, Audience, Ayre, Bel Canto, Beyer Dynamic, Black Sand, Boston, Carver, CIA, Denon, Headroom, JL Audio, Meier, Ohm, PSA, RBH, Senn

Ohm Walsh 5s are in series with 6 Ohm subwoofer drivers on the 2Ch side.

Are you saying the left Walsh 5 is wired in series with the left subwoofer, and that the subwoofer has a 6 ohm input impedance?

HQPlayer (on 3.8 GHz 8-core i7 iMac 2020) > NAA (on 2012 Mac Mini i7) > RME ADI-2 v2 > Benchmark AHB-2 > Thiel 3.7

Are you saying the left Walsh 5 is wired in series with the left subwoofer, and that the subwoofer has a 6 ohm input impedance?

In series must be the incorrect terminology.

The signal from the amps travels to the sub woofers first in a normal right/left wiring configuration then to the Walsh 5s

The #6 refers to the number of drivers, two per enclosure, not impedance. I sent John the room dimensions and he recommended the extra sub drivers and custom crossovers. The sub cabinets and drivers were purchased from Ohm...apologies for the confusion.

Arcam, AKG, Audience, Ayre, Bel Canto, Beyer Dynamic, Black Sand, Boston, Carver, CIA, Denon, Headroom, JL Audio, Meier, Ohm, PSA, RBH, Senn

Could you who measured their room share with me how you did it with me?

I would be quite interested in measuring my kit and room, and I think I have more or less what I need: a Behringer ECM8000 measurement mike and a tube mike pre-amp in particular. But I need an audio card with XLR inputs that I could plug into an USB port on my Macbook (or my PC but I prefer the Macbook as otherwise getting the sound to output from my PC to my rig would be quite complicated - not unfeasible but tricky). This way I could check how effective the DSP in my Santorin 30 proves to be.

(or my PC but I prefer the Macbook as otherwise getting the sound to output from my PC to my rig would be quite complicated - not unfeasible but tricky)

Sounds like you are already halfway there... Though one thing is you don't necessarily need audio out from the computer that is doing the measuring, as you could always download a pink noise track and play it on your main system and the other computer simply records your room's frequency response.

According to the Delos test CD, my stereo rig and surround setup both have useful extension below 20 Hz.

Stereo: 2 M&K Sound 350THX subs, each with two 12".

Surround: 1 M&K Sound 350THX sub

Al J.

Modem/router + Keces DC-116 12V LPS - SGC Sonic Transporter + Sonore 12V LPS/Edwards Audio ISO-1 mains isolation transformer - Meicord Opal LAN cables - Aqvox Switch + Sbooster 9V LPS/Uptone LPS-1 - Etalon Isolator - Sonore Signature Rendu Special Edition + Mad Scientist Heretical USB data-only cable - Sonore Ultradigital + Uptone LPS-1 - PS Audio I2S-12 cable - HQ Player - Holo Spring Level 3 DAC -  iPeng on iPad 2 - MK Sound 300 monitors - Mad Audio Scientist Tungsten Carbide footers - Niels Larsen NLE speaker cables - Walker Audio Reference Plus HIGH Definition Links - 2 MK Sound MX350 subs - Shakti Stones - Herbie's Super Sonic Stabilizers - Herbie's Tenderfeet - Stillpoints ERS EMI/RFI sheets - Gutwire Ultimate Ground + Entreq Minimus + Silver Minimus grounding boxes - Symposium Rollerblocks - Symposium Ultra platform - Akiko Tuning Sticks

I am certain I can at least get to 16 Hz measured in my room.....two paradigm subs, wired for 240v (two separate circuits)

win8 (on Fujitsu ah532 , 6Gmem), Musical Fidelity vlink192, Benchmark Dac1-usb, Jriver mediacenter 18, HDTracks 192/24 (mostly), DROBO FS, 2xNuForce Ref. 18 monoblocks, Paradigm Sig s8's, 2xParadigm Sub2's (240v, two seperate, independent electrical circuits feeding these), various high-end analog cables, ZeroSurge power filters (except on subs), sennh. hd800 headphones.

okay, so just got a copy of the Stereophile test CD which has tones to measure bass response. My speakers only roll off around 31hz, which is exactly acc'd to specs.

I was surprised to find that the volume rolloff isn't extreme - there is quite a bit of audible bass even at 20hz.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...
We are big pipe organ listeners. The Ohm 5000's while superb for the rest of the range simply don't fulfill the desire for a proper plumbing of the depths. A 32 ft. organ pipe's pitch is 16.4Hz. The next improvement will be subs and will probably be killer expensive as according to specs I've seen very few will go that low. And yes, I'll prolly need dsp too.

If you plan on reproducing those 32' pipes you will note that the wavelength of 17Hz is 65 feet.

Andrew Bacon

'if it aint broke take it apart and find out why'