IGNORED

Improvement to my next Rig

What improvements would you like to see at your next Rig?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I mentally construct systems sort of as an excersize in visualizing what might be possible.

The reality is having something that doesn't scream out "heterosexual audio geek" in my living room is a fairly high priority. But assuming it can be incorporated tastefully, I have at least two fairly different ideal systems in mind:

1. Pure-digital DAC/AMP, bi-amped (or tri-amped) speakers that don't look like coffins, single-source (mac mini or better with direct optical-based thunderbolt DAC hookup). Ideally I would like the DSP and crossover software on the computer rather than firmware on some other bit of hardware. I want class-D-type energy efficiency. I want IP control over everything. I want a user-friendly interface but one that is fully customizable with a scripting syntax like Python that doesn't suck.

2. Computer as source, minimalist DAC direct into a SET tube amp and extremely efficient speakers that don't sound weird.

If I have to choose one of these to come true, I would pick #1, but I sort of like the idea of the opposite extreme as well.

A fanciful day dream type of question.........Similar to, ‘If you just won the Spanish Lotto.......'.

Honestly, if I were so fortunate to be able to start from scratch.......I would first take a serious look at the room. Preferable a dedicated room just for 2-ch audio. This is where I would take advantage of today’s digital technology & use it for measuring & tuning the performance of my all analog vinyl system by achieving the best possible results utilizing architectural acoustic design & treatment.

Pete, this is not meant to refute or mock your personal preference of digital technology. It is a simply the way I choose to utilize the available technology. You may see me as a luddite, but I still believe, based soely on the systems I have heard, both digital & analog, that V similar performance can be achieved iin a 2ch system regardless of the means used.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Honestly, if I were so fortunate to be able to start from scratch.......I would first take a serious look at the room. Preferable a dedicated room just for 2-ch audio.

I agree with this. I would seriously look at my room design. And then hire Jim Smith to come and setup my system.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

At the moment nothing, I have upgraded everything in the last 2 years and if I had to do it again tomorrow I would buy the same things, maybe change the veneer on my Harbeth speakers, but the rest would be the same.

I don't think about my system as it gets out of the way, I just concentrate on the music :)

Tim

"Songs are really just very interesting things to be doing with the air." - Tom Waits

Main: Custom W10/JRiver/FLAC music server | Rega DAC | Rega Brio-R | MA Bronze2

Originally Posted by Great Gig

I don't think about my system as it gets out of the way, I just concentrate on the music

Quick, somebody ban this troll! We must act now to protect the children, and the puppies. And the newbies.

Holy smokes Great Gig could be delusional as he hath spoketh using logic, but trouble is I feel the same way....

The Truth Is Out There

It seems most people are leaning towards "User friendly setup and acoustic/DSP/room optimization" This seems fairly open to interpretation. For me, this would me a one box solution that I can control from tablet / smartphone (e.g. Naim SuperUniti), speakers & subs, and a few room treatments.

Maybe others would like to elaborate on what this means to them.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

I've already got some of the items on this list. (20-20,000 KHz, active crossovers, rounded loudspeaker cabinets, interconnects counts down, and I haven't bought from a B&M audio store in many years.)

Reducing the number of boxes and connections will be important. I see manufacturers combining functions such as speakers, dac, input selection, (remote) volume control and wireless connection. I don't know yet what combination in a specific product will be the right choice for me.

I'll see how the DSP for room correction works out. I need three separate functions:

- modeling of how speakers will work in my room at various positions,

- organized data collection of actual measurements with speakers and listener at various positions and

- actual correction for a specific choice of locations.

I know I won't be paying nose-bleed money for anything.

Bill