IGNORED

Upgrade advice on 2.1 system

RPM

Hello,

I am looking to upgrade my desktop 2.1 system and would like some advice.

Current setup is Mini mac 2011, Yamaha RX v995 receiver, Klipsch pro media satellites , Klipsch KSW 10 sub.

considering Mini mac to Peachtree nova 125, Klipsch reference RB - 61-2

bookshelf, these would be on stands behind the desk, and still using

the sub.

MacMini > Audirvana Plus > Musical Fidelity V Dac 2 >

Emotiva XSP-1 > Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2 > Ascend Sierra Towers NRT >

Rythmik F12SE > :)

That is a very open ended question you have. Care to narrow things down? Budget, goal and present system for starters...

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

lol..yeah it was because i hit the wrong button and it posted before I was done.....

nice first post huh? well thanks for not calling me an idiot.....:)

Thanks, I might add I really love the Klipsch sound, but would be very open to other suggestions on the Peachtree, although it seems like a good value, my budget is around 1800.00 for amp/dac & speakers

I'm all for trying things out, so I'll say try the Nova125, but keep the box and receipt. I like my original Nova, so I thought I'd "upgrade" to the 125. Dang, that new class D amp is not easy to listen to. And your lively Klipsch's won't make things any better.

Do you, or how do you plan to implement a high pass filter on your main? I assume, that currently you are using bass management built in to your receiver to remove low frequencies from your main speakers. With the peachtree, I'm not sure how you would do that as it appears to not have a pre-out/main in loop nor does you subwoofer seem to have the necessary filters.

Running mains full range and pairing them with a sub is not bad but it's not ideal either. For a number of years I enjoyed a similar setup but once I was able to employ a full crossover network I felt both the bass and everything (most everything) above got much better.

Nvidia ION running JRiver 21 on Win 7

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.

So...you might consider a quality USB to SPDIF converter and use that with your Yamaha and buy the speakers you want.

Down the road if you still have the itch to upgrade you could purchase a newer receiver or a pre/pro and an outboard amp.

Unfortunately, for us two channel folks who want to use a subwoofer, there aren't a lot of options, dedicated two channel ones anyway.

- USB to Firestone Audio Bravo USB to SPDIF Converter. Optical to miniDSP NanoDigi eq/crossover. SPDIF to 2 Cambridge Audio DacMagics. Analogue to Audio Refinement Pre-5 to 2 M&K V-75 powered subwoofers & Audio Refinement Multi-2 power amp to Focal Chorus 716s.

- Intel NUC on Win 10 as JRiver 21 DLNA renderer. USB to Breeze Audio DU-U8 USB to SPDIF converter. SPDIF to Anthem MRX-520. Mirage OMD-5: left, right & surrounds. Mirage OMD-C1: center. SVS-SB-2000: subwoofer.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Pro on Volumio DLNA renderer to Rega Mira 3 to Dali Zensor 1s.

- Raspberry Pi2 with HifiBerry Dac+Standard on Volumio DLNA renderer to NAD 312 to PSB Alphas.

Do you, or how do you plan to implement a high pass filter on your main? I assume, that currently you are using bass management built in to your receiver to remove low frequencies from your main speakers. With the peachtree, I'm not sure how you would do that as it appears to not have a pre-out/main in loop nor does you subwoofer seem to have the necessary filters.

Running mains full range and pairing them with a sub is not bad but it's not ideal either. For a number of years I enjoyed a similar setup but once I was able to employ a full crossover network I felt both the bass and everything (most everything) above got much better.

Thanks for the replys. you are correct I am currently using bass management on theKlipsch desktop mains, and want to do the same with the bookshelf speakers.The Peachtree doesnt seem like the right fit for me then. I really want to get away from using an big receiver .

Looks like I might try the outlaw 2150

With a vdac2 outlaw has bass management, sub out ,pre in

I recall reading positive reviews of both the Outlaw and the v-dac ii. The Outlaw certainly takes care of my bass management gripe.

Should be fun!

I recall reading positive reviews of both the Outlaw and the v-dac ii. The Outlaw certainly takes care of my bass management gripe.

Should be fun!

Thanks, I have changed my mind on the outlaw and will go with

a parasound 2100 pre amp , and parasound 275 amp

Please elaborate - what don't you like?

It's the same sound as all class D amps I've heard...music on 20 pots of coffee.

Very fast and analytical; no flow or soul. Being a big fan of Peachtree, I bought the Nova125 to replace my Nova, thinking that maybe they "got it right" where others have failed. That wasn't the case, so I'm back to my ol' trusty original Nova.

The parasound setup should be a good one as well. That preamp is a very popular model over on AVS and you'll have a little more flexibility down the road should you decide to you're ready for another change.

Another thing to look at...

ERGO Room Correction KRK SYSTEMS offers room correction with a 2 channel or 2.1 setup.

Maybe worth a look.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks, have finally placed orders after endless hours researching, final lineup :

Mac mini - Vdac2 - Parasound 2100 pre - Parasound 275 - Ascend Seirra 1 NRT - Klipsch KSW 10 Sub

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

rpm: i have an older yamaha rx v2500 use yamaha universal changer using analogue OUTLAW interconnects to OUTLAW icbm-1 for bass management of my sacd's and dvd's

now have schiit modi and magni the dac is connected via rca ins' on avr/ music is out from my pc via usb/ the sound stage separation clarity mids bass treble are ALMOST as good my sacds and dvd-a's/i am only listening using "pure direct" in 2.1 analogue on the avr-the sound is spectacular and i am only streaming MOG at 320kbps or sirius at paltry 128 kbps

havent downloaded any highrez stuff and i lost all my ripped cd's/ripped dvd-a's some time ago hope this helps its inexpensive 99$ each plus 20$ interconnects and wont have to buy new avr and bass management is only worthwhile for sacd/dvd-a playback try to find used outlaw icbm-1 or check with outlaw themselves they may have some lying around in their warehouse bobbmd

Thanks, have finally placed orders after endless hours researching, final lineup :

Mac mini - Vdac2 - Parasound 2100 pre - Parasound 275 - Ascend Seirra 1 NRT - Klipsch KSW 10 Sub

Thanks for the suggestions and help!

Excellent choices. If you like the Klipsch sound you'll love the Sierras. Enjoy.

Family Room: Panny TCP65S2, Panny BDP-55, DTV HR-24, SB Touch, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Yamaha RX-V3900, Emotiva XPA-3, Rocket NM 550's, Rocket 150's, X-CS, UFW-10, Harmony 700.

Computer Room: Dell laptop, Uptone Regen Amber, Schiit Bifrost Multibit, Decware SE84C+, Zu Omen, ALO National, Mr.Speakers Mad Dog headphones