IGNORED

BACCH filter by Dr. Choueiri

Read this article, post your comments.

Adam Gopnik: Edgar Choueiri and the Astonishing World of 3-D Sound : The New Yorker

I think there's something very exciting to look forward to and I'm blissfully ignoring my intuition that tells me its just a gimmick to be ignored. This is just too glowing, too interesting, too cool to just dismiss. I only hope its available on a trial basis when it finally gets released, supposedly some time this year according to the scientist's web site.

Read this article, post your comments.

Adam Gopnik: Edgar Choueiri and the Astonishing World of 3-D Sound : The New Yorker

I think there's something very exciting to look forward to and I'm blissfully ignoring my intuition that tells me its just a gimmick to be ignored. This is just too glowing, too interesting, too cool to just dismiss. I only hope its available on a trial basis when it finally gets released, supposedly some time this year according to the scientist's web site.

Come on, somebody here has to read this. It's fascinating. Is it an access thing? No NYer subscribers here?

But I don't want my Bach filtered...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Kind of like that FT article you linked about the Dragonfly?

Yes indeed... I did not notice as I am subscribed to the FT, but you can get the FT article for free by registering on their website. Registration is free and gives you access to a fixed (10? I don't remember and am too lazy to check) number of articles per month.

Yes, this is the same thing.

I wouldn't be too dismayed by this effect being played on $200 loudspeakers. From the looks of it, the room treatments are worth at least another $1000 and the stands are quite solid. So, Dr. Choueiri is no fool. In fact, he's ridiculously brilliant. The NYer article goes into the depth of his intellect, which is at the jaw-dropping, OMG, "scarry" level ... based on his accomplishments and over-the-top hobbies (he designs jet engines that run on electricity for a real job).

Also, the article slams the quality of the current world view love of MP3 fidelity. The author is a bit of an audio-lover, who can't stand the sound of MP3s. Choueiri is romantic about an all analog system that sings him to sleep. In short, these people know something about fidelity and the descriptions in the article are quite pleasing to read.

My concern, and this is stressed in the article, is the BACCH will work in a small sweetspot. Hopefully on kick ass stereos that provide sweet areas, this may be overcome. Anyhow, the good Dr wants to get around this shortcoming with a sensor so the filter changes as you move around the room to follow you. Maybe the main concern here is making it all affordable when you integrate the sensor, because this is otherwise a cheap patch to our digital chains.

But I don't want my Bach filtered...

Funny! That's exactly what this filter is meant to make better. Choueiri finds Bach sublime and hence devised the clever acronym for his filter. The goal is to sonically bring you into the chamber in a way no 2 ch system has done before.

This isn't about recording quality, this is a new level of psycho-acoustics to improve sound stage, with a push of a button.

Funny! That's exactly what this filter is meant to make better. Choueiri finds Bach sublime and hence devised the clever acronym for his filter. The goal is to sonically bring you into the chamber in a way no 2 ch system has done before.

This isn't about recording quality, this is a new level of psycho-acoustics to improve sound stage, with a push of a button.

FOUND IT! The Bach Mass in B Minor with and without filtering.

Adventures in 3D Sound: Bach and Binaural Recording - Studio 360

I like my Bach filtered.