IGNORED

Another new CAPS-like server

First, thanks to everyone on the CA forums, and especially to Chris, for all of the valuable information about computer audio. I was inspired by Chris' CAPSv2 server to build my own with a few changes. The main changes are: (1) don't need portability, so can use a full width case, and (2) more processing power, so that operations like loading pictures are faster. I intend to use J-River and my audio files are stored on a NAS drive in another room. I figure that eventually the costs of SSD drives will come down (as sizes go up), so that audio files may eventually be stored on an internal SSD. The goal is to pair this with an asynchronous USB DAC (still undecided and suggestions welcome).

I really like the HD-PLEX case. The copper heatpipe system is very well designed and super-high quality. The baseplate is heavy, solid copper and I've had no issues with the CPU getting hot, even under full load. Also, the flat black faceplate allows it to disappear on the shelf.

Here are some pictures and a description of the build (with costs).

HD-PLEX H5.S Case [$268]

80W fanless PSU (from HD-PLEX) [$58]

SOtM PCIe USB 3.0 Card [$350]

SOtM SATA noise filter [$65]

Samsung 830 128GB SSD [$70]

Kingston HyperX 1600 8GB RAM [$37]

Gigabyte Q77 microATX motherboard [$135]

Intel i3-3220T CPU (35W) [$128]

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit [$112]

I don't have any listening impressions yet; the candidate DACs are on order. Thanks again!

Photo 8.jpg

Photo 7.jpg

Photo 6.jpg

Photo 5.jpg

Photo 4.jpg

Photo 3.jpg

Photo 2.jpg

Photo 1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Dave,

Any thoughts on your build here? Was is better than expected?

This was my first computer build and the process was much easier than I expected. Installing the CPU and the heatpipe system (including the thermal paste), putting the case and components together physically, attaching all the connections, installing Windows, installing drivers for the motherboard and for the SOtM card all went without a single problem. I completely expected to have some difficulties along the way, and there wasn't a single thing that came up where I said, "Hmm, wonder why it isn't working?"

With regard to it functioning well as a computer, it's also great. I find the speed of the system very fast, especially boot times from the SSD (about 20 sec). I performed a stress test (15 hours using Prime95) to see how the heatpipe system was working and the max CPU temperature was 61C (ambient room temp = 20C, although inside the cabinet was hotter). I haven't had any problems with the SOtM PCIe card and Windows 7, even though Chris reported a lot of difficulties with that combination (see his new CAPS server models). I haven't yet tested the USB connection with a DAC supporting up to 24/192 (USB Audio 2), so it's possible that I still may encounter problems. It works fine with the default Windows driver when it's connected to my V-DAC (USB Audio 1). I don't know, but I wonder if the fact that I'm using the latest Ivy Bridge CPU (i3-3220T) and chipset (Q77), which have built-in USB 3.0 support, allows this to work, where it doesn't so well on Chris' DN2800T board. Don't know, just guessing at this point. I also love how it looks. The flat black front simply disappears on the shelf, which is what I want. Since there are no controls or knobs or displays on the computer, I'd like it to be invisible without hiding it.

With regard to how it sounds, the jury is still out. I think it sounds better feeding my V-DAC with USB from the new computer (running JRiver) than what I was using before, feeding my V-DAC with optical from an Airport Express fed by wired ethernet (running iTunes). I haven't done a lot of extensive listening yet, and I don't know that I have the best ears. What I'm really waiting for is a test with a fully Asynchronous USB DAC, which is why I built the server using the SOtM card. I have a couple of DACs on order, but I'm open to any suggestions (price limit about $1000).

Well done :-) Really nice. At the moment I would go with the Intel i3-3220T CPU (35W), too.

The power consumption vs. speed of this CPU is state of the art!

And I like the case!!

But I would use only one RAM and not two of them. (And you can try different power supplies.)

(My audio system with Atom330 needs 24W vs. my desktop with i7-3770T needs 22W - both running Win7 idle. The i3 will beat all of them. :-)

Yeh Dave, thanks for posting. This is great! Fab. case.

Re upgrading inbuilt storage, as an alternative, do you think you could fit in 2x 512 SSD into your set up?

And if so would the power unit chosen cope?

Cheers. And thanks so much for sharing your build.

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Yeh Dave, thanks for posting. This is great! Fab. case.

Re upgrading inbuilt storage, as an alternative, do you think you could fit in 2x 512 SSD into your set up?

And if so would the power unit chosen cope?

Cheers. And thanks so much for sharing your build.

Glad you like it. So far, I don't have a thing that I'd change. Yes, an additional 2 x 512G SSDs would fit, although you might have to lose the SOtM SATA filter (for sure, there's not enough room for one on every drive; don't know if that would be a big deal). For me, the price of the SSDs is still too high; for now, I'll keep using a NAS for music storage. When 1TB of SSD hits the $200 mark, then I'll think about switching. My understanding is that SSDs use almost no power, so the PSU should be fine.

Thanks Dave. Cool. Yeh I'm not sure of the value in "filtering" a SSD either. What I like about playing straight of a SSD is 1/ no streaming from NAS issues and 2/ nil electrical or ground loop issues (if CAPS) can be battery powered. Maybe you could squeeze in a wifi card somehow???

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

Also Dave, mind me asking you why you chose the Giganit MB over the CA CAPS Intel DN2800MT? Would the Intel DN2800MT fit this case? Cheers

Also Dave, mind me asking you why you chose the Giganit MB over the CA CAPS Intel DN2800MT? Would the Intel DN2800MT fit this case? Cheers

The Intel DN2800MT would easily fit in this case, but I wanted a faster CPU than the Atom processor. Since the H5.S case has a heatpipe system for heat dissipation, you can go with a higher wattage CPU and not have any temperature issues. There are several different motherboards that would have worked very well with the SOtM USB card and the i3-3220T CPU. The Gigabyte was the one that had the best combination of features/reliability that I was looking for.