IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

• 5 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wklie said:

A beta firmware for Radio Paradise FLAC, and more than forty other free FLAC Radio stations, is now available. For those who wish to try it, please let me know and state your Lumin model.

Although it is not going to receive a major version number change, I feel this is an even more important functionality than the HiFi upgrade of a paid streaming service (that is supposed to launch before the end of the year), for the simple reason that they are free and therefore can be enjoyed by all Lumin users without paying for another subscription. Some free radio stations are donation-supported.

I'm listening to it while typing this.

Yes please, Peter, if it will work with my S1. Thank you, David

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Ropet said:

f fuses can make a clear and big sound difference to the better it should be a quick fix to upgrade all hifi products in the factory with a minimal engineering resource. Better sounding and possibly better reviews. What is holding them back?

As has been mentioned before, fuses have to be certified before they can be adopted by manufacturers. Without that certification, very few manufacturers would take the risk of legal action following a fire.

It's the same with any component, including mains cables. That's why most manufacturers simply provide an ordinary 'kettle lead'.

• 2 months later...
On 1/3/2022 at 4:46 AM, wklie said:

We have just released Lumin Firmware 14.4 for all models in our network player / streamer lineup.

The original Lumin A1 was released at the end of year 2012, so it has received 9 years of firmware upgrades, and is now in its 10th year.

This was supposed to be a major release to work with the HiFi upgrade from a certain streaming service last year, which unfortunately did not happen.

Hi Peter.

Is 14.4 compatible with the S1? What is the procedure for updating, please?

Thank you.

2 hours ago, wklie said:

I assume it is iPad 7th gen.  Which iOS version is this?

It is the latest version of iOS, Peter. I have just discovered the issue. I had larger text chosen in Display and Accessibility Settings, as my ageing eyesight isn’t too good nowadays. So I have had to turn off this helpful Accessibility feature until hopefully a future version of the Lumin Software addresses this Lumin app anomaly. Do you think this could happen?

5 hours ago, wklie said:

Fixed in Lumin iOS app 7.2 .  Please try it.

Hi Peter.

Thank you and your company's engineers for their amazingly fast response.

Yes, the Search facility is now visible when using Larger Text and Bold Text, but it's not yet optimally formatted or arranged.

The position of the search facility is now better. And if I choose to use larger text sizes, in BOLD, to make them more easily readable through iOS Acccessibility, album titles etc do become easier to read.

However, the remaining issues are:

1) The Circle with the X in it is still partly hidden.

2) The lower parts of the letters which I type in are still partly hidden.

3) The Search command 'area' remains as small size, and the text that I input myself is still very small.

4) The Search facility is visually very small, but it is in a large blank area, so it could be rearranged. Could it be made even clearer and bigger, perhaps more to the left?

As I used to work in the IT industry, I know the suggestions I have made are possible.

I have done a mockup (in the attached image) of my proposed changes.

Thank you.

Lumin Search.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Sanjeev said:

What is the output voltage when line out is kept at low. I feel that when I keep X1 line out to low, sound is not so sweet. My pre is ATC SCA2 and speaker ATC SCM 50 ASLT.

I also use an ATC SCA2, Sanjeev, into SCM150ASLTs, with a Lumin S1 powered by an X1 power supply.

I use the Low setting in the Lumin app which feeds the SCA2 through balanced XLR cables. It works fine for me. How big is your room?

6 hours ago, wklie said:

Please set Lumin Analog Output Level to Low.

No matter you use Roon / Spotify app / Tidal (Connect) app, adjusting the Lumin volume using these apps gets the same Lumin Leedh Processing Volume as with using Lumin app.

Some uses have come to rely on Lumin volume with good results by direct output to a power amp, some of them even sold their preamp.

I disagree with the traditional view that it's best to use the preamp volume control instead of Lumin volume control, especially when you have too much gain.  When you limit the preamp usable volume to a very restricted low range, the result cannot be good.

Ultimately, you will have to decide whether you preamp volume control sounds better or the Lumin volume control sounds better.

Without using attenuators, please compare:

1. Lumin volume at 100, Analog Output Level Normal, control volume via preamp

2. Lumin volume at 100, Analog Output Level Low, control volume via preamp

3. Turn down Lumin volume to a very low level, turn preamp volume way up

Equalize the playback volume using a smartphone with a free sound level app.  See which sounds better to you.

I have my ATC SCA2 preamp set at about 11pm on the volume, (around 40-45%) and the Lumin app is set on Low output. I control the volume primarily using Leedh on the Lumin app, as my iPad tends to be in my hand all the time when I am listening.

On 1/24/2022 at 12:45 PM, Sanjeev said:

Whether u control volume from Lumin app and what is max volume setting in Lumin app. Also are u keeping ROON volume fixed.

Yes, Roon volume is fixed.

Max volume level in Lumin app is set at 100% and I use the Leedh volume control to change volume most of the time. Although I may buy a Lumin remote control at some point.

• 4 months later...
36 minutes ago, wklie said:

We do have similar limits.  If you know that you have more than that and it works with Qobuz native app or web player, I'm afraid you'll need to try Roon (USD120 per year I think).

Thank you, Peter. So what, specifically are the numerical limits to the number of Qobuz albums, tracks or artists that Lumin app can accommodate, please? I had just over 34.000 tracks favourited in Qobuz, and I was using Roon until 2 months ago, and everything was working fine. But I decided that I would terminate my Roon account and just use the Lumin app, for both financial reasons and SQ reasons. It is a bit of a shock to find that Lumin has such a limit that nearly 70% of my Qobuz albums are not available to me through the Lumin app. Is this a well known limit, as I could find no reference to it within the User Manual or within this forum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Peter, what is the purpose of the HDMI output on an S1 please? Is it a digital audio output? If so, is it standard HDMI cable that should be used? And do you know of any examples of what other equipment it can be used with? (DACs etc). Surely it's not to send a video signal to a tv/monitor? It MUST be there for some purpose, but I cannot find it in the online Lumin User Manual. Than you.

• 3 months later...
26 minutes ago, Siddhi said:

I was actually thinking of an even bigger number (like a MSB), but I still like it much better than the original.  Thank you very much Peter for the quick answers and the incredible and cannot be expected  support. 🙏  I am very happy that after a long search I finally chose the Lumin and the x1.

Screenshot 2022-10-20 at 15.44.26.png

Is that the X1 power supply AND an X1 streamer, or is it an A1, S1 or T3? :-)

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, skyline said:

Has anyone tried different DC cables on their modded Lumin (to run on LPS)?

I  recently went from a 1.5m Neotech copper to a .3m Ghent Gotham for my Lumin streamer, and it sounded like I upgraded the power supply or streamer. The Gotham is so much quieter.

Whether it was because of the shorter length or better wire, I don’t know. But someone recommended .3m length for better performance.

Do you use the standard S1 power supply or the X1 power supply upgrade? I would like to find out if Gotham do one for connecting  the X1 Power supply to the S1.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Sanjeev said:

@wklie

I remember long back you advised not to connect RCA and XLR of Lumin X1 at same time….., In this connection , I have a fully discrete pre amp ATC SCA2 having six inputs ( four RCA and two XLR). So if I connect both RCA and XLR from X1 to preamp but using onely one input I.e RCA or XLR whether it will degrade sound. Reason for connecting RCA and XLR is that in some music RCA works better than XLR while in some XLR.So it is for convenience.

whether merely connecting RCA and XLR at same time activates some circuit which can degrade sound?

I also use a Lumin with the SCA2 and huge active ATCs. I found that the best match is to always use the balanced XLR connection.

So I'm watching this with great interest!